Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How dare you compare him to the all mighty Beaulieu!
For what it's worth...I never got what the fuss was about with Beaulieu.

If it wasn't for his skating, I don't think he'd be in the NHL.

There certainly are similarities with how he and Reilly play, both prone to brain cramps but I get the feeling with Reilly that he's going to learn from them

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

There certainly are similarities with how he and Reilly play, both prone to brain cramps but I get the feeling with Reilly that he's going to learn from them
He was supposed to turn into a star player under Housley lol. Hopefully Reilly keeps this up, Mete-Petry-Juulsen-Reilly is a great skating defense. Maybe even add in a dman with our first pick.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He was supposed to turn into a star player under Housley lol. Hopefully Reilly keeps this up, Mete-Petry-Juulsen-Reilly is a great skating defense. Maybe even add in a dman with our first pick.

I really doubting the accuracy of this... especially when the talk was about protecting him over Benn.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC

Well, with how terrible he's doing this year(48gp, 7pts, -17), I'm not even sure he will be in the NHL next year. To think we all thought only getting a 3rd rounder for him wasn't enough... Now he's probably not even worth future considerations with his 2.4m cap hit next year.

Reactions: montreal and 417

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Our pk was bad tonight...its been bad all season but tonight was a disaster.

Alzner can't play on the PK anymore...I can't stand it. Gotta play the kids more often...why not try Reilly more?

Alzner always puck watching, never working his man, never putting his stick in the passing lanes.

And Benn playing like he's a goalie yet somehow, even though he's kneeled on the ice, shots wizz pass him 98% of the time...I'm starting to think he's only pretending to block shots...

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He was supposed to become a good player under Housley. Top 4 dman. No pressure, more ice time...etc. That has been said many times. People just need to accept that he isn't good.

He absolutely has not lived up to his potential. Definitely not a physical issue - his lies between the ears I'm afraid. I really thought he'd eventually put it together. Too bad.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I like Reilly. You can tell he has some high end skill in him. I don't think he felt he could really let loose in Minny since one mistake would send him to the press box. I'd love for him to find his game here. A 5th is a steal for him regardless. He clearly looks a step above Shlemko/Morrow/Benn/Davidson/Jerebek/Streit/(anybody else?)

Reactions: 417

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He needs work on his d game

But nice first pass and decent shot and skating

Can get way more points then Beaulieu

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Our pk was bad tonight...its been bad all season but tonight was a disaster.

Alzner can't play on the PK anymore...I can't stand it. Gotta play the kids more often...why not try Reilly more?

Alzner always puck watching, never working his man, never putting his stick in the passing lanes.

And Benn playing like he's a goalie yet somehow, even though he's kneeled on the ice, shots wizz pass him 98% of the time...I'm starting to think he's only pretending to block shots...

We have the 4th best PK at home.
We have the 31st best PK on the road.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Well, with how terrible he's doing this year(48gp, 7pts, -17), I'm not even sure he will be in the NHL next year. To think we all thought only getting a 3rd rounder for him wasn't enough... Now he's probably not even worth future considerations with his 2.4m cap hit next year.

He will still have his chances. His skating is too attractive in today's game. His skating and 1st round pick status is his saving grace these days.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
And some could reply to you easily, that you are a fan of Bergevin, not the team. It works both ways.

But again, NOBODY in their right mind would hate Bergevin if we bring a Cup home. It's ludicrous to even suggest this. EVERYBODY would eat crow. That's NEVER the thing here. We just don't think it's possible. We don't want to keep using him as we don't see the improvement. Nobody here hates him because he smells. But because he doesn't do a good job. So if we believe that he doesn't, why should we continue using him?

I understand your logic, sums up well how everyone here feels i think. But that doesn't mean jaffy doesn't make a good point. You have to acknowledge that there are just as much blind haters than there are blind supporters for MB. For every fan like jaffy who is willing to wait and see there are many exhausted, vocal fans that won't acknowledge or give credit to MB for anything.

Reactions: 417

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If he finishes the year strong and has a good offseason, he could be a breakout candidate next year for us. I thought he was a future 40p/year type dman when he was leaving college and that upside could still be there.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Reilly's defensive play no doubt needs work but I am again impressed with his offensive abilities. He is quick and can cycle the puck but unlike Beaulieu, Reilly has the IQ to make offensive players and the ability to. Reilly is essentially the defenseman we hoped or mistakenly thought Beaulieu would be. I'm very excited to see how he progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad