Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's not that I think Reilly isn't better than a 5th round pick- it's that I don't understand why you pay for a guy like Reilly just to clog up your system even more and block guys like Lernout from coming up. He's easily replacable in UFA anyways, so why give up an asset unnecessarily?

in case you think you have something due to him not getting the exposure, ice time that he needs. They have very little to lose in trying to uncover something that may be better then he's shown. Since the Habs are one of the worst teams in the league, would be surprised if UFA's would want to sign here unless overpaid by a decent amount. Lernout needs to play better in the AHL in order to force his way up to the NHL so there really isn't anyone that Reilly is blocking. It's a smart move imo.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Reilly is the second coming of Beaulieu. Not quite the same, but theyre similar in the sense that both suck defensively and are good skaters in a pretty big body. Reilly is too risky for what he is. If he was putting up 40 points a game, his mistakes would be fine- but instead we have a bottom pairing defenseman walking out infront of his own net and coughing the puck up, and getting walked repeatedly. A forward comes his way and he just skates to the side and swings his stick aimlessly. Wasted 5th round pick right here.

well the upside is he's young and hasnt had many nhl games so we cant say for sure if he has hit his defensive ceiling. if he'sngot enough iq he can improve it over the next few years

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
in case you think you have something due to him not getting the exposure, ice time that he needs. They have very little to lose in trying to uncover something that may be better then he's shown. Since the Habs are one of the worst teams in the league, would be surprised if UFA's would want to sign here unless overpaid by a decent amount. Lernout needs to play better in the AHL in order to force his way up to the NHL so there really isn't anyone that Reilly is blocking. It's a smart move imo.
Depth UFAs will sign anywhere just to hold down a job in the NHL. That's all we need for the tank anyways. Sure, maybe Reilly turns out to be something- but when healthy, we have too many defensemen who belong as 5/6 guys. And as a 5/6 guy, I'd prefer someone who can hold their own defensively and doesn't take unnecessary risks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Depth UFAs will sign anywhere just to hold down a job in the NHL. That's all we need for the tank anyways. Sure, maybe Reilly turns out to be something- but when healthy, we have too many defensemen who belong as 5/6 guys. And as a 5/6 guy, I'd prefer someone who can hold their own defensively and doesn't take unnecessary risks.

Well NHL GM's shouldn't be looking at getting players for a tank job. Reilly is 24 and a solid puck moving defensemen so it makes a lot of sense to try and strike gold there. Who cares if we have turds at 5/6, they can be traded, sent to Laval, bought out, told to f*** off. We should be looking at making moves to get better in the future. Jerabek, Carr, DLR should have been playing every game. Getting Reilly is just a smart move imo. If it doesn't pan out oh well we are going to suck either way, might as well suck with young players and hope you find a diamond in the ruff.

As for preferring someone who can hold their own defensively, no offense but who cares what you prefer, it's about what will help the team in the future since that's all that matters now.

He'll be Shea Weber's next partner next season. Book it.

that actually makes sense, as he would be a great partner for him and could really help cover his defensive issues. I like it better then Mete since he doesn't produce enough offense to be on the top pairing imo.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Reilly has quietly been very good, I could definitely see him with Weber next year. Roll with 3 balanced pairings, with one of the youngsters on each one.

Reilly-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
(Valiev-Lernout)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
that actually makes sense, as he would be a great partner for him and could really help cover his defensive issues. I like it better then Mete since he doesn't produce enough offense to be on the top pairing imo.
I wasn't making a joke. We really don't have anyone better....he certainly can post points.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He really has been pretty good. Good skating and he generally plays the puck well.

Minnesota has a great d corps so maybe this guy wasn't getting a fair shake. let's see what the rest of the season holds in store.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
DLR as a top-4 D? Like in real life?

I doubt he amounts to much up front so I don't think there's much downside in trying, in real life.. He's got all the tools of a good NHLer, just no offensive aptitude. Hard to be anything other than a dime a dozen player at forward without offensive aptitude in today's game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Reilly has quietly been very good, I could definitely see him with Weber next year. Roll with 3 balanced pairings, with one of the youngsters on each one.

Reilly-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
(Valiev-Lernout)

People just never learn. A guy who comes in on a new team does well. In a time where there are absolutely no challenges and goals. And now, in March, he's a candiate for 1st pairing. Insane. No need to get a d-man Bergie....you have one already.

People don't remember how Benn looked at first? People and Bergie don't remember how Schlemko was supposed to come in and save the day?

Yes, Reilly looks good now. What does that mean? It means that he's buying himself a ticket to NEXT PRESEASON. That's all.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
People just never learn. A guy who comes in on a new team does well. In a time where there are absolutely no challenges and goals. And now, in March, he's a candiate for 1st pairing. Insane. No need to get a d-man Bergie....you have one already.

People don't remember how Benn looked at first? People and Bergie don't remember how Schlemko was supposed to come in and save the day?

Does he look better than Benn/Jerabek/Morrow to you? If so, he can make the team.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He does. For now. But how the heck does that mean 1st pairing?????

To be fair I didn't post that but I think he can at least be an interesting player in the bottom two pairings. He's 24 and won a hobey baker - he has talent but he may need a leash that's longer than in minnesota's tight defensive system.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's not that I think Reilly isn't better than a 5th round pick- it's that I don't understand why you pay for a guy like Reilly just to clog up your system even more and block guys like Lernout from coming up. He's easily replacable in UFA anyways, so why give up an asset unnecessarily?

Lernout is a RD, whereas Rielly is a LD.

Our LD depth is:
Mete
Alzner
Rielly
Benn (plays both left and right)
Schlemko (plays both left and right)
Valiev

and some pure ahl guys.

Prospects: Tyszka and Walford

Based on the games they've played so far, Rielly is the best between Benn, Schlemko, and Valiev.

I expect Benn and Schlemko to be traded this summer.
We should also be front-runners for signing Jimmy Schuldt.

If Valiev, Schultd, or someone else overtakes Rielly's job in training camp then we could just trade Rielly.
We got him for a 5th, but I think we could trade him for a 4th.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Lernout is a RD, whereas Rielly is a LD.

Our LD depth is:
Mete
Alzner
Rielly
Benn (plays both left and right)
Schlemko (plays both left and right)
Valiev

and some pure ahl guys.

Prospects: Tyszka and Walford

Based on the games they've played so far, Rielly is the best between Benn, Schlemko, and Valiev.

I expect Benn and Schlemko to be traded this summer.
We should also be front-runners for signing Jimmy Schuldt.

If Valiev, Schultd, or someone else overtakes Rielly's job in training camp then we could just trade Rielly.
We got him for a 5th, but I think we could trade him for a 4th.
I guess so. Disagree with the we could trade him for a 4th part tho. If no one would pay a 4th for him before, why would they now? Maybe some team develops the need and decides too, maybe more teams fill that void and he's only worth a 6th or a 7th.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I guess so. Disagree with the we could trade him for a 4th part tho. If no one would pay a 4th for him before, why would they now? Maybe some team develops the need and decides too, maybe more teams fill that void and he's only worth a 6th or a 7th.

After the trade happened, the overall opinion was that a 5th for Rielly was a good deal for the habs since Rielly should be worth a little more than a 5th rounder.

The trade also happened at the last second (the trade was announced way after the deadline) so maybe that affected his value.

Also, Rielly should be worth more now because he's playing much more (22 min with the habs vs 12 min with the wilds) and looking good. Basically, just like how nobody wanted Davidson when he was on the habs, but after the oilers picked him up and gave him regular icetime, he got traded for a 3rd.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
After the trade happened, the overall opinion was that a 5th for Rielly was a good deal for the habs since Rielly should be worth a little more than a 5th rounder.

The trade also happened at the last second (the trade was announced way after the deadline) so maybe that affected his value.

Also, Rielly should be worth more now because he's playing much more (22 min with the habs vs 12 min with the wilds) and looking good. Basically, just like how nobody wanted Davidson when he was on the habs, but after the oilers picked him up and gave him regular icetime, he got traded for a 3rd.
I don't know if Reilly is looking "good" though. He's fast and has offensive tools, as well as the size to be a good defenseman- but he's far too risky and just doesn't have it together in his own zone. We'll see if he can improve in that area as he's only 24, but I'm not holding my breath

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Reilly is a very good find. Remember he is playing on a depleted team. Those who say it won't last are the same that were not convinced that Danault and Byron were great pickups. Turn it the way you want, Reilly is as fast and mobile as Beaulieu, but he seems to have a better hockey IQ. I don't understand how somebody can be negative about Reilly. Almost the whole league was after him three years ago. I think it's a player coaches can work with.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Yes, Reilly looks good now. What does that mean? It means that he's buying himself a ticket to NEXT PRESEASON. That's all.

This is true. We have to be cautious about how we evaluate players down the stretch here. It's fun to watch them and get a sense for them, but it's not wise to take too much stock in projections based on these games. Look at Louis Leblanc who actually looked like he could become an NHL, then stagnated... there's a million examples. I still like Reilly though... he is exactly the type of player we need and worth a shot ;)

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Reilly-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
(Valiev-Lernout)

I don't see Reilly as having proven he can be a top pairing dman. But if we're developing the youth and tanking, that will work. Ideally we find a LHD to play with Weber and give Reilly and Valiev the opportunity to beat out Alzner, at which Alzner. Scratch that, we trade Alzner and give Valiev and Reilly the no. 6/injury replacement role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad