Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Fine, you hate the guy, you hate the guy, I'm so good with that, but since when is the urge to hate a GM supercede the success of the team?? It's clearly become more of that on these boards. It ain't Canadiens discussion anymore, it's become a place to vent ones hate. Since when is "**** you Bergevin" become a point of discussion after a HABS win?

If he makes a good aquisition, why not like it? Why automatically hate it? Why automatically peg it as a disaster of a trade.....oh no, we gave up a 5th rounder in 2019 (WAS) for Reilly who's already posted 3pts........I know if it would be the other way around, if we traded Reilly, it would be repeated that the Washington 5th is practically a 6th, but in this case, it's a 5th for a depth D on Minnesota, no mention of that 5th practically being a 6th.

How quickly we forget how this organization gave up on Pateryn and that he's doing so well in Dallas but when we aquire a D from another organization, the notion of that D becoming anything is quickly squashed and will be disproved at all cost. So it's possible for D or forwards to leave here and become something, but impossible the other way around?

If Bergevins next 4 moves involve getting a true number one centre, a #2LHD, gets rid of Pacioretty for good young prospects and drafts really good young players in 2018.......what would be your reaction? Would it be to trying to disprove everything he's done? Or would you give him props and support him?

Wasn't it nice to see Juulsen and Reilley play the way they did last night?
I don't care what the ass hat does from this moment forward, I will hate him until he is gone. f*** the binman.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Fine, you hate the guy, you hate the guy, I'm so good with that, but since when is the urge to hate a GM supercede the success of the team?? It's clearly become more of that on these boards. It ain't Canadiens discussion anymore, it's become a place to vent ones hate. Since when is "**** you Bergevin" become a point of discussion after a HABS win?

If he makes a good aquisition, why not like it? Why automatically hate it? Why automatically peg it as a disaster of a trade.....oh no, we gave up a 5th rounder in 2019 (WAS) for Reilly who's already posted 3pts........I know if it would be the other way around, if we traded Reilly, it would be repeated that the Washington 5th is practically a 6th, but in this case, it's a 5th for a depth D on Minnesota, no mention of that 5th practically being a 6th.

How quickly we forget how this organization gave up on Pateryn and that he's doing so well in Dallas but when we aquire a D from another organization, the notion of that D becoming anything is quickly squashed and will be disproved at all cost. So it's possible for D or forwards to leave here and become something, but impossible the other way around?

If Bergevins next 4 moves involve getting a true number one centre, a #2LHD, gets rid of Pacioretty for good young prospects and drafts really good young players in 2018.......what would be your reaction? Would it be to trying to disprove everything he's done? Or would you give him props and support him?

Wasn't it nice to see Juulsen and Reilley play the way they did last night?

It supercede the success of a team because keeping him does not equal this team being succesful? Bergevin was able to bring Byron. Did a great deal with Danault. But as of now, it does not do a SINGLE team to the sucess of this team. And being succesful now, while it's still good to see, means nothing when we will start a new season. Jordie Benn looks to look great at first. We've seen DLR looking awesome at first. We had McCarron looking huge and great out there. Unfortunately, there are more stories of players looking great and fading out then guys totally invisible and looking awesome. So that's probably a reason why people should be more careful when somebody is doing great at first....But it's not only that....it's now a question of a team playing with no pressure now. It happened so many times that in that situation players do look better.

So yes, it's great to see those kids doing fine. I'M happy about that. But in no way shape or form does it change what I think about Bergevin. Nor should it be a sign that he is "improving". He's throwing his lines in the water. That's his first strategy. AT one point, he will catch a few fishes. And my point is that while it should be accessory to a GM job, it shouldn't be ALL his job. And that's what I think it is right now. Let say that miraculously, we are able to get Dahlin.....and Tavares.....and we had another top 6 winger, and another scoring C......etc......and we look so much better EVEN THOUGH we hate the GM, you don't think we wil gladly go back at hoping the success of our team and hopiong Reilly and Juulsen do great when it counts the most? Do you believe we wouldn't love coming back and spank TBay and Boston? I know I would. I know a majority would if not everybody. BUt we are just not convinced AT ALL that it will happen with Bergevin on top. And that Molson is too stupid to realize it unless we struggle so much. Again, they have a tougher time realizing it with Lefebvre...imagine what it could take for the NHL team....

Reactions: Sorinth

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I agree - Bergevin is a good hole-plugger. The problem is he's not an architect.
I was trying to explain this to my father but youve put it in better words, im writing it down thanks lol

band aid wise? bergevin is the BEST lol..the problem is he's the one committing self-inflicting wounds.. its hard to defend the guy

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And some could reply to you easily, that you are a fan of Bergevin, not the team. It works both ways.
What you were saying is partly true. There's another part that you didn't mention. The part that says that's all MB does is tinker with fringe NHLers. Many posters - even though I've started calling him the Idiot I am one of those posters - would stop hating on MB if he suddenly developed a vision and a plan of attack on how to construct a winning franchise. However, his constant tinkering of our 4th line and/or 6th, 7th and 8th d-men is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Improving slightly or even noticeably the 4th line or the third pair will not improve the team substantially if the real serious holes are not addressed: 2 top centers and a top pairing left d.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
And some could reply to you easily, that you are a fan of Bergevin, not the team. It works both ways.
You are wrong as his statement is predicated on the team becoming successful , so yea me too an avid hater of mb would welcome the team becoming successful even under his reign

Reactions: 417

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You are wrong as his statement is predicated on the team becoming successful , so yea me too an avid hater of mb would welcome the team becoming successful even under his reign

But again, NOBODY in their right mind would hate Bergevin if we bring a Cup home. It's ludicrous to even suggest this. EVERYBODY would eat crow. That's NEVER the thing here. We just don't think it's possible. We don't want to keep using him as we don't see the improvement. Nobody here hates him because he smells. But because he doesn't do a good job. So if we believe that he doesn't, why should we continue using him?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think he's great!!......I believe he's done some good things and poor ones in his tenure......the point here is that posters are automatically blasting any player that Bergevin aquires even though they havent even played one effin game because it's a "Bergevin" aquisition......I mean, how immature is that!!

Come on. Reilly has 86 games under his belt and his 25 years old soon. Some people here actually watch hockey outside of the CH games. So far Reilly did not impress at all at the NHL level. It's not about blasting Reilly it's about telling the usual crowd to temper their exception. Benn was all over the place last year too. Could Reilly develop late like Justin Schultz or Colin Miller? Yes it's possible. It's also possible Beaulieu could. They are about the same age there's half a year of difference. They are in the same boat. People refusing to acknowledge this wont change this fact. Mike Reilly is a dime a dozen prospect who is at the cross road. Pretty much all teams have 2 or 3 of them.

There's no denying Reilly has potential. But so far it did not translate to the NHL. I have no problem with giving him a chance if it means one of Benn or Schlemko are out of the team and the other is not playing when the team is healthy. At least Reilly might progress to other two are not NHL players at this point of their career and it wont get better. But to say Reilly will solve anything is being ludicrous.

I have no doubt MB will strike something again eventually. Maybe it's Reilly who knows? He strikes into water so much it's normal for him to eventually hit something like Weise or Byron. But that's not how you build a team. Eventually MB will have to address the needs of this team (first pairing LHD and top 6 centers) and Mike Reilly is not really a need at all. Mike Reilly at best will be a stop gap like Paul Byron is. We need a first pairing LHD and Mike Reilly is not one. That's the whole point of the debate. Pretending he is wont change this fact.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't care what the ass hat does from this moment forward, I will hate him until he is gone. **** the binman.

I care what he does. If somehow he drafts a LHD this summer who becomes a first pairing LHD and acquire a first line center and the team reaches the stanley cup final then i'll give him props. I still care about this team and i want it to do good.

But i wont cheer for his depth acquisitions anymore. At one point Marc Bergevin will need to step up his game. He said last year it was up to the kids to develop themselves and figure it out. Maybe he's not realizing it because he has an ego as big as the universe but he's in the same boat as those kids. He's a prospect not delivering it and like AG and Drouin he needs to step up his game and stop doing the bare minimum.

I have no trouble with giving Mike Reilly one last chance. Like i would not have any trouble with giving Pateryn a chance had we kept him. My moto is anything but Jordie Benn and Brian Shclemko. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change anything for this team. We are still missing a top pairing LHD and two top 6 centers. And acquiring them before Weber and Price are done as elite players wont be easy. The clock is ticking fast. Refusing to acknowledge it like some guys do wont stop it from ticking.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I care what he does. If somehow he drafts a LHD this summer who becomes a first pairing LHD and acquire a first line center and the team reaches the stanley cup final then i'll give him props. I still care about this team and i want it to do good.

But i wont cheer for his depth acquisitions anymore. At one point Marc Bergevin will need to step up his game. He said last year it was up to the kids to develop themselves and figure it out. Maybe he's not realizing it because he has an ego as big as the universe but he's in the same boat as those kids. He's a prospect not delivering it and like AG and Drouin he needs to step up his game and stop doing the bare minimum.

I have no trouble with giving Mike Reilly one last chance. Like i would not have any trouble with giving Pateryn a chance had we kept him. My moto is anything but Jordie Benn and Brian Shclemko. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't change anything for this team. We are still missing a top pairing LHD and two top 6 centers. And acquiring them before Weber and Price are done as elite players wont be easy. The clock is ticking fast. Refusing to acknowledge it like some guys do wont stop it from ticking.

His name's David. ;)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
he's truly what i hoped beaulieu would be, he could maybe thrive next to weber or petry, preferably weber

but he's got the tools for that top 4 LD spot

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Mike Reilly could be a great find by Marc Bergevin. Reilly has great speed, a valuable asset for a young defenseman.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No, I've come out and made a list of things I've disliked of Bergevin, see, I can call out the good and the bad, some posters can't, like that poster who says no matter what Bergevin does, he will hate him......

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Come on. Reilly has 86 games under his belt and his 25 years old soon. Some people here actually watch hockey outside of the CH games. So far Reilly did not impress at all at the NHL level. It's not about blasting Reilly it's about telling the usual crowd to temper their exception. Benn was all over the place last year too. Could Reilly develop late like Justin Schultz or Colin Miller? Yes it's possible. It's also possible Beaulieu could. They are about the same age there's half a year of difference. They are in the same boat. People refusing to acknowledge this wont change this fact. Mike Reilly is a dime a dozen prospect who is at the cross road. Pretty much all teams have 2 or 3 of them.

There's no denying Reilly has potential. But so far it did not translate to the NHL. I have no problem with giving him a chance if it means one of Benn or Schlemko are out of the team and the other is not playing when the team is healthy. At least Reilly might progress to other two are not NHL players at this point of their career and it wont get better. But to say Reilly will solve anything is being ludicrous.

I have no doubt MB will strike something again eventually. Maybe it's Reilly who knows? He strikes into water so much it's normal for him to eventually hit something like Weise or Byron. But that's not how you build a team. Eventually MB will have to address the needs of this team (first pairing LHD and top 6 centers) and Mike Reilly is not really a need at all. Mike Reilly at best will be a stop gap like Paul Byron is. We need a first pairing LHD and Mike Reilly is not one. That's the whole point of the debate. Pretending he is wont change this fact.
Who thinks Reilly is a first pairing D? Lol

He's a 5 who can probably fill in a top 4 with injuries. He can skate and handle the puck, this is what the fans have been screaming for, we aquire it, what happens........more bytching......oh, we gave a 5th....:laugh:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mike Reilly could be a great find by Marc Bergevin. Reilly has great speed, a valuable asset for a young defenseman.
Well, I've seen some defensive misques but skill is there also. Habs are in a position this season where we can give him 20+ games to fixed his defense. If he does could be a good one. Wild wasn't in this position. Every goal matters to them.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
His decision making is weird at times but he's been really solid as a puck mover/distributor. We may have stumbled on a little something there . Put him with a reliable defense first dman to cover for him a little and he could play a lot of minutes next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad