Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks! He kind of remind me of a LHD Justin Schultz when I see him play.

is that a good thing or a bad thing? Edmonton cut him loose. He then had one good year with Pittsburgh and got the huge contract. His numbers are down since.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
is that a good thing or a bad thing? Edmonton cut him loose. He then had one good year with Pittsburgh and got the huge contract. His numbers are down since.
Well for a 5th I think it’s a good thing, he still is a valuable puck moving D.

Reactions: Habs100

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's actually not bad defensively at all. He's a gambler offensively, but when it's time to play D, he knows what he's doing.

He's a legit NHLer who's looking a 2nd pairing guy to me.

Reactions: WinterLion

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He's actually not bad defensively at all. He's a gambler offensively, but when it's time to play D, he knows what he's doing.

I think he needs a little more polish and seasoning but he has top 4 potential. I heard his confidence is low after playing so little in Minnesota. Hopefully he stays healthy and plays 22 minutes a night for the rest of the year. Ideally he starts out on the bottom pair next year but still gets 18 minutes.

Reactions: WinterLion

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Honestly, the main weakness I find with him is that he tends to make weird decisions at times with the puck. Outside of that he's at least decent at pretty much everything. He's not physical for a dman but he manages not to lose too many battles so I don't see that as a real flaw. With a bit more confidence he could grow into a top 4 role.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I know +/- can sometimes be misleading, but the guy is +2 in this one-sided game.

+2 on this +2. In a blowout game, where where most are not positive, a 5th round pickup getting plus two is not shabby.

Still have hope for him. Even if he isn't top 4 ... a super solid 5, played in that role, is great.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He could use more pp time but he is better then shlemko and morrow

He should take Benn spot next year

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Benn has regressed to the point where he'd be an addition by subtraction right now. Alzner doesn't do much either be he at least generally stays within his limitations and plays a relativement safe game. Reilly can take Benn's spot anytime next year in my book.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Two things he has that Beaulieu didn't are he can actually shoot the puck (Beaulieu would either miss the net or shoot it into the opposition's shin pads 90% of the time) and he has good vision and can find guys with passes.

Obviously he has some defensive issues, but he's still young and is finally getting a chance to play bigger minutes. Been happy with him so far, it is nice to have another D who can actually skate and make tape to tape passes.

Reactions: montreal

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
His offensive contributions have been and should continue to be fine.

It's his play with the puck on the defensive zone that will make or break him. He looks a tad weak with the puck sometimes. He mishandles it and that has led to turnovers. Also, he's made some errant passes. We'll see.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
One big thing I've notice with him is his ability to recover from his mistakes. Whenever he gaffes up the puck he is able to get it back or at least get it away from a danger area.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
One big thing I've notice with him is his ability to recover from his mistakes. Whenever he gaffes up the puck he is able to get it back or at least get it away from a danger area.
Great observation. It is these plays which make me think he's actually decent defensively.

His biggest issue is turning the puck over, not his defensive play.

Regardless, he's been a bright spot since he's gotten here, and I don't see why he wouldn't have one of the LD spots locked down for the forseeable future.

Reactions: donghabs98

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Look at how positive this thread has become, now look at everyone's reaction when the trade happened:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-minnesota-for-a-2019-5th-round-pick.2455723/

If you put your personal biases aside you can see things much more clearly, life lessons on HF.

I never commented on the trade but I refuse to look at anything this year as an indicator. Look at Andrighetto or DSP getting traded from here and going on unsustainable runs. The only thing I take from it was that MB couldnt escape the slaps of reality that puck movers are necessary and that his "better than last year" defense needed another overhaul on the left side.

Reactions: montreal and LaP

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Look at how positive this thread has become, now look at everyone's reaction when the trade happened:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-minnesota-for-a-2019-5th-round-pick.2455723/

If you put your personal biases aside you can see things much more clearly, life lessons on HF.

Trade threads are never a good indicator of getting an impression of a new player. There will be knowledge posts but most of the posts (which I am guilty of as well) are emotion driven/biased due to knowledge differences between the player traded/acquired. The Diaz/Weise trade thread is a good example of this.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I never commented on the trade but I refuse to look at anything this year as an indicator. Look at Andrighetto or DSP getting traded from here and going on unsustainable runs. The only thing I take from it was that MB couldnt escape the slaps of reality that puck movers are necessary and that his "better than last year" defense needed another overhaul on the left side.

Bergevin's failure on defense had a trickle effect on the rest of the team. Price was left to dry (although this doesn't excuse his play) many times because the defense couldn't move the puck which meant the forwards couldn't move the puck up effectively and it meant extra energy spent running around in our own zone. Bergevin fell into the narrative that Price is the team and assumed if he could just get a bunch of defensive defenseman then it would help Price and in turn lead to success. It's a narrow minded approach that logically failed in spectacular fashion. By getting Reilly and playing Mete and Juulsen, at least it means that the organization realized its mistake.

Reactions: Perrah

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

People were mad because of their tunnel vision within an echo chamber. We were sellers, so why trade a pick? Well because we were able to flip a late pick for a nice young left handed defenseman, that's why.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
People were mad because of their tunnel vision within an echo chamber. We were sellers, so why trade a pick? Well because we were able to flip a late pick for a nice young left handed defenseman, that's why.

Sorry another 2nd pairing dman, throw a parade.

Bergevin makes good periphery moves, aside from 1 year of radulov, his core moves have been a tire fire.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007

I think people were upset more about our needs going forward and picking up a toss away from another team felt like the last thing that was needed. We need a number 1 center and the expectations were that we would trade Pacioretty to get a 1st rounder plus prospect when it did not happen and this was the big trade of the day for Montreal people got rowdy.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
People weren't pissed at the deal.. they were pissed that instead of making a real trade, Marc was once again doing nothing but bargain binning. Nobody doubts him as a bargain binner but he clearly is not capable of making the big trades (and winning them).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Trade threads are never a good indicator of getting an impression of a new player. There will be knowledge posts but most of the posts (which I am guilty of as well) are emotion driven/biased due to knowledge differences between the player traded/acquired. The Diaz/Weise trade thread is a good example of this.

Small sample size is not either

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Sorry another 2nd pairing dman, throw a parade.

Bergevin makes good periphery moves, aside from 1 year of radulov, his core moves have been a tire fire.

If Reilly can replace Benn/Alzner/Sclemko on the bottom pair, that will be a good thing:

____ Weber
Mete Petry
Reilly Juulsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->