Mid Season 2015 NHL Draft Discussion - Candidates at halfway point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I am betting our next GM (Hunter) drafts Marner from London if available. Would not also surprise me if Dubas has any influence the Leafs look for either one of Blake Speers or Zachery Senychyn in the 2nd round especially if we have multiple 2nd rounders. Speers is flying in under the radar in most scouts eyes for what ever reason but I see him with solid upside and plays a game very similar to Alex Tanguay. Zachery Senychyn was a solid drafting find by Kyle Dubas and this kid oozes with raw talent. He has a blend of size blazing speed and some great hands. Don't be fooled by his mediocre production as ice time in the Sault is hard to come by but when given the ice time he has produced in a big way and during the world juniors he got to play with McCann and Speers in what I felt was some of the best chemistry I seen from any make shift line this season on the Hounds.

One player that is sliding is Travis Kopenecy if we had a 2nd 1st I would not hesitate to grab him. He has the potential to be the steal of the 1st round and in my eyes just as talented as Strome/Marner. Two other prospects that intrigue me are Lawson Crouse and Pavel Zacha.
I can really only speak for OHL prospects as I am not overly familiar with some of the other prospects. But boy seeing Travis Kopenecy rated at 26 just screams steal for me. That kid is fearless and in my eyes a sure fire NHLer with elite high end talent
Ya Travis Konecny is right behind Marner and Strome in skill level imo...

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I see alot of people bashing the notion of Crouse as a good pick. His stats don't jump out at you but watching him play sure does. He's a game changer and can physically dominate a game. If he played in a different system other then Kingston I could see him having at least another 20 points. Kingston plays a defensive style game. Don't kid your self he will never be a play maker but he has a superb shot and has huge potential to be a
Goal scorer at the next level. Ideally I want a center first and formost. A player like him can open up ice for guys like Nylander wink, wink. To be sucuseeful in the NHL you need a blend of size speed and skill. Put Crouse on a line with a playmaking skilled center like Strome with a dynamic skilled player like Nylander flanking the other wing and you have what in my oppinion would be the mold for a beautiful balanced line. Zacha is no sloutch of a player either and has been starting to really improve in my oppinion and the main reason Sarnia has been climbing in the standings. I'll be watching him pretty closely the rest of the way.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Ya Travis Konecny is right behind Marner and Strome in skill level imo...

I see lots of Robbi Fabbri in his game but with even bigger upside. If he had been playing in London, Errie or SSM he would be flourishing stats wise. I think he got off to a real slow start under a lot of pressure trying to do to much to prove his hype. He has really been playing good hockey of late in my oppinion and it has showed in the standing as Ottawa has climbed right along side with his production. Take TK out of Ottawa and they probably don't make the playoffs.

I can see scouts a tiny bit worried seeing maybe he can't handle the pressure as that happens to a lot of young players but boy oh boy does this kid have a boat load of talent and competivenes in his game. Absolutely love his compete level and style of play. He's a real treat to watch.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I see lots of Robbi Fabbri in his game but with even bigger upside. If he had been playing in London, Errie or SSM he would be flourishing stats wise. I think he got off to a real slow start under a lot of pressure trying to do to much to prove his hype. He has really been playing good hockey of late in my oppinion and it has showed in the standing as Ottawa has climbed right along side with his production. Take TK out of Ottawa and they probably don't make the playoffs.

I can see scouts a tiny bit worried seeing maybe he can't handle the pressure as that happens to a lot of young players but boy oh boy does this kid have a boat load of talent and competivenes in his game. Absolutely love his compete level and style of play. He's a real treat to watch.
The captaincy might have put a little bit of pressure on him on his draft year...

I dont think he will be a franchise piece for us, but drafting him definitely adds a really skilled top 6 player with a high compete, which is definitely needed. But hes not our Toews... We badly need a guy who can do the heavy lifting and win majority of his battles along with generate a lot of offense.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
The captaincy might have put a little bit of pressure on him on his draft year...

I dont think he will be a franchise piece for us, but drafting him definitely adds a really skilled top 6 player with a high compete, which is definitely needed. But hes not our Toews... We badly need a guy who can do the heavy lifting and win majority of his battles along with generate a lot of offense.

Agreed and finding another Toews is going to be hard to find. Dont think Strome or Marner are that caliber of prospects but both have very good potential to be good players in the NHL. But if the Leafs acquire a 2nd 1st round pick I will be screaming at the tv if Konency is still on the board and we don't take him.

I am torn between Marner and Strome. Strome seems to be more likely to translate into NHL success but Marner is the guy that could bite you in the ass for not taking. If Marner was a few inches taller it would be a no brainer and at the same time I don't see size being an issue with Marner at the next level he's just to smart. Strome on the other hand has prototypical center written all over him maybe like a Joe Thornton lite of type player. Watching Marner play I can't seem to find an NHL player to compare his style of play he really brings it from all areas of the offensive game. He is highly skilled and creative with amazing hockey sense and is both a natural goal scorer and a tremendous playmaker.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Agreed and finding another Toews is going to be hard to find. Dont think Strome or Marner are that caliber of prospects but both have very good potential to be good players in the NHL. But if the Leafs acquire a 2nd 1st round pick I will be screaming at the tv if Konency is still on the board and we don't take him.

I am torn between Marner and Strome. Strome seems to be more likely to translate into NHL success but Marner is the guy that could bite you in the ass for not taking. If Marner was a few inches taller it would be a no brainer and at the same time I don't see size being an issue with Marner at the next level he's just to smart. Strome on the other hand has prototypical center written all over him maybe like a Joe Thornton lite of type player. Watching Marner play I can't seem to find an NHL player to compare his style of play he really brings it from all areas of the offensive game. He is highly skilled and creative with amazing hockey sense and is both a natural goal scorer and a tremendous playmaker.

Giroux?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner reminds me a lot of Duchene without the elite skating. He just plays like Duchene did when he was with Brampton. Maybe it's the jersey tuck? I don't know.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Marner reminds me a lot of Duchene without the elite skating. He just plays like Duchene did when he was with Brampton. Maybe it's the jersey tuck? I don't know.

I agree stylistically they're similar, but I think Marner has a higher skill level than Duchene did in his draft year.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
When its all said and done, I predict we'll be in the Marner, Barzal, Provorov, Werenski territory, which isn't bad.

Take the most skilled player of those.

Also hoping to acquire a few 2nd rounders this year as they can really help us either to move up from where we are or get a few other high ceiling talent.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What do you like better about Zacha? I just love Stromes smarts at both ends of the ice, his skating isn't as high end and polished as Zachas but his vision is better. Honestly I would love either one and it looks like we have a chance haha.

It's not that I don't like Strome, nor do I think he's a bad prospect, I wouldn't complain at all if we grabbed him haha.

I just really like the combination that Zacha has. His vision might not be as nice as Strome's, but I still think it's very good. His stats aren't the best but he's also just making the jump to the NA ice, Guelph isn't really the best at scoring, and I think he'll adjust. But I really love his combination of size, skating and skill. Plus the guy has a high level of snarl, which is something I think we lack.

I still think Strome is the better prospect currently, but I really like Zacha.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Marner was an exceptional skater when young, perhaps others have caught up.

Marner has a brief history with Nylander as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's not that I don't like Strome, nor do I think he's a bad prospect, I wouldn't complain at all if we grabbed him haha.

I just really like the combination that Zacha has. His vision might not be as nice as Strome's, but I still think it's very good. His stats aren't the best but he's also just making the jump to the NA ice, Guelph isn't really the best at scoring, and I think he'll adjust. But I really love his combination of size, skating and skill. Plus the guy has a high level of snarl, which is something I think we lack.

I'll see Strome and McDavid tomorrow in Guelph. 1st time around Strome didn't leave me very impressed.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

I don't like him with Korostelev, he hogs the puck a lot and Zacha is more dangerous with flow and more touches, Nikita seems to think that he has to hang onto the puck for 10 seconds at a time for some reason.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Agreed, they aren't getting too much hype. I'm absolutely a huge booster of Meier in particular. I think he's going to be a guy people are going to be asking how people missed him. He's a stud.

Every year there's one or two guys like that -- how does a team pick 'em out of the woodwork?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner was an exceptional skater when young, perhaps others have caught up.

Marner has a brief history with Nylander as well.

Well compared to Duchene, it's nowhere near as good... but Duchene is an elite skater, so not a lot of prospects can compare to him in that aspect.

From what I've seen Marner is above average in terms of his skating ability (agility, speed, acceleration). He seems strong on his skates. Not an aspect of his game that stands out though.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No Barzal or Zacha in the prospects game. Kinda pisses me off. Was really hoping to get a look at Strome/Barzal/Zacha/Merkley

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
would any of Strome/Zacha/Marner have gone 1st overall if they were available last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad