Mid Season 2015 NHL Draft Discussion - Candidates at halfway point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace88*

I really hope the Blue Jays can land McDavid but with that broken hand i dont know if he'll be able to pitch fastballs again

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I really hope the Blue Jays can land McDavid but with that broken hand i dont know if he'll be able to pitch fastballs again

Yeah, in that yt clip he didn't seem to be all that great at "throwin' em"

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Roope Hintz is an intriguing center from Finland. He's 6 foot 2, 183 pounds, has 9 points in 16 games in Liiga play so far, and he's a plus 7.

He's a well rounded prospect, plays a good defensive game. It's not perfect but it's what you like to see from a prospect his age. He's got a weak shot, but his offensive instincts are top notch and his playmaking is strong. He's great at finding passing lanes.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Also the second iteration of the draft thread came soooo much quicker this year. I don't think we finished the first thread last season until like January...

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Personally I think Jeremy Roy has higher upside than Rielly. Obviously nothing against Rielly, I'm happy we have him, I'm a big fan and believe he has very high upside. It's just that I'm very high on Roy.

Rielly is the better skater, especially acceleration, but Roy is still a great skater. Although Morgan has pretty much every tool in a defenseman, Roy vision, passing, decision making and hockey IQ are just off-the-chart. Very solid shot as well, just the perfect PP QB defenseman, who moves his puck well, can skate with the puck out of the zone, plays very good two-way hockey, etc. A really see a future number defenseman and high-end defenseman in this league in Roy, IMO.

Having a Rielly-Roy pairing would be awesome.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Rielly's ceiling is a #1 defenseman who may very well be in the conversation for the Canadian olympic team going forward.

Roy's not even in a lot of people's top 10 lists(at the moment anyway). I think if this kind of ceiling was apparent, His overall rating/hype even would be higher.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, I don't think Roy has the same potential as Rielly, let alone higher.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Rielly's ceiling is a #1 defenseman who may very well be in the conversation for the Canadian olympic team going forward.

Roy's not even in a lot of people's top 10 lists(at the moment anyway). I think if this kind of ceiling was apparent, His overall rating/hype even would be higher.

Yeah, I don't think Roy has the same potential as Rielly, let alone higher.

Roy should definitely be in the top 10, woudn't even surprise me a bit if he goes top 5-6 on draft day. He's a top 3-4 picks in most of the past few drafts.

You can obviously have your opinion, but I've seen a lot of Roy and I'm confident on what I'm saying.

Ace88*

It would be a long road, but if Karlsson and subban are considered #1s then yeah i guess Roy does have that potential. It's his killer instinct that Rielly lacks like i said. Roy makes things happen whether everyone else on the ice likes it or not, lol. Haven't seen that from Rielly yet, he is way too apprehensive. When Roy's on the ice, man he WANTS it. Rielly does not appear to have that intensity. Yeah yeah i know he's only 20 or 21 or whatever and he's got plenty of time but if he isn't starting to control the game by the end of his 3rd season i dont think it'll happen.

TheThrill81*

It would be a long road, but if Karlsson and subban are considered #1s then yeah i guess Roy does have that potential. It's his killer instinct that Rielly lacks like i said. Roy makes things happen whether everyone else on the ice likes it or not, lol. Haven't seen that from Rielly yet, he is way too apprehensive. When Roy's on the ice, man he WANTS it. Rielly does not appear to have that intensity. Yeah yeah i know he's only 20 or 21 or whatever and he's got plenty of time but if he isn't starting to control the game by the end of his 3rd season i dont think it'll happen.

How many defencemen do you know that were consistently controlling games by 21?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Haydon McCool traded to Windsor for Josh Ho-Sang.

Can't wait to go watch an IceDogs game live next.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

I think its partially cause our team is so bad defensively that he's so cautious to make mistakes. Specially when he's getting sat for no reason :help:

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

Although Roy is great offensively, he also has a very solid two-way game, he'll be a force defensively as well.

Haydon McCool traded to Windsor for Josh Ho-Sang.

Can't wait to go watch an IceDogs game live next.

Happy about that, can gives a huge boost and support to Verhaeghe.

Ace88*

I think its partially cause our team is so bad defensively that he's so cautious to make mistakes. Specially when he's getting sat for no reason :help:

I agree. Hes already a perfectly capable NHL player but hes just so...apprehensive. you just know hes got more to offer, but he looks timid at times.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I agree. Hes already a perfectly capable NHL player but hes just so...apprehensive. you just know hes got more to offer, but he looks timid at times.

Again, that's not feeling comfortable with the team. Pretty obvious statement, but he's the kind of guy that as the team gets better, he gets better. Think Duncan Keith. He didn't get as good as he is until the Blackhawks got good. He's apart of that, but I think Rielly will be. (and no I'm not saying he's Duncan Keith.)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Personally, I don't care if we get a top pairing RHD or a number 1 C, as long as they can be like Rielly and contribute early. I don't think McDavid or Eichel will be in the cards, but someone should be.

William Nylander*

Roope Hintz is an intriguing center from Finland. He's 6 foot 2, 183 pounds, has 9 points in 16 games in Liiga play so far, and he's a plus 7.

He's a well rounded prospect, plays a good defensive game. It's not perfect but it's what you like to see from a prospect his age. He's got a weak shot, but his offensive instincts are top notch and his playmaking is strong. He's great at finding passing lanes.

Yup, he's becoming my favourite Euro prospect in the draft, big fan. Finnish fans say that latest sources have him at 6'4 now, and he might not be done growing yet. Would give us a big body C and a great pickup in the mid-late 1st round if we make the playoffs. Was Finland's best player at the 4 nations tourney imo, and I expect him to be their best in WJC too.

Last edited by a moderator:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
People who say anyone is better than rielly that's still playing in juniors clearly never watched rielly in juniors...... He looked like he was playing against pewee hockey players

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
People who say anyone is better than rielly that's still playing in juniors clearly never watched rielly in juniors...... He looked like he was playing against pewee hockey players

Don't think anybody said that someone in junior is better than Rielly right now. We were talking about upside.

Ace88*

You cant really compare them unless you want to compare Roy's post draft year to Rielly's post draft year, which obviously isnt possible yet.

But i wont be surprised if Roy rips the Q a new one next year...although he looks more nhl ready than we might think. Players with high hockey sense adapt faster and better. Im not saying he makes the jump next year...but i dont think i would be surprised.

Though i do think he should stay in the Q regardless how he does in camp/preseason.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
You cant really compare them unless you want to compare Roy's post draft year to Rielly's post draft year, which obviously isnt possible yet.

But i wont be surprised if Roy rips the Q a new one next year...although he looks more nhl ready than we might think. Players with high hockey sense adapt faster and better. Im not saying he makes the jump next year...but i dont think i would be surprised.

Though i do think he should stay in the Q regardless how he does in camp/preseason.

I don't really even think you could compare them then. Rielly lost over two thirds of his 2nd development season, so comparing Roy's third season to Rielly's doesn't really take into account Rielly's injury. Plus Sherbrooke is looking like a much stronger team than Moose Jaw in Rielly 2nd and 3rd season.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Wish this team would do a legit retool this season. We have two goalies battling for the starting job and a coach who's worried he might get fired which is preventing this team from doing a legit retool like COL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad