Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Watched a video where they were talking about "NieR: Automata" and it looked super cool so I checked to see if it was on Xbox. Of course it isn't. That's the biggest drawback to the Xbox IMHO. The exclusives just aren't there the same way they are for the PlayStation.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What is this game pass?

Netflix for Xbox games. MS just announced that in addition to the regular titles on Game Pass, all new first party games will be going immediately to Game Pass. So Halo 6, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves etc on launch day will be available for $10/month

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Netflix for Xbox games. MS just announced that in addition to the regular titles on Game Pass, all new first party games will be going immediately to Game Pass. So Halo 6, Gears of War, Sea of Thieves etc on launch day will be available for $10/month
Wow that sounds freakin' awesome, how much per month? If those quality of games are heading there, I can't see it being cheap...

Would you also need Xbox live to go along with this? That's where Microsoft will get you.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Wow that sounds freakin' awesome, how much per month? If those quality of games are heading there, I can't see it being cheap...

Would you also need Xbox live to go along with this? That's where Microsoft will get you.

I think for multiplayer. But still if you do just buy a month still you save money

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You need Xbox live for pretty much anything?. I guess you could just play campaigns or coop portions of the games. Keep in mind the games in there are all at least 1 year old. Also it's Halo 5, not 6.

EA Access is a better deal IMO for what you get.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It does, looking at the actual game catalogue it isn't really close. I just don't want to give EA any more of my $$$

Yeah EA... not a fan but it's only $30 a year. You get 10% off any actual games you purchase plus 10 hour free trials of new ones and free access to what's in the vault. The 10 hour trial actually saved me from spending money on Battlefront II lol. It's a pretty good deal overall even if you just do a couple months at $5.00.

The game pass thing, if you just got an Xbox and don't have to get the latest and greatest it's not a bad deal. Just doesn't work for me as I usually buy what I want pretty close to release. Also Fortnite is a great value at Free right now.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah EA... not a fan but it's only $30 a year. You get 10% off any actual games you purchase plus 10 hour free trials of new ones and free access to what's in the vault. The 10 hour trial actually saved me from spending money on Battlefront II lol. It's a pretty good deal overall even if you just do a couple months at $5.00.

The game pass thing, if you just got an Xbox and don't have to get the latest and greatest it's not a bad deal. Just doesn't work for me as I usually buy what I want pretty close to release. Also Fortnite is a great value at Free right now.
Don't forget that 10hr trial starts 5 days before the games release too.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The reason I think Game Pass may end up the better deal in the long run is the inclusion of their big exclusive titles on day one. EA usually takes about a year to get the big titles on Access (not that I blame them for that, mind you). Even if you are able to subscribe for one or two months at a time to play the new releases, that's a thumbs up in my mind.

Nothing against the deal being presented by EA, mind you. I've made use of it in the past and probably will again. I think it might be one of their few redeeming qualities right now.

This is the kind of thing I was hoping for when the big gaming companies started talking about "games as a service". Instead, that became associated with lootbox-infested madness and a bad taste in our mouths.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Are they including like newer games with Game Pass? Last time I looked at the line up everything was a year old at least. If they include newer stuff then that's a big deal.

Played some Gears 4 multiplayer for the 1st time in a couple months and god damn it's such a gorgeous game at 4K, 60 FPS with HDR. Plays and looks so well especially coming from PubG. I really want to see what they can do with the next round of these games now that the X is out.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Are they including like newer games with Game Pass? Last time I looked at the line up everything was a year old at least. If they include newer stuff then that's a big deal.

Played some Gears 4 multiplayer for the 1st time in a couple months and god damn it's such a gorgeous game at 4K, 60 FPS with HDR. Plays and looks so well especially coming from PubG. I really want to see what they can do with the next round of these games now that the X is out.
Like its been mentioned a lot lately... NEW exclusive games will be available day 1 (release day) if you have gamepass at no extra charge.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I see Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 available upon launch for Gamepass in 18'. None of these I care about, the current line up is all at least 1 year old games and 360 games. Last years sport titles. I mean if you don't have a current library it's not a bad deal but none of games on this list appeal to me or I own them already. I can't even get to the games I own, barely touched Forza yet.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I see Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 available upon launch for Gamepass in 18'. None of these I care about, the current line up is all at least 1 year old games and 360 games. Last years sport titles. I mean if you don't have a current library it's not a bad deal but none of games on this list appeal to me or I own them already. I can't even get to the games I own, barely touched Forza yet.
Thats just it. Its great for people who dont buy games all the time or have missed out on some really good games and want the new exclusives. It wont be for everyone. Also that sucks you havent touched Forza yet... which one? They are fantastic racing games.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Barring some special deal, I don't expect that any new titles that aren't Xbox exclusive/first party will be available day one. As far as I know, the listed games are the only big name exclusives with release dates.

If it's anything like EA Access, they will continue to add to the library. It'll take time, but if you miss the games or have too many to buy it at the time it's new, it may become useful in the future.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What? Sea of Thieves might become the greatest game of all time.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Well, theres heavy speculation Halo 6 will be announced at E3 this year with a fall launch, it will be available on Game Pass.

Its EVERY 1st party Microsoft game.

I'll be signing up for Game Pass when that happens, if only for a month or two.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Well, theres heavy speculation Halo 6 will be announced at E3 this year with a fall launch, it will be available on Game Pass.

Its EVERY 1st party Microsoft game.

I'll be signing up for Game Pass when that happens, if only for a month or two.

Well if they include Halo 6 with it that's different, the math checks out if you were going to buy it but I have to think that might kill their sales a bit. I don't know I guess you lose access if you don't keep Gamepass sooooo they figure people might never cancel it then. Still, right now it does not appeal to me and the latest Forza is also not on there. All the other 1st party MS stuff on there is old.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I’ve wanted to play halo 5 multiplayer but I never will. So I’ll probably use it for 6

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Or the worst. Probably be somewhere in the middle

No Man's Sea?

Well if they include Halo 6 with it that's different, the math checks out if you were going to buy it but I have to think that might kill their sales a bit. I don't know I guess you lose access if you don't keep Gamepass sooooo they figure people might never cancel it then. Still, right now it does not appeal to me and the latest Forza is also not on there. All the other 1st party MS stuff on there is old.

I think the general idea is to get more people on the platform and thus more people spending money on the microtransactions and the like.

Also, while some people might balk at a $60/$80 price tag on something they aren't sure they want, they'd jump right in for $10/month. I'm one of those people. :laugh:

For example, I wasn't sure about Sea of Thieves or Crackdown 3 for $80 canadian, but at $10 (US)? I'd give them a go for sure.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It also drives more nails into the resale market coffin.

They can afford to lose a few bucks off the top of full retail if there is less physical copies in circulation.

And its also very well known that subscription based services are popular with companies because people quite frankly forget they have them and dont look at their credit card bills closely enough to care about the small charge. I know peoe who pay every single thing they can (thousands a month) on their CC to rack up reward points and wouldnt be concerned whatsoever about the small $10 charge.

Reactions: Commander Clueless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad