NCAA: Michigan spying scandal / Harbaugh accepts remaining suspension

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I’ve heard through the grapevine that Partridge isn’t the greatest of people to be around.

Btw, do you know what’s going on with Clinkscale? Believe he deleted his twitter and what not.

Not a big deal, apparently most of his communication is done through IG. But if it’s more, he would be a huge loss, both for his coaching ability and recruiting ability.

I met Partridge at alumni schmooze things in his first tenure here, he is a stereotypical NJ “tough guy” , straight out of Sopranos. Not my cup of tea but some people eat it up.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Not a big deal, apparently most of his communication is done through IG. But if it’s more, he would be a huge loss, both for his coaching ability and recruiting ability.

I met Partridge at alumni schmooze things in his first tenure here, he is a stereotypical NJ “tough guy” , straight out of Sopranos. Not my cup of tea but some people eat it up.

Figured I’d ask since anything that has to do with UM right now around these parts is full of hyperbole.

Ah so we have a Pauly Walnuts wanna be then lol

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
And, the NCAA will be in Ann Arbor this week (a holiday week no-less) continuing it's investigation to obtain any evidence linking Jim Harbaugh to Connor Stallions. They will be interviewing more players as they all prepare for the biggest game of their lives next Saturday. But remember, they don't want to act in anyway to negatively effect the student athletes, that is what they are sure to say in every release, and then they do this.

Why can't the NCAA, which in every previous instance has worked at a pace that makes Corey Perry look like Connor McDavid, just continue these interviews until after the game on Saturday? They could, and they know the magnitude and importance of this game. But instead they work at a pace like this, something they never did for any other investigation, from tattoo gate, to Reggie Bush, to Sandusky, to Bill Self, never anything close to this expedited.

I was pretty turned off by the stupid tshirts and the America's Team bs and the antics of people like Portnoy. I thought it was mostly an overreaction and wrong to be glorifying what very clearly was an illegal operation being run by a member of the program. But, to do this to these players as they prepare for what is basically a CFP play-in game is venomous, especially when you couple it with the in the air, 24 hours before kickoff suspension just 2 weeks ago before, in another huge game vs PSU, another targeted act to inflict as much damage as possible on the student athletes they claim to be concerned with (they could have handed down the suspension on any day that week, and deliberately chose to do it less than 24 hours before kickoff)

They could do what they usually do and say nothing to anyone and move at a pace that results in penalties years down the road.

Or they could have released a statement saying something like, "Our investigation is on-going and we wish to conclude it as quickly as reasonably possible. However we don't wish for this to be a distraction to Michigan's student athletes who we have always said we don't wish to punish, and thus we will resume our investigation following the conclusion of Michigan's season"

Something like that would just make to much sense.

Last edited:

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
And, the NCAA will be in Ann Arbor this week (a holiday week no-less) continuing it's investigation to obtain any evidence linking Jim Harbaugh to Connor Stallions. They will be interviewing more players as they all prepare for the biggest game of their lives next Saturday. But remember, they don't want to act in anyway to negatively effect the student athletes, that is what they are sure to say in every release, and then they do this.

Why can't the NCAA, which in every previous instance has worked at a pace that makes Corey Perry look like Connor McDavid, just continue these interviews until after the game on Saturday? They could, and they know the magnitude and importance of this game. But instead they work at a pace like this, something they never did for any other investigation, from tattoo gate, to Reggie Bush, to Sandusky, to Bill Self, never anything close to this expedited.

I was pretty turned off by the stupid tshirts and the America's Team bs and the antics of people like Portnoy. I thought it was mostly an overreaction and wrong to be glorifying what very clearly was an illegal operation being run by a member of the program. But, to do this to these players as they prepare for what is basically a CFP play-in game is venomous, especially when you couple it with the in the air, 24 hours before kickoff suspension just 2 weeks ago before, in another huge game vs PSU, another targeted act to inflict as much damage as possible on the student athletes they claim to be concerned with (they could have handed down the suspension on any day that week, and deliberately chose to do it less than 24 hours before kickoff)

They could do what they usually do and say nothing to anyone and move at a pace that results in penalties years down the road.

Or they could have released a statement saying something like, "Our investigation is on-going and we wish to conclude it as quickly as reasonably possible. However we don't wish for this to be a distraction to Michigan's student athletes who we have always said we don't wish to punish, and thus we will resume our investigation following the conclusion of Michigan's season"

Something like that would just make to much sense.
It feels like the NCAA is going out of their way to just be a complete distraction. There was zero need to suspend Harbaugh while he’s flying to the game 2 weeks ago. There’s zero need to interview players during the biggest week of the season. Deep down the NCAA would love nothing more than to see Michigan lose and they don’t have to deal with Harbaugh and the team coaching and playing in the playoff. The NCAA is acting like complete dicks

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah so this sort of thing has been going on for years. Look, like I’ll say this again, whether it’s the SEC paying players back in the 2000’s or OSU giving players benefits. Whether it’s Michigan bending Covid recruiting rules… college football has always had violations. Most of the time the NCAA ignores it.. why is everyone so outraged now? OSU literally gave a sign sheet of Michigan’s to Purdue but you don’t hear nearly enough about that.

I personally find the fake outrage from ESPN specifically Paul Finebaum and Matt Barrie to be nauseating.

Paul “I wouldn’t recognize Michigan as national champs!” Ok Paul no one gives a f***

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Paul Finebaum is a clown who's career is circling the drain
this is true. can't stand that clown.

it's also true that mich is a mess off field right now. the sign stealing thing.. it's obvs there are ways to do it legally and they chose to do it outside of that. if there's no advantage, if it's 'all the same,' then why do it? and why would an assistant coach try to delete the evidence?
the fbi investigation? that's a bit concerning.
the covid visitation violations.
etc

i'm skipping the small stuff. imo something flipped at that school when they couldn't stand losing to ohio state*. shame for a lot of their alum, bc the school really is excellent academically. but many can't distinguish from the loudness of sports drama.

*yeah, i know osu broke rules, too. but they also got punished for it. (imo shoulda been more)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's really a win-win for Michigan. They win they can claim the cheating doesn't matter. They lose, they can continue to martyr themselves about the mean ol' NCAA and the "distraction."

Stakes are higher for OSU. Win and they can claim that Michigan can't win without cheating but there will also be folks who say it wasn't Harbaugh (though he's still lost PLENTY of times to OSU) and the team had distractions. Lose and ... well that's worse case scenario for Day and Co.

Sep 19, 2008
1700945727906.png

Sep 19, 2008
ohio state whined about the scandal when they turned michigan in and stole their signals too (but nobody ever talks about that). then michigan beat ohio state fair and square today without "stealing signals" or stallions

just goes to show you this whole investigation was faux outrage from people who wanted to be offended. nobody stole signs today and michigan just outphysicaled a tough ohio state team. with an interim coach.

"but if michigan didn't steal those signs donovan edwards wouldn't have those 5 70 yard TD's that decided the games in 2022 / 2021"

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I've been keeping quiet for a reason and will have some more thoughts later.

But in all my years of watching Michigan/Ohio State, that Michigan win may be the sweetest of them all.

Reactions: John Price and LT
Sep 19, 2008

Can't beat Michigan on the field so have to resort to dredging up ancient shit. Oh by the way the NCAA is looking into reinterpreting the rules they have for scouting after this.

If you bothered to read the non-AI generated SI article you'll see CFB has been full of hazy issues regarding advisors, coaches and staffs.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Can't beat Michigan on the field so have to resort to dredging up ancient shit. Oh by the way the NCAA is looking into reinterpreting the rules they have for scouting after this.

If you bothered to read the non-AI generated SI article you'll see CFB has been full of hazy issues regarding advisors, coaches and staffs.

I love Love how all the Ohio State fan sites and their "journalists" are running with this story from a local Columbus TV station, when they completely ignored the story the largest paper in town (Columbus Dispatch) reported that OSU had completely changed their signs before last seasons game. And we know why, they didn't want to contradict what 95% of their fanbase (and their paying customers) so desperately want to believe, that 2021 and 2022 were a result of sign-stealing. So instead of covering that factual information they buried their heads in the sand, collectively choosing what they want to cover. It's a complete lack of journalistic integrity.

They could talk about the failures of their own players and coaches. People like Marc Givler, 11W etc were all to happy to crap on players like Gary, Peppers, Henne, Hart etc. because they didn't win a game in the rivalry. Now that the shoe is on the other foot they won't discuss why their vaunted "Once in a generation" recruiting class of 2021 with MHJr, JTT, Sawyer, Henderson, Jackson, McCord, Egbuka etc are 0-3. Or they could discuss how they lost one 5-star recruit this week, and are poised to lose another. Na, they just want to try and continue to push the nonsense that they only lost because of sign stealing. It's as disgraceful and sad as "Michigan vs. the World"

And just to add, I've lived this rivalry for over 20 years now. When OSU had wins vacated in 2010 I never remember either of these things happening.

1. Ohio St. fans not claiming 2010 as a win in the rivalry
2. Michigan fans not claiming 2010 as a loss in the rivalry.

Yet, just about every Buckeye I come across is all-in with this angle. From the "journalists" who cover the team, to people on twitter, to people I come across out and about at O'Hare, Costco, NHL games. Or most notably from fans before, during and especially after the game on Saturday.

It's just so sad and pathetic that everyone is programmed to want the NCAA to come and save them from the embarrassment of the last 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Ancient shit? You mean the story from two weeks ago?

Reactions: DaaaaB's
Sep 19, 2008
Ancient shit? You mean the story from two weeks ago?
and how did Michigan do without Stallions? Oh, they won every game without him?

Funny how you "clammed up" after the story died down, and Michigan kept winning even after dismissing Stallions and the defensive coach...

The story was a whole nothing burger, and it turns out it was just dug up by Ryan Day and OSU to try to "hurt" the Michigan program. It only made them stronger!

Also agree with the above comment. Ohio blamed their losses the last 2 years on sign stealing. But when given an even playing field last Saturday, Michigan continued to look the better team. Michigan outrecruited Ohio State and good point that a 5* player recently decommited from Ohio to go to Miami @PanthersPens62...but Michigan just won 2 straight because of sign stealing and cheating. Such lazy logic, but can't be surprised when talking to Ohio fans, logic isn't their "strong" suit...

• Haha
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
and how did Michigan do without Stallions? Oh, they won every game without him?

Funny how you "clammed up" after the story died down, and Michigan kept winning even after dismissing Stallions and the defensive coach...

The story was a whole nothing burger, and it turns out it was just dug up by Ryan Day and OSU to try to "hurt" the Michigan program. It only made them stronger!

Also agree with the above comment. Ohio blamed their losses the last 2 years on sign stealing. But when given an even playing field last Saturday, Michigan continued to look the better team. Michigan outrecruited Ohio State and good point that a 5* player recently decommited from Ohio to go to Miami @PanthersPens62...but Michigan just won 2 straight because of sign stealing and cheating. Such lazy logic, but can't be surprised when talking to Ohio fans, logic isn't their "strong" suit...
I didn't clam up. Michigan got caught cheating and were punished. There wasn't much more to say.

Your ongoing continual meltdown about being caught cheating is amusing.

Sep 19, 2008
I didn't clam up. Michigan got caught cheating and were punished. There wasn't much more to say.

Your ongoing continual meltdown about being caught cheating is amusing.
You clammed up because it was all a nothing burger and the Big Ten ended their investigation. Nothing else is going to happen.

The most scathing indictment of how pointless this whole "scandal" was, was that Michigan won every game without Stallions, including the last game of the season, against the coach who turned them in for "cheating".

Sep 19, 2008
Are you replying to the right person? I have no idea what you're talking about.
Nah, you said you didn't clam up and then literally defended your silence as quote "I had nothing else to say".

Odd.

Anyway the whole ordeal is over. Michigan got retribution, Ohio State got exposed like I said they would, and The NCAA continues to remain a joke.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Nah, you said you didn't clam up and then literally defended your silence as quote "I had nothing else to say".

Odd.

Anyway the whole ordeal is over. Michigan got retribution, Ohio State got exposed like I said they would, and The NCAA continues to remain a joke.
I didn't clam up. The situation was resolved. There was nothing else to say. Just because you've spent two weeks whining like a baby about how unfair this is does not mean each one of your tirades deserves a response.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad