NCAA: Michigan spying scandal / Harbaugh accepts remaining suspension

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

This guy is something else, wow.

-on potential player safety from knowing your opponents plays-

"if you know what play your opponent is running, then you also know where your opponents’ players will be on the field."

He says this in regards to advanced scouting, I know. But aren't both those things true no matter how the signals are obtained? If Michigan has signals from one of Stallions people recording a sideline, and Day has signals given to him by Greg Schiano aren't both teams "going to know what play your opponent is running" and "where your opponent will be on the field" and thus there is an equal risk for player injury no matter how the signals were stolen?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing there are plenty of ambulance chasers who are going to be ready to pounce on a commish of a major conference saying in a legal document that sign stealing is a danger to the players health and the competitive balance of the game, while last week telling UM admins and lawyers that "it's common, everyone does it" and "whataboutism" when it comes to the collusion resulting in sign stealing.

Reactions: John Price

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
F-qe7HPbcAA1J0n.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

This guy is something else, wow.

-on potential player safety from knowing your opponents plays-

"if you know what play your opponent is running, then you also know where your opponents’ players will be on the field."

He says this in regards to advanced scouting, I know. But aren't both those things true no matter how the signals are obtained? If Michigan has signals from one of Stallions people recording a sideline, and Day has signals given to him by Greg Schiano aren't both teams "going to know what play your opponent is running" and "where your opponent will be on the field" and thus there is an equal risk for player injury no matter how the signals were stolen?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing there are plenty of ambulance chasers who are going to be ready to pounce on a commish of a major conference saying in a legal document that sign stealing is a danger to the players health and the competitive balance of the game, while last week telling UM admins and lawyers that "it's common, everyone does it" and "whataboutism" when it comes to the collusion resulting in sign stealing.

Yes, the injury reason is stupid. It was added padding that was not necessary.

The injury thing was also not the first or even main reason why this punishment came down, so focusing on it is pretty silly. Michigan broke the rules. That's why there is punishment.

I guess the wishful thinking about a Michigan-alum judge bailing the school out didn't come true.

Reactions: MM917

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yes, the injury reason is stupid. It was added padding that was not necessary.

The injury thing was also not the first or even main reason why this punishment came down, so focusing on it is pretty silly. Michigan broke the rules. That's why there is punishment.

I guess the wishful thinking about a Michigan-alum judge bailing the school out didn't come true.

I think this was more of a timing thing. The process to get something through that legal system is slow. Big Ten was pretty slimy in waiting until Friday afternoon (with a holiday the next day, no less) to release this.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Totally agree with Dan Orlovsky. Called it a witch hunt. People do understand that Michigan is a pretty damn good football team. They just ran over the best run defence in college… literally steamrolled them 22 plays in a row. By the way love how pissy OSU is by trying to slime their way into the playoff by trying to help Purdue out. While Michigan was trying to steal signs, OSU already had a the sign sheet. The redacted file was tweeted out. Not sure how Michigan is the big bad villain here when it seems like the whole conference is slime

Reactions: John Price and LT

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Totally agree with Dan Orlovsky. Called it a witch hunt. People do understand that Michigan is a pretty damn good football team. They just ran over the best run defence in college… literally steamrolled them 22 plays in a row. By the way love how pissy OSU is by trying to slime their way into the playoff by trying to help Purdue out. While Michigan was trying to steal signs, OSU already had a the sign sheet. The redacted file was tweeted out. Not sure how Michigan is the big bad villain here when it seems like the whole conference is slime
"A witch-hunt is an attempt to find and punish a particular group of people who are being blamed for something, often simply because of their opinions and not because they have actually done anything wrong."

And your evidence of them not actually have done anything wrong is that they are good at football and OSU may have also cheated?

Help me understand how you are getting from A to B

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If you to social media posts on twitter, comment sections on articles on facebook, IG, Athletic etc. it is probably 40% OSU fans commenting, 40% Michigan fans commenting and 20% everyone else. Ohio State fans want Harbaugh to be fired and given a show cause, quite the difference from a couple of years ago where they would have hoped for a lifetime contract.

A guy like Marc Givler or the great dudes at Eleven Warriors have spent more time talking about Michigan's coaching future the last 3 weeks than they have about their own team. It's funny considering Ohio St. probably has a better chance of having a different coach next season than UM does.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad