Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McNiven's on fire, 11-2 over his last 13 starts. Just 3 goals against in the last 5 games. 4-0 and 2 ga since being cut from Team Canada.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
McNiven's on fire, 11-2 over his last 13 starts. Just 3 goals against in the last 5 games. 4-0 and 2 ga since being cut from Team Canada.
Among goalies who have played at least 5 games (he played 27) he is first in GAA and SV% in the O.

A year ago, we had Fucale and... Fucale.

Now Lindgren, Fucale, McNiven gives us a better depth in the goal.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Pretty high praise,for what it's worth it'll be good for his confidence going forward. He's really been on the rise in the last 2 years, especially for an undrafted free agent pick up. We know how to pick em apparently, with Lindgren and McNiven.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Pretty high praise,for what it's worth it'll be good for his confidence going forward. He's really been on the rise in the last 2 years, especially for an undrafted free agent pick up. We know how to pick em apparently, with Lindgren and McNiven.

I would also show patience with Fucale

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
how good is this kid? he's fairly small for a goaltender. never seen him play

I wouldn't call him fairly small but I guess it depends on who you compare him to. Price, then yes. He's 19 though so he's still going to add mass most likely. He's not tall at 6'1 but thick, moreso then say Fucale.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wonder why he wasn't with Team Canada if he's that good.

Because he wasn't on anybody's radar until he started to play like a god. They then had to invite him, yet he wasn't that incredible during the pre camp, hence why they went with the ones they always wanted to go with. For McNiven to be able to change their mind, he had to be incredible. He wasn't. But it's not because you aren't incredible for 2 games that you can't be for the rest of the way. Let just say it was a bad timing on his part.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wouldn't call him fairly small but I guess it depends on who you compare him to. Price, then yes. He's 19 though so he's still going to add mass most likely. He's not tall at 6'1 but thick, moreso then say Fucale.

I always jump when I see that Fucale is 6'2''. Seeing him play sometimes, you think he's 5'10''. McNiven do seem to be much thicker.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder why he wasn't with Team Canada if he's that good.

with the way he's playing it makes you wonder why they didn't pick him, or why he wasn't drafted to begin with. But hopefully it lights a fire and he has a chip on his shoulder to show Team Canada should have picked him. Can't wait to see him turn pro since it cost us nothing to get him and he's killing it in the OHL.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
with the way he's playing it makes you wonder why they didn't pick him, or why he wasn't drafted to begin with. But hopefully it lights a fire and he has a chip on his shoulder to show Team Canada should have picked him. Can't wait to see him turn pro since it cost us nothing to get him and he's killing it in the OHL.

If I recall correctly, McNiven didn't have a great December camp, which is probably why he lost out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McNiven has to be one of the biggest surprises on our farm system. I liked him a good bit last year but this season he has to be one of the best goalies in the entire CHL. After back to back SO's, he lets in 1 against the power house London Knights. He's won his last 5 starts, giving up 4 goals. Since being cut from Team Canada he's 16-1-1. damn that's sick. Going back to Nov 17th, he's 23-3-1. :amazed::popcorn:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
McNiven has to be one of the biggest surprises on our farm system. I liked him a good bit last year but this season he has to be one of the best goalies in the entire CHL. After back to back SO's, he lets in 1 against the power house London Knights. He's won his last 5 starts, giving up 4 goals. Since being cut from Team Canada he's 16-1-1. damn that's sick. Going back to Nov 17th, he's 23-3-1. :amazed::popcorn:

It's doubly ironic when you consider goaltending was an obvious weakness for Team Canada.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
another SO for McNiven. He now leads the OHL in gaa and tied for league lead in SO's with 6.

I was sitting right behind McNiven for two periods last night. I thought he fought the puck on the first couple of shots, but Kitchener let him off the hook with absolutely zero net-front presence.

And man, that Owen Sound D did a marvellous job of being first on the rebounds. As the game went on, he just looked more in control. Very few tests last night though. A fairly easy shutout as I'd say maybe 3 or 4 dangerous shots all game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was sitting right behind McNiven for two periods last night. I thought he fought the puck on the first couple of shots, but Kitchener let him off the hook with absolutely zero net-front presence.

And man, that Owen Sound D did a marvellous job of being first on the rebounds. As the game went on, he just looked more in control. Very few tests last night though. A fairly easy shutout as I'd say maybe 3 or 4 dangerous shots all game.

Thanks for the info as I didn't get to see the game. It was the 11th SO in McNiven's career, as he had 5 before this season. The defense has clearly improved from last season as they lead the OHL in GAA and only 2 teams are close to them, Erie the top team in the OHL and the Spitfires. Should be an interesting playoffs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what a season McNiven is having. Since 12-9-16 he has lost just 2 games in regulation going 23-2-3 over that span. Leads the OHL in gaa and wins, tied for the lead in SO's. Only once this season did he lose back to back games. Going to be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs and the AHL next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad