Post-Game Talk: WCQF [GM3] Canucks defeat Predators | 2-1 (Miller & Boeser) | In DeSmith We Trust

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
can i just say, it’s actually refreshing to see these wild canucks board mood swings again

“boeser is invisible,” 24 hrs later: “our best forward this series”

“you have to admit jtm also hasn’t done anything,” 24 hrs l8r: “keslord”

vive les playoffs babes

(i hope 30 hours from now our wives, mothers, and daughters are all wanting to have EP’s children)
Preds tie it up tomorrow and we'll get back to the hysterics for sure, if the Canucks win we'll be talking about how we match up vs Florida or Carolina in the SCF

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
uh yeah no, people who rioted because we lost are bandwagoning losers who didn't get the dopamine hit they were promised so they took it out on their surroundings.

Sure maybe it demonstrates that we have a critical mass of fans such that the corresponding amount of losers reaches a point where they can cause damage when their expectations go unfulfilled. But I'd never construe the act of vandalizing our own city because of a game's outcome as "caring".

I don’t know about this. That sounds kind of like “beating my wife shows I actually care about her and I’m a real man”
you're never supposed to give up on your team in online discourse with riot jokers. just say "actually no it's fine" and the other side gets insanely mad.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Not that I wasn't nervous the entire game - that was some scary thing to watch. The D made a huge difference like fishing the puck out behind DeSmith when it went through. He literally got just enough of that puck to keep it out of the net. And not that DeSmith wasn't having a great game, though he had some problems with rebound control. Hence a good chunk of the 31 shots. But he adjusted for his high glove problem.
I was forced to watch Panger cheer for the Preds on Espn (as they don't give us a choice for the playoffs) and he pointed out the Canucks were actually giving the Preds the high glove side. Casey was ready everytime. Goalies can scout back at forwards, adjust for their tendencies too.
I'm happy for DeSmith, really, but he looked fairly weak even in the win. I can't find any place that adds up all the rebounds that he gave out but there were literally dozens of big fat ones and his puckhandling remains chaotic. Still he showed some fight which is great. Without the guys in front of him excelling (especially retrieving said rebounds) we get smoked. We also got gifts from the refs (Dak should have been booted for that hit which was pretty dirty IMHO). Next game will almost certainly be different.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hronek has all but disappeared. I'd be very careful signing him to a long term deal. Big Z is built for playoff hockey. He may not be as flashy during the regular season but if this Canucks team has visions of regular playoff visits than I'd be more interesting in allowing Hronek to walk and signing the big man. I'm blown away by how dominant he's been. The Preds have no answer for him.

Hronek has fallen off over the back half, but apparently, he's been injured for a while with a heavily tapped wrist, which is probably impacting his ability to shoot. I'm not in the "must sign" camp on Hronek, depends on the cost, but it should be noted he's probably playing injured.

For some reason everyone keeps referencing a Pettersson injury, which we've been given no indication actually exists, while ripping Hronek who is actually playing with a disclosed injury.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Well..despite two unfortunate over the glass calls..penalties were even.
It makes you wonder if over the glass penalties are not considered in Game Management because they're automatic. They don't count as a marble in the pocket.
There was no makeup call certainly for the 5on3 or the nearly four minutes of consecutive powerplay time.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hronek has fallen off over the back half, but apparently, he's been injured for a while with a heavily tapped wrist, which is probably impacting his ability to shoot. I'm not in the "must sign" camp on Hronek, depends on the cost, but it should be noted he's probably playing injured.
This makes sense.
For some reason everyone keeps referencing a Pettersson injury, which we've been given no indication actually exists, while ripping Hronek who is actually playing with a disclosed injury.
Ripping him..?

I dont think the Hronek criticism is ANYTHING compared to what Petey gets here.

Also. Hronek is playing with a MVP calibre D partner. EP is playing with bottom sixers, and legged russians etc... So the environments they operate are night and day different.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
View attachment 860288

Are you saying you're some kind of homeless person serial killer?
"The legendary coach Eddie Shore insisted that his goalies remain standing. He was so adamant on this point that in practice, he was known to tie one end of a rope to his goalie’s neck and the other end to the crossbar" -Al Strachan
1714239447281.gif

Keenan Thompson (stunt double?) in net.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Disappointed that they got rid of Elton John after wins.
They weren't eliminated from the playoffs. They are in the playoffs.

---

Also wanted to note how bad the ice was too after the big concert the night before (and that it's late April in the South). Concert was mentioned on ESPN. The puck was slow from the start and actually improved. You could see early on the ruts already starting to happen.

That not only favoured the Canucks, especially after taking the lead, it was probably a big contributor to rest of the game.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
See, the other teams' fans who chirp about the riot, I would have so so SO much to say about their cities.
In 1982, we mobbed our players at the airport when they got back home. They could barely get on the bus. Then held a parade even though they lost the finals. New York media was sore because it was the Islanders again and not the Rangers.

Would also like to point out the celebrations on the street after we won game 6 in 1994. I was my granny's downtown street missions church at the time and that's how I knew we won. I remember how everyone was impressed how our fans acted (even that woman chief of police) and the New York media took notice of us. But that's how and why a bunch of criminal gangs organized and took advantage of the mob to turn it into a riot. That's probably not on the film.

I was wondering if the league was going to do anything. In one angle it looked like a headshot even. It's peanuts and not a suspension but I'm surprised they actually did something.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
This series is pretty funny; the Canucks have the second-highest xGF% in the playoffs so far. Only Dallas is better. The Canucks also gave up the 3rd fewest High Danger shot attempts, only behind Dallas (2GP) and Washington. The totals are HDCF 26 and HDCA 19.

Meanwhile, the Canucks are 14th in the playoffs for shots for%.
For this game, Nashville only created 1.46 xG.
(All Stats 5on5)

It goes to show that the Canucks are just a flat-out better team than the Predators. Even with a dud tonight, Nashville still isn't getting many chances or opportunities.
I think they lack scoring depth. Beyond Josi and Forsberg there's not much remarkable about them. Shut them and what do they have? That's the difference with us and them.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm happy for DeSmith, really, but he looked fairly weak even in the win. I can't find any place that adds up all the rebounds that he gave out but there were literally dozens of big fat ones and his puckhandling remains chaotic. Still he showed some fight which is great. Without the guys in front of him excelling (especially retrieving said rebounds) we get smoked. We also got gifts from the refs (Dak should have been booted for that hit which was pretty dirty IMHO). Next game will almost certainly be different.
Disagree. Think the refs got it right. I wasn't even sure it was a penalty, and I sure don't think it was a major. (I have reffed and was certified in both WA and BC.)

As I said in an earlier post, the Canucks deserved game 2 on the play, and the Pred game 3 on the play, It evened out.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Disagree. Think the refs got it right. I wasn't even sure it was a penalty, and I sure don't think it was a major. (I have reffed and was certified in both WA and BC.)

As I said in an earlier post, the Canucks deserved game 2 on the play, and the Pred game 3 on the play, It evened out.
Totally agree. No way it was a major, and I'm not convinced it would have been a minor a few years ago (think of Raymond's broken back here). I understand and agree with the attempt to protect players from head and neck injuries, so a penalty makes sense, but a major was clearly too far.

On another note, I was terrified of the Canucks PK coming into the playoffs, and I do think against just about any other Western team we'd be smoked by now, but they have been seriously impressive against the Preds after allowing a goal on the first PP of the series.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Love the win, but never knew Canucks had to play like it's 2020 Playoffs against Vegas where they were clawing back in the series to push a game 7. Take a lead and turtle up. Would expect this from a wild card team trying to pull off the biggest upset against a top team.

Not very entertaining hockey, but I guess I'll take the win in any form and fashion for now.
When the Avalanche first won this cup this is how they (had to) play with Roy in net. But they had breakout players with Sakic and Forsberg who found opportunities.

This is how most coaches want to play in the playoffs and it's frustrating to the viewer. But this is twice we've played this way in the series and it's been really effective. We clearly got in their heads this game.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
If an Edmonton series is to happen it will almost certainly be a wide open play style.

However if an LA series happens it might look like this one.

Good teams can be versatile in their play style depending on the matchup and circumstances.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
you're never supposed to give up on your team in online discourse with riot jokers. just say "actually no it's fine" and the other side gets insanely mad.
Sometimes you just need to raze your city to open up opportunities for development

Reactions: God

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If an Edmonton series is to happen it will almost certainly be a wide open play style.

However if an LA series happens it might look like this one.

Good teams can be versatile in their play style depending on the matchup and circumstances.
Running and gunning with Edmonton is a recipe for disaster, especially if Demko is still injured.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The way the Canucks defensive game blunted the Preds offense is hilarious. Kept them to very few high danger chances. Both teams had similar amount of expected goals despite the big shot differential. Any perceived Predators dominance was score effects.

The actual unworthy defensive shell win in this series was the Pred's in in game 2.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
true but there was also game management. We were lucky to get that 4x4 even if it was obvious and dumb-ish thing for Nashville to do (not entirely dumb - they were losing and Canucks D were frustrating them and looking to motivate the team - but still dumb as that was their opportunity to get something on the board). We could have got a penalty for sticking up for DeSmith even. You can't not give a penalty shooting the puck over glass. I am reminded when watching it why it must be a penalty and not just an icing: penalty kills. Players would do that all the time and you need consistency on the call (also fan injuries).
TL;DR

But if you take your pants off it may attract my attention.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Running and gunning with Edmonton is a recipe for disaster, especially if Demko is still injured.
Their best bet in Edmonton is just playing their usual defensive/forechecking game and slaughtering their weak D and goalies.

Reactions: ziploc

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I don’t know about this. That sounds kind of like “beating my wife shows I actually care about her and I’m a real man”
You don't think this is a little reductive? We don't even know yet whether she'd been informed of her sins or asked to exist a little more quietly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad