Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
McNiven leads the OHL in GAA... hopefully Team Canada is watching lol. He's quietly become one the top goaltenders in the O. 2.24 GAA and .921 SV% is nothing to scoff at.

Weird question but does anyone know if McNiven is of aboriginal/First Nation descent? He's from Winnipeg which is about a 10% native population and he doesn't look caucasian. Obviously it's unimportant, I just think it'd be cool considering Price is perhaps the #1 role model for aboriginals in Canada ATM. Just remembered Carey's speech after winning the Vezina/Hart/Jennings... I wonder if that potentially inspired him to sign with us

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
McNiven leads the OHL in GAA... hopefully Team Canada is watching lol. He's quietly become one the top goaltenders in the O. 2.24 GAA and .921 SV% is nothing to scoff at.

Weird question but does anyone know if McNiven is of aboriginal/First Nation descent? He's from Winnipeg which is about a 10% native population and he doesn't look caucasian. Obviously it's unimportant, I just think it'd be cool considering Price is perhaps the #1 role model for aboriginals in Canada ATM. Just remembered Carey's speech after winning the Vezina/Hart/Jennings... I wonder if that potentially inspired him to sign with us

Not obvious at all. :)

What did Carey say in his speech?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

He looks Italian to me. His ethniccity always confused me as well lol.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Congrats to Michael McNiven for his invitation to the U20 Training Camp!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Couldn't believe McNiven wasn't drafted then....but wanted him real bad once that draft was over. And was a big fan of his as soon as I saw him. Such a great achievement so far. He will have to be insane to make it, 'cause he starts behind the other 2 guys.....but it's not something he can't do.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Habs have a gem in McNiven, he was absolutely fantastic for Owen Sound tonight and essentially pulled a Carey Price. There's no doubt in my mind he is going to be the goaltending decision a tough one for Canada

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Habs have a gem in McNiven, he was absolutely fantastic for Owen Sound tonight and essentially pulled a Carey Price. There's no doubt in my mind he is going to be the goaltending decision a tough one for Canada

Yeah! He was great, him and Lindgren are some really good prospects to have !

I hope he's the number one goalie for the WJC!

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
He's the hot goalie heading into Canada's WJC camp.

He's beaten USA's presumptive starter Tyler Parsons twice in two weeks now. Were Canada's head honchos watching?...I think so....

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

He's the hot goalie heading into Canada's WJC camp.

He's beaten USA's presumptive starter Tyler Parsons twice in two weeks now. Were Canada's head honchos watching?...I think so....

Hart will be the starter for sure. He had 3 shutouts in a row and has only let in 1 so far tonight (against one of the best WHL teams too)

McNiven making a great case for his spot in the backup role though.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

What is more stunning is that we got both goalies for free through Free Agency. Between them and Condon our amatuer scouting has done a fantastic job spotting diamonds in the rough.

Hart will be the starter for sure. He had 3 shutouts in a row and has only let in 1 so far tonight (against one of the best WHL teams too)

McNiven making a great case for his spot in the backup role though.

It will be interesting to see how both goalies perform in a big time pressure filled situation. Considering Canada's recent WJC goalie struggles I'm not sure what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you read through this thread you'll see how much I have liked him since we signed him. If I'm Fucale I would be very worried as I can't see him being the starter to McNiven next year assuming that Lindgren is our NHL backup. The one thing I wonder about with McNiven is he went from being aggressive to ultra aggressive at times, not sure how they will work next year in the AHL unless we have a much better defense.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
McNiven got a shout out on Coaches Corner tonight, nice clips of him.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Don Cherry was comparing him to Carey Price at a similar age tonight (who Cherry coached in the top prospects game).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Don Cherry was comparing him to Carey Price at a similar age tonight (who Cherry coached in the top prospects game).

Not even close to the same caliber.

McNiven is a great pick-up and it's hard not to believe he would not have been better than Ingram yesterday.

Just awful goaltending on goals 2 and 3.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cherry is nutz, haven't paid attention to him in a few years now.

McNiven with another win, gives up 1 ga. He's 10-2 over his last 12 and it's not like he has some great defense in front of him. He's let in 2 goals in his last 4 starts.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Team Canada and their goalie selection... :facepalm:

Is there a cap on Hab prospects? McNiven should have been there.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not even close to the same caliber.

McNiven is a great pick-up and it's hard not to believe he would not have been better than Ingram yesterday.

Just awful goaltending on goals 2 and 3.

With better competition during the pre-competition, they would have seen that. Too early for Hart. Not good enough for Ingram. I understand though that in their mindset, McNiven had to be perfect and he unfortunately wasn't. But would have done a better job, I have no doubt. Geez, even Booth would. And maybe even Fitzpatrick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Owen Sound is tied for 2nd with the least goals allowed with 94 and about the middle of the pack in goals scored. I haven't watched any games personally and wondering if their goals against is due to a good team D, how good McNiven is or a combo of both? I'm curious to see what people, who have watched games closely have to say about this?

I remember watching Furcale play with the Mooseheads and that team was stacked with a pretty good team D! Furcale seems to excel playing on good teams but has struggled playing with the Ice Caps. But the Ice Caps D is and hasn't been very good!

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Furcale seems to excel playing on good teams but has struggled playing with the Ice Caps. But the Ice Caps D is and hasn't been very good!

He was inconsistent at 20 in the AHL. How many goalies are dominant in the AHL at 20 over a full season? Matt Murray? Who else?

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Owen Sound is tied for 2nd with the least goals allowed with 94 and about the middle of the pack in goals scored. I haven't watched any games personally and wondering if their goals against is due to a good team D, how good McNiven is or a combo of both? I'm curious to see what people, who have watched games closely have to say about this?

I remember watching Furcale play with the Mooseheads and that team was stacked with a pretty good team D! Furcale seems to excel playing on good teams but has struggled playing with the Ice Caps. But the Ice Caps D is and hasn't been very good!

Owen Sound plays a tight, grinding game for sure and they have some savvy vets. But they're not a stacked team by a long shot. McNiven is a big part of the reason they could upset teams in the playoffs. I don't think many teams want to face them for that reason.

For one, they're physical and will grind you and make you earn your ice. Second, once you've earned that ice, you still have to beat McNiven, and when he's on and sharp, there are no rebounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad