Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I remember they had a goalie that was monster tall not too long ago (Missaen or something similar). What happened to him?

Puzzling pick which I believe happened because there was constant chatter about making the nets bigger.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Yep it was Jason Missiaen and he was 6'8. The Habs didn't sign him so he becaome a free agent in 2010 and signed with the Rangers. At this point he is a AHL/ECHL goalie. Here is a news report from 2008 about him and a certain current Hab is in the video as well.

If we could put Tokarski in that body.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Haven't been watching any of his games of late, but his numbers have really taken a hit and so has his playing time. He started off well enough with 8 wins but since then he has only won 3 starts from November on. At one point he had only 1 win in 10 starts. He's still top 5 in minutes played, top 9 in save %, and 10th in gaa. In the games I saw I was impressed but he often didn't get much help in front of him, will be interesting to see how he finishes up the season and what he can do next year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Updated goalie height list:

Carey Price 6'3
Mike Condon 6'2
Ben Scrivens 6'2
Eddie Pasquale 6'2
Hayden Hawkey 6'2
Zach Fucale 6'1
Michael McNiven 6'1

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
didn't see the game last night, McNiven lost in OT but only gave up 2 goals, as his previous 4 games (just over 10 periods) he gave up 16 goals so good to see him have a game where he only gave up 1 in regulation. Got to be tough mentally to be giving up so many goals but in the end hopefully he can build off this and improve.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McNiven with the SO last night, his 3rd of the season. More importantly after a rough patch that saw him go 2-7-4, he's gone 4-0-3. While he's still top 10 in gaa and save %, he's a minute behind 2nd for most minutes played and 3rd in saves, tied for 3rd in SO's.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
McNiven with the SO last night, his 3rd of the season. More importantly after a rough patch that saw him go 2-7-4, he's gone 4-0-3. While he's still top 10 in gaa and save %, he's a minute behind 2nd for most minutes played and 3rd in saves, tied for 3rd in SO's.

Best thing about McNiven is that you SEE his potential when things are going great. You see what he has in him. Of course, consistency is key and will need to be work on. But you see what the kid has.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Best thing about McNiven is that you SEE his potential when things are going great. You see what he has in him. Of course, consistency is key and will need to be work on. But you see what the kid has.

in the games I've seen, I've noticed he doesn't get a lot of help in front of him, but look forward to seeing how much he can progress over the next year and a half. Got to be happy with how it's gone overall since we got him for free.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was flipping back and forth with the Habs and the OS, he looked good as he let in only 1 goal. He's won 3 of his last 5 starts despite not being on the best team. He's still in/around the top 10 in the OHL in gaa and save % while being among the league leaders in minutes and saves so the good news is that he's seeing a lot of rubber and has at least one more year of juniors to continue to work on things.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's good to see that he's bounceback from the terrible stretch he had from December to January-ish.

The one thing I'll say from the games I've seen here and there, he really doesn't get much help out there. But I like what I've seen from him and look forward to seeing how much he can progress the next few years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching McNiven today, the first period was all OS, they really took it to Oshawa. McNiven wasn't tested much, I missed the PP goal he gave up. But he did make a nice series of saves. In the 2nd he just gave up his 2nd goal of the game, he didn't control the rebound and his defensemen couldn't control it so it got passed right into the slot and the Oshawa player scored with a real bomb of a shot.

edit: Well that game turned around quickly. Went from OS dominating the 1st and had a 4-1 lead, but Oshawa woke up in the 2nd and really brought it. After scoring on a blast to make it 4-2, the scored again on an impressive play as the puck was going past the Oshawa player but he stuck out his leg and deflected the puck to his stick and he was all alone right in front of McNiven so he was able to burry it 5 hole. McNiven then made a great save when the puck was lose and he stuck out his leg to keep it from going in. He stayed down on the ice a long time afterwards, but appears to be ok (although we'll see if he's out there when the 3rd starts). On the other hand he seems ok so I wonder if he just took some extra time since the game was all Oshawa, he already made a smart play when his defensemen got pushed into the net hard, he saw the refs called a penalty but got in between his teammate and the Oshawa player so that the call wasn't evened up.

edit 2: Oh well they lost in 3 on 3 OT. First Oshawa got a PP with 2 minutes in the 3rd when OS was up 4-3 but they were able to tie it up off a rebound as the defensemen didn't tie up his man and had a wide open net. Then in OT it was a lot of back and forth but Oshawa put it home as McNiven got a piece of it. Overall a great game to watch in what looked like was going to be a boring blowout turned into a very exciting game. But not good for McNiven who gives up 5 and while he didn't play bad and had he gotten some help on the others he would have won easily, he made some great saves in the 2nd and 3rd.

interview with him on the Habs site,

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=869118

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McNiven's season continues it highs and lows. In the last 3 games he has 2 wins with just 2 ga total (1g in each) but then in between he lets in 5 vs Oshawa (I saw that game and thought he played much better then the stats show) In 14 of his 44 starts he's let in more then 3 goals but still has managed a 2.83 gaa which when you watch the team in front of him that's pretty good imo. Certainly an interesting pickup for an undrafted FA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McNiven has gone 4-1-1, giving up 6 goals in the 4 wins and 9 goals in the 2 losses. He's up to 7th in the OHL in gaa, 10th in save %, tied for 13th in wins, tied for 4th in SO's, 5th in minutes played, and 4th in saves.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
OHL 2015-16 Coaches Poll Winners

http://new.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-announces-2015-16-coaches-poll-winners

Best Shootout Goalie:

Western Conference:
1. Devin Williams, Erie Otters (36)
2. Michael McNiven, Owen Sound Attack (16)
3. Charlie Graham, Sarnia Sting (11)

Best Puck-Handling Goalie:

Western Conference:
1. Brandon Halverson, Soo Greyhounds (28) – finished first in 2013-14 and 2014-15
2. Michael Giugovaz, Guelph Storm (12)
3. Michael McNiven, Owen Sound Attack (11)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Loved him from the first development camp. Couldn't wait to see him benig signed. They did sign him. I'm really happy! Good job by Bergie. :yo:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One of, if not the best goalies in the OHL statistically so far this season. I'm not super familiar with the OHL. Isn't Owen Sound supposed to be a bad team?

I don't follow the CHL that closely, saw a lot of McNiven last year though and OS wasn't very good or at least the defense in front of him wasn't. Haven't gotten a chance to see them yet this year but will soon. Glad to see him doing well, was really impressed with him last year at least.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Does he have any chance of making team Canada for the World Juniors? Not too familiar with who's around for goalie this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does he have any chance of making team Canada for the World Juniors? Not too familiar with who's around for goalie this year.

if he keeps playing this well he might some consideration but since he didn't get an invite to the summer camp he'll really need to play well to get invited to the winter camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille