Mets/Yankees Thread

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What does everyone think of what may be happening with the Mets and this Cano trade

Mets trade for Robinson Cano, Edwin Diaz nearing finish line

Sounds like Mets are giving up the farm, but would be getting rid of some stinky contracts... Diaz is the best closer in the game, Cano will be useless at 40

Mets make that trade, they pretty much are guaranteeing Kelenic becomes a perennial All Star. That's how things work here.

Diaz is elite but its not like the one thing this team is missing is a closer. I'd much rather them take a run at Machado and leave the one prospect they have alone. Its a pipe dream but I'll hold on to it for now.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
A team already devoid of young prospects are gutting their system for a 36 yo PEDer, limited range defensively (really a DH). Diaz was great last year but who knows how he performs in NYC. Seattle was desperate to get rid of Cano, no reason to be giving up on Kelenic.

I didn't really think BVW was gonna be a great GM, but wasn't expecting this right out the gate. Should have just taken on more of Cano's contract and keep the prospect. Wilpons run this team like a small market team and it's infuriating

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Mets make that trade, they pretty much are guaranteeing Kelenic becomes a perennial All Star. That's how things work here.

Diaz is elite but its not like the one thing this team is missing is a closer. I'd much rather them take a run at Machado and leave the one prospect they have alone. Its a pipe dream but I'll hold on to it for now.

Kind of think the deal stinks however if Mets get $60 Million and they get rid of Bruce, they can bring in Harper.

Machado... no thanks, not a winning type of player for his money, not big on Harper as much but he will make the other bats in the lineup more effective

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Kind of think the deal stinks however if Mets get $60 Million and they get rid of Bruce, they can bring in Harper.

Machado... no thanks, not a winning type of player for his money, not big on Harper as much but he will make the other bats in the lineup more effective
If they make the trade and bring in Harper/Machado, I'm ok with that. Somehow, I don't think they do that though. This will be their one big move.

Would be nice to have something in the farm system for the first time in 5+ years though.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I didn’t like it at first but if that is the deal that ends up happening, I’m ok with it. Kelenic is really the only great prospect the Mets give up. Dunn is kind of meh to me and Bautista is nothing. Bruce and Swarzak have negative value.

Cano can still play and should have a couple of more good years in him and for $13 million per year, I can’t complain about that. Diaz is a top closer and is under team control for four more years.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The deal sucks. I already hate this new GM. Cano needs to stay in the AL where he can DH. It is just stupid to give up those 2 prospects for the relief pitcher. There are a ton of good relief pitchers who are free agents. The kid has 1 more year on his rookie contract then he will be making big bucks in arbitration. So the savings on his contract is for 1 year. Cano needs to play first base. So that will block Alonso. This deal is so bad on so many levels.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The deal sucks. I already hate this new GM. Cano needs to stay in the AL where he can DH. It is just stupid to give up those 2 prospects for the relief pitcher. There are a ton of good relief pitchers who are free agents. The kid has 1 more year on his rookie contract then he will be making big bucks in arbitration. So the savings on his contract is for 1 year. Cano needs to play first base. So that will block Alonso. This deal is so bad on so many levels.

I am just more worried about McNeil, he is Justin Turner 2.0, he will win a batting title... if he stays and they get rid of expensive useless guys the deal isn't so bad

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I am just more worried about McNeil, he is Justin Turner 2.0, he will win a batting title... if he stays and they get rid of expensive useless guys the deal isn't so bad

One of the prospects is supposed to be the real deal- Kelenic. You just know if the Mets trade him he will be a star. And I want no part of Cano. He is 36 and can't field any more. His legs are shot. He belongs in the AL where he can DH.

If the Mets want to spend money just sign Harper or Machado and keep all the assets for another deal.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
One of the prospects is supposed to be the real deal- Kelenic. You just know if the Mets trade him he will be a star. And I want no part of Cano. He is 36 and can't field any more. His legs are shot. He belongs in the AL where he can DH.

If the Mets want to spend money just sign Harper or Machado and keep all the assets for another deal.

I am not sold on the deal since we do have McNeil and Alonso already, and we can always sign Kimbrel

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
A team already devoid of young prospects are gutting their system for a 36 yo PEDer, limited range defensively (really a DH). Diaz was great last year but who knows how he performs in NYC. Seattle was desperate to get rid of Cano, no reason to be giving up on Kelenic.

I didn't really think BVW was gonna be a great GM, but wasn't expecting this right out the gate. Should have just taken on more of Cano's contract and keep the prospect. Wilpons run this team like a small market team and it's infuriating
Really showing that hiring a player agent as GM is a huge ethical dilemma right out of the gate. BVW repped Cano and he repped deGrom, and say whatever you want about about the idea of trading for Cano or extending deGrom, it's extremely dicey.

Ok, about the idea: I just don't get it. It's dumb. Seattle wants to get rid of Cano. You can say "well sure we'll do that but we want a really good player to take your problem off your hands" and that's where Diaz comes in. Even then... I don't know. And now they're adding at least two major prospects to the deal? Dumb.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ump was calling strikes way outside. Boone saying his guys are savages in the box means his guys know the strike zone.

The savages term isn't something I ever heard of before in that context. :laugh::huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad