#MelnykBoycott Billboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The one saving grace is that you can't hide NHL dysfunction in Canada the way you can in Arizona IMO.

I don't think the NHL wants a continuous reminder that one of their franchises is subject to an ongoing war between ownership and most fans.

FYP.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Melnyk can only do his worst...
Get rid of star players to save $. He will soon be done that.
Hire and extend a terrible GM .. check
Employ cheap coaching staff .. check

He is playing all his cards ... Be resilient folks .. He's got us at the bottom and we will get better from here despite him. I hope he gets us to the cap floor. He runs out of cash and he will refuse the high ratio credit and be forced to sell from a terrible position.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So the path to removing Melnyk is missed payrolls.

If the rumours are true and the Desmarais group is buying up Eugene's debt to pull the plug when he is vulnerable, then Sens fans have to help the cause by reducing his revenue as much as possible via boycott.

Here is an interesting article on how Desmarais came to control Bauer. Bauer owner Performance Sports to sell assets to Sagard, Fairfax

Eugene can flail around and inflict some damage in the meantime, but he won't be allowed to move the team and we can do our part to rid the Sens of his toxic presence.

Reactions: TheGeneral

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Turns out the Lebreton deal couldn't have come at at worst time it seems...
Actually, it came at the best possible time in terms of riding ourselves of Eugene.

It puts him a money crunch and ensures that the team is going nowhere while his creditors and the fans put the boots to him.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Melnyk can only do his worst...
Get rid of star players to save $. He will soon be done that.
Hire and extend a terrible GM .. check
Employ cheap coaching staff .. check

He is playing all his cards ... Be resilient folks .. He's got us at the bottom and we will get better from here despite him. I hope he gets us to the cap floor. He runs out of cash and he will refuse the high ratio credit and be forced to sell from a terrible position.
Yup.

I hope he gets wrecked in the coming sale.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Really ? 2 NHL players - a recent first round pick, an AHL rookie leading scorer for his team, a 1st rouder in 2019 0r 2019, a 2nd rounder in 2019 and 2 more conditional...for an unsigned Karlsson. What did the Islanders get for Tavares from Toronto? Puhleaze.
LMAO demelo was a UFA on July 1st and no one wanted him

He isn't that good

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Crappy attendance isn't a problem when the team does well. The on ice PRODUCT is something that we have to be convinced to pay for. The team isn't ENTITLED to our money. They have to inspire us to pay. Threatening to move the team doesn't inspire us, it just creates animosity. How about you open your eyes and recognize that the Sens fans are SENS fans, not Melnyk fans. Many of us don't want a single solitary cent going to that squalid ****.

We heard a lot of big talk about how the team would "Spend when the time is right." How about after we went to the conference finals against the eventual cup winners and did better than anyone else against them, going to game 7 double-OT and more than once leading the series? That off season was the time to spend.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're playing devil's advocate, trying to see things from the other side. The problem is that the Senators ORGANISATION offers a service. That service is seeing the team play. When the service isn't good enough to draw customers, you don't blame the customers. "Oh, ****, my spaghetti tastes like an elephant's ass, and thus my Italian restaurant is failing! I better BLAME THE TOWN I LIVE IN for not spending more money in my restaurant to let me afford a better chef!" How do you not see how faulty that 'logic' is? Are you just trolling, or do you actually think that **** smearing **** Melnyk is right in this?

That's NOT how it works. FIRST you spend money, THEN you make money. If Melnyk wanted our money, first he had to invest in the team. Instead, he's LESSENED the amount of money he's putting into the team, not growing it.

You want more people going to your business? Offer more/better service. You don't ***** and ****ing moan when you cut the funding and then as a consequence people stop showing up. What a ****ing victim complex all the Melnyk supporters have for him. "WAH, WAH! Daddy Eugene isn't a billionaire anymore, and the fans wont give him money in the HOPES of seeing the team improve! WAH!"

So yeah, I agree that you need paying fans AND deep pockets from the owners. The problem is that you seem to think they come at the same time. THEY DON'T. FIRST the owner(s) have to invest in their business, THEN the customers buy the service. You don't pay for dinner BEFORE you read the menu. If Melnyk isn't going to pay the best defenseman in the world, why should any of us pay him a god damn ****ing penny? Answer: we shouldn't. He can go **** himself straight back to Barbados, and do us all the favour of losing his way to the airport once he arrives. He failed in pharmaceuticals and passed that failure onto the Senators, which is burying this team.

Ottawa is a perfectly viable market, but because so much of the city is Leafs fans and Habs fans, you have to get results to sell out games that aren't against those teams. If you sustain a winning culture long enough, you will grow the fan base naturally, and then you wont have enough tickets to go around. But blaming the current state of the team on the fans is asinine, and I'm being generous. Its not OUR responsibility to ice a competitive team, its Melnyk's and Dorion's. Its not OUR responsibility to sign the players who are the driving forces on the team, its Melnyk's and Dorion's. Its not OUR responsibility to motivate people to buy tickets. Its Melnyk's and Dorion's. They failed, and failed, and failed. Failure doesn't pay the bills.

Alllllll of that to basically agree with me. Both have to step it up. You want to nitpick on the order? Team showed up right to the Conference Finals...where were the fans? They had 20, 500 that December for Alfie, but 16, 700 and change for a 2nd round game.

You know that playoff time is when tickets are sold for the following season, right? But there was no demand for people to buy in. So no STH were sold because usually a full arena makes people try and get into the playoff hype. But there was none. So after a stirring run, tarps show up because renewals, somehow , went down.

So a decent start to the season, they trade for Duchene , spending when the time is right, and nothing changed. Team tanks and here we are. Now, without our captain.

So yeah, hockey is not a product like your spaghetti analogy. You are not spending thousands and spending hours on spaghetti. It is something that people are supposed to be passionate about. But it requires a relationship between the team and fans in order to not only survive, which is what we are unfortunately seeing, but THRIVE.

Reactions: Variable26

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
They can’t make him divest of something he owns because he’s a cheap micromanager.

Here is the Member Constitution:

NHL Constitution

Membership can be involuntarily terminated by 3/4 vote upon breach of the constitution, or a bunch of clauses around gambling on gAmes, fixing games, not paying players, not showing up to games when required to, etc.

They can’t take the sens from him for being a cheap bastard.

“Melnyk out” is idiotic and could just make a volatile and unpredictable owner leave town, which given his stubbornness and pride he’d surely do (with the requisite approvals) before selling.

Don’t back a crazy drunk into a corner. He’ll piss in your eyes before he passes out.

His stubbornness and pride may be his ultimate downfall

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
The Sens are not going anywhere, no matter how much McPauper huffs and puffs. Want to know why? Well, there are 600 million reasons why and they all have George Washington's face on them. Thats the price to put an NHL franchise in a city with a regulation rink in place...and that money goes straight to the league and the other owners. Think they are going to pass up that largess to satisfy one idiots's egomania? Think again. Even if they could be convinced, where is he going to go?
Seattle? Nope, they will have their team just as soon as the next owner meeting
Quebec City? Nope, you think the people who built the new rink are going to let some nobody waltz in and take their spot? Not happening.
Houston, Kansas City? Nope, the people who control those rinks have already tested the market and seen it soft. Plus, see above, if there is going to be a team there, THEY will own it.

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
And for all those people who point at the low attendance for the playoff series two years ago? Well, you may not have heard about this little issue called Phoenix...where half of the civil servants of the city were not being paid, at all. They were taking out bank loans and maxing their credit cards, just to meet groceries, mortgage and household expenses. Hockey tickets were last on the list.

Reactions: TheGeneral

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So the path to removing Melnyk is missed payrolls.

If the rumours are true and the Desmarais group is buying up Eugene's debt to pull the plug when he is vulnerable, then Sens fans have to help the cause by reducing his revenue as much as possible via boycott.

Here is an interesting article on how Desmarais came to control Bauer. Bauer owner Performance Sports to sell assets to Sagard, Fairfax

Eugene can flail around and inflict some damage in the meantime, but he won't be allowed to move the team and we can do our part to rid the Sens of his toxic presence.

He isn't buying up Melnyk's debt. The bank has the papers. If he doesn't stop the bleeding, and partners are not brought in, then he will be propped up by the NHL as Arizona is and has been.
Arizona probably has 4K season tickets...they are still here. So, whether what I hear happens, or whether the cash influx was to get the team to the finish line, Lebreton, only time will tell.

Billionaire types are always exceedingly well prepared. I don't know what is going to happen other than what I hear from people in the business of banking and real estate.

But he couldn't possibly end up in bankruptcy unless the bank forced his hand. That would seem unusual to me. The only wildcard is Desmarais has a hand in Desjardins, could he orchestrate something behind the scenes that could be perceived as underhanded or borderline criminal? It is a crazy boardroom scene right now, I'm sure.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He isn't buying up Melnyk's debt. The bank has the papers. If he doesn't stop the bleeding, and partners are not brought in, then he will be propped up by the NHL as Arizona is and has been.
Arizona probably has 4K season tickets...they are still here. So, whether what I hear happens, or whether the cash influx was to get the team to the finish line, Lebreton, only time will tell.

I don't know what is going to happen other than what I hear from people in the business of banking and real estate.

But he couldn't possibly end up in bankruptcy unless the bank forced his hand. That would seem unusual to me. The only wildcard is Desmarais has a hand in Desjardins, could he orchestrate something behind the scenes that could be perceived as underhanded or borderline criminal? It is a crazy boardroom scene right now, I'm sure.
For clarification, how could the banks calling in a loan that is due be considered underhanded or borderline criminal?

Is it not fully within their rights to do so?

Billionaire types are always exceedingly well prepared.
1. Is Melnyk still a billionare?
3. Ottawa owner talks moving Senators: ‘If it becomes a disaster, yes’ - Sportsnet.ca
etc...

If you are betting on which Billionaires in this situation are better prepared, who do you think the smart money would wager on?

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
People around here think the NHL will save them from Melnyk, relocation, etc... that isn't true.

The banks will own the Senators and will look to get what they are owed from whomever comes forward.
Except the banks don't own their debt, Laliberte and the Desmarais group do, they also happen to be the same ones who tried to buy the team during the lebreton bid. Coincidence? Doubt it, I don't think either of those guys make a habit of buying debt from floundering professional sports teams, there is a motive and it's both owning the team as well as developing Lebreton. Both of those things our current ownership doesn't have the money to do, those guys do however.

Wait for Euge to default, take control and lobby the NHL to allow them as owners, Desmarais is also friends with Bettman. More than a coincidence given he also owns a bunch of sporting equipment companies.

Reactions: topshelf15

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I just did some quick estimating and the payment on our team debt is likely 15-20m per year. Any of the defenders feel that not having this liability would put this team strongly in the black even being a cap team? Operating income last reported was 10m, add at the low side 15m less in debt payments and that's 25m more for salaries. As a cap team we'd still be well above break even before even accounting for the concerts, sensplexes, concessions, parking, etc

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I just did some quick estimating and the payment on our team debt is likely 15-20m per year. Any of the defenders feel that not having this liability would put this team strongly in the black even being a cap team? Operating income last reported was 10m, add at the low side 15m less in debt payments and that's 25m more for salaries. As a cap team we'd still be well above break even before even accounting for the concerts, sensplexes, concessions, parking, etc
Don't you know Sens fans are responsible to make sure the Sens make money on paper no matter what business decisions Melnyk makes!

You must be one of those terrible anti-fans!

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad