#MelnykBoycott Billboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
With the upmost respect to you, the sunbelt teams never had a revolt from the fans as in Ottawa. The Ottawa hockey market has become well known that they have crappy attendence with a contending team and the fans still will not come out because the owner apparently is cheap. SO, any perspective buyers know this, especially the family that I know that still has not given up on this team and is continually negotiating and continually changing their approach to this investment. The perspective family is concerned that even with a change in the ownership/partnership it still may not be enough for the fans to accept that there is a total connection or parallel to the amount of revenue the team can generate with seat sales and how much they can pay the players.
Utmost...

Reactions: insomniac

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
With the upmost respect to you, the sunbelt teams never had a revolt from the fans as in Ottawa. The Ottawa hockey market has become well known that they have crappy attendence with a contending team and the fans still will not come out because the owner apparently is cheap. SO, any perspective buyers know this, especially the family that I know that still has not given up on this team and is continually negotiating and continually changing their approach to this investment. The perspective family is concerned that even with a change in the ownership/partnership it still may not be enough for the fans to accept that there is a total connection or parallel to the amount of revenue the team can generate with seat sales and how much they can pay the players.
I would argue that Melnyk's Trump like personality and Dorion's inability to do his job properly is more of the problem than how much we spend. If we spend 65-70 million properly im sure most fans could live with it, but half off that is blown on dead weight and players fans dont want prioritized over our good ones.

The fact that Melnyk's smug face telling fans what they should think was the first thing we saw of their "rebuilding" announcement, shows just how bad they are at making decisions. That was the absolute last thing they should have done yet it was the first.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The Senators wouldn't be moved. The potential market in Ottawa is greater than anywhere in Quebec because Montreal already has a team. But maybe if the team bleeds enough money, the hammer would finally fall on Melnyk and the NHL brass would buy him out.

Moved, cap floor farm team forever...who f***ing cares? Might as well move it.

We can have crappy attendance AND still be in the NHL. So what? Who wants a team like that forever? The only way that changed is deep pockets AND paying fans like the rest of the country. Not just one. Both.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Moved, cap floor farm team forever...who ****ing cares? Might as well move it.

We can have crappy attendance AND still be in the NHL. So what? Who wants a team like that forever? The only way that changed is deep pockets AND paying fans like the rest of the country. Not just one. Both.
The Sens have middle of the pack revenue.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Don't be like that. It doesn't make you look smart if a spellcheck does that.

A spellcheck is not required to know what proper words to use. Using "upmost" is not a typo... it's a common mistake that is used when certain people try to sound smart.

Thanks for checking in.

Reactions: insomniac

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018

So you want to sit in and forcing fans for crappy products year after year?? Wow, sound like team president material.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

Crappy attendance isn't a problem when the team does well. The on ice PRODUCT is something that we have to be convinced to pay for. The team isn't ENTITLED to our money. They have to inspire us to pay. Threatening to move the team doesn't inspire us, it just creates animosity. How about you open your eyes and recognize that the Sens fans are SENS fans, not Melnyk fans. Many of us don't want a single solitary cent going to that squalid f***.

We heard a lot of big talk about how the team would "Spend when the time is right." How about after we went to the conference finals against the eventual cup winners and did better than anyone else against them, going to game 7 double-OT and more than once leading the series? That off season was the time to spend.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're playing devil's advocate, trying to see things from the other side. The problem is that the Senators ORGANISATION offers a service. That service is seeing the team play. When the service isn't good enough to draw customers, you don't blame the customers. "Oh, f***, my spaghetti tastes like an elephant's ass, and thus my Italian restaurant is failing! I better BLAME THE TOWN I LIVE IN for not spending more money in my restaurant to let me afford a better chef!" How do you not see how faulty that 'logic' is? Are you just trolling, or do you actually think that shit smearing :eek::eek::eek::eek: Melnyk is right in this?

That's NOT how it works. FIRST you spend money, THEN you make money. If Melnyk wanted our money, first he had to invest in the team. Instead, he's LESSENED the amount of money he's putting into the team, not growing it.

You want more people going to your business? Offer more/better service. You don't bitch and f***ing moan when you cut the funding and then as a consequence people stop showing up. What a f***ing victim complex all the Melnyk supporters have for him. "WAH, WAH! Daddy Eugene isn't a billionaire anymore, and the fans wont give him money in the HOPES of seeing the team improve! WAH!"

So yeah, I agree that you need paying fans AND deep pockets from the owners. The problem is that you seem to think they come at the same time. THEY DON'T. FIRST the owner(s) have to invest in their business, THEN the customers buy the service. You don't pay for dinner BEFORE you read the menu. If Melnyk isn't going to pay the best defenseman in the world, why should any of us pay him a god damn f***ing penny? Answer: we shouldn't. He can go f*** himself straight back to Barbados, and do us all the favour of losing his way to the airport once he arrives. He failed in pharmaceuticals and passed that failure onto the Senators, which is burying this team.

Ottawa is a perfectly viable market, but because so much of the city is Leafs fans and Habs fans, you have to get results to sell out games that aren't against those teams. If you sustain a winning culture long enough, you will grow the fan base naturally, and then you wont have enough tickets to go around. But blaming the current state of the team on the fans is asinine, and I'm being generous. Its not OUR responsibility to ice a competitive team, its Melnyk's and Dorion's. Its not OUR responsibility to sign the players who are the driving forces on the team, its Melnyk's and Dorion's. Its not OUR responsibility to motivate people to buy tickets. Its Melnyk's and Dorion's. They failed, and failed, and failed. Failure doesn't pay the bills.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Crappy attendance isn't a problem when the team does well. The on ice PRODUCT is something that we have to be convinced to pay for. The team isn't ENTITLED to our money. They have to inspire us to pay. Threatening to move the team doesn't inspire us, it just creates animosity. How about you open your eyes and recognize that the Sens fans are SENS fans, not Melnyk fans. Many of us don't want a single solitary cent going to that squalid ****.

We heard a lot of big talk about how the team would "Spend when the time is right." How about after we went to the conference finals against the eventual cup winners and did better than anyone else against them, going to game 7 double-OT and more than once leading the series? That off season was the time to spend.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're playing devil's advocate, trying to see things from the other side. The problem is that the Senators ORGANISATION offers a service. That service is seeing the team play. When the service isn't good enough to draw customers, you don't blame the customers. "Oh, ****, my spaghetti tastes like an elephant's ass, and thus my Italian restaurant is failing! I better BLAME THE TOWN I LIVE IN for not spending more money in my restaurant to let me afford a better chef!" How do you not see how faulty that 'logic' is? Are you just trolling, or do you actually think that **** smearing **** Melnyk is right in this?

That's NOT how it works. FIRST you spend money, THEN you make money. If Melnyk wanted our money, first he had to invest in the team. Instead, he's LESSENED the amount of money he's putting into the team, not growing it.

You want more people going to your business? Offer more/better service. You don't ***** and ****ing moan when you cut the funding and then as a consequence people stop showing up. What a ****ing victim complex all the Melnyk supporters have for him. "WAH, WAH! Daddy Eugene isn't a billionaire anymore, and the fans wont give him money in the HOPES of seeing the team improve! WAH!"

So yeah, I agree that you need paying fans AND deep pockets from the owners. The problem is that you seem to think they come at the same time. THEY DON'T. FIRST the owner(s) have to invest in their business, THEN the customers buy the service. You don't pay for dinner BEFORE you read the menu. If Melnyk isn't going to pay the best defenseman in the world, why should any of us pay him a god damn ****ing penny? Answer: we shouldn't. He can go **** himself straight back to Barbados, and do us all the favour of losing his way to the airport once he arrives. He failed in pharmaceuticals and passed that failure onto the Senators, which is burying this team.

Ottawa is a perfectly viable market, but because so much of the city is Leafs fans and Habs fans, you have to get results to sell out games that aren't against those teams. If you sustain a winning culture long enough, you will grow the fan base naturally, and then you wont have enough tickets to go around. But blaming the current state of the team on the fans is asinine, and I'm being generous. Its not OUR responsibility to ice a competitive team, its Melnyk's and Dorion's. Its not OUR responsibility to sign the players who are the driving forces on the team, its Melnyk's and Dorion's. Its not OUR responsibility to motivate people to buy tickets. Its Melnyk's and Dorion's. They failed, and failed, and failed. Failure doesn't pay the bills.
Now that is an EPIC rant!!!

Well done good sir, well done!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So you want to sit in and forcing fans for crappy products year after year?? Wow, sound like team president material.
I actually enjoy watching NHL hockey even when our team sucks. And i do believe our inept cash-strapped management is genuinely trying. We went to the ECF like a year and a half ago, ffs.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
For sure. The NHL is going to lose out on a multi-billion dollar deal in the heart of Canada's capital for Eugene Melnyk.

They can’t make him divest of something he owns because he’s a cheap micromanager.

Here is the Member Constitution:

NHL Constitution

Membership can be involuntarily terminated by 3/4 vote upon breach of the constitution, or a bunch of clauses around gambling on gAmes, fixing games, not paying players, not showing up to games when required to, etc.

They can’t take the sens from him for being a cheap bastard.

“Melnyk out” is idiotic and could just make a volatile and unpredictable owner leave town, which given his stubbornness and pride he’d surely do (with the requisite approvals) before selling.

Don’t back a crazy drunk into a corner. He’ll piss in your eyes before he passes out.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's funny how when you actually look up attendance numbers over the years, they prove that this market can very well support a franchise, yet most of the naysayers keep repeating how it's actually the opposite, solely based on a few seasons where in reality, the fanbase obviously started to see through Melnyk's clown act and began to lose trust entirely despite some miracle runs based entirely on a few players carrying the team on their shoulders. Not to mention the fan experience getting less and less attractive to many(this includes traffic, parking, marketing and merch etc.)

But hey, if that's all you got to berate the fanbase with well, you keep doing you thing, ya doinks.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
They can’t make him divest of something he owns because he’s a cheap micromanager.

NHL Constitution

Membership can be involuntarily terminated by 3/4 vote upon breach of the constitution, or a bunch of clauses around gambling on gAmes, fixing games, not paying players, not showing up to games when required to, etc.

“Melnyk out” is idiotic and could just make a volatile and unpredictable owner leave town, which given his stubbornness and pride he’d surely do (with the requisite approvals) before selling.

Don’t back a crazy drunk into a corner. He’ll piss in your eyes before he passes out.
Exactly, the nut jobs on this board think that a boycott and billboards are going to make things change for their own good. Wrong. He just traded away the best player on the team, he will continue to do so as long as he has control to prove a point that no sales means no big money players. He is an egomaniac as most billionaires are. You people here will not win this fight. Period.

Reactions: Variable26

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

NHL Constitution

I mean, technically the constitution states that members will "maintain and operate a hockey team of the highest possible playing caliber", not sure being Sanjose's farm team meets that lofty goal...

In the end though, the other owners will have little interest in forcing one of their own out, though they might strongly encourage him to sell when it starts affecting their bottom line.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Melnyk needs to go without a doubt, but billboards and ad's/whatnot aren't going to do much, in my uneducated opinion.

I didn't agree with the movement then and don't now, but it is what it is.

Hopefully he's unable to make payroll come November/December. Attendance is going to be barren regardless.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Melnyk needs to go without a doubt, but billboards and ad's/whatnot aren't going to do much, in my uneducated opinion.

Hopefully he's unable to make payroll come November/December. Attendance is going to be barren regardless.
I wonder if Club bell is counted in season ticket sales or if it's kept separate. My understanding was when club bell was introduced you had to sign up for a 3 to 7 year commitment though that might have just been for suites and lodges. Those commitments are ending and could hurt the bottom line soon.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

They know attendance will be low during rebuilding phase. It is already accounted for.

They also know the fan base was going to react to the bye bye Karlsson fiasco.

They are not that stupid (But some of the “fans” are)

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
NHL Constitution

The answer is in your post.

If the theory is correct, when the debts are recalled Melnyk won't be able to make payroll.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wonder if Club bell is counted in season ticket sales or if it's kept separate. My understanding was when club bell was introduced you had to sign up for a 3 to 7 year commitment though that might have just been for suites and lodges. Those commitments are ending and could hurt the bottom line soon.
I'm no to sure, I really don't understand or have any info on the ticketing/accounting/business sides of the Ottawa Senators. Outside of the obvious, I'm pretty oblivious compared to most here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The one saving grace is that you can't hide NHL dysfunction in Canada the way you can in Arizona IMO.

I don't think the NHL wants a continuous reminder that one of their franchises is subject to an ongoing war between ownership and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad