#MelnykBoycott Billboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Need to contact the league and ask them to do something. ????

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It is more a question of who may be the new owner. The logical choice is Desmarais who has his hands in Desjardins, but there will be other suitors as well. I am not a bankruptcy expert but they need their obligations satisfied first before the NHL.

Just like Melnyk buying the Sens all those years ago. He beat everyone to the punch, but there was no guarantee, at that time, that the team would not move.

PriceWaterhoussCoopers had the paper back then. They just wanted their money.

I'm sure bettman will hear ownership's side of the story and ,honestly , two cash crunches with the same franchise is not a good look either.

Desmarais is already in with the NHL through Bauer. If Bettman and the rest of the owners have to choose between our current lunatic vs the Desmarais group or other interested parties, we all know where this is headed.

Reevely: Second-place bidder still keen on LeBreton Flats if Sens' bid falters, but patience is waning

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Lots of ifs there. Not sure why anyone would buy a team with such a ****ty fanbase. Hey I know, I'll buy the team where the fans boycott my product if I don't spend into the red or if i say things they dont like. It's a ridiculous gamble. How stupid will you all feel if you accidentally run your favourite team out of the market?
Sighhhhh........

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Lots of ifs there. Not sure why anyone would buy a team with such a ****ty fanbase. Hey I know, I'll buy the team where the fans boycott my product if I don't spend into the red or if i say things they dont like. It's a ridiculous gamble. How stupid will you all feel if you accidentally run your favourite team out of the market?

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I think everyone seems to forget about the Hoffman scandal. Here me out.... The owner has an asset worth six or $7 million in Hoffman then, EK, and family make private on goings public. Now the six or $7 million asset is now worth only one to 1 1/2 million. I have a very good feeling that EM was so pissed about EK causing this to his franchise, that he forced him out on purpose. This is very possible and one of the big reasons to move him along. The owner is an egomaniac who seems he wants to prove to players and fans that he controls the destiny of this franchise either good or bad .

Reactions: Stylizer1

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think everyone seems to forget about the Hoffman scandal. Here me out.... The owner has an asset worth six or $7 million in Hoffman then, EK, and family make private on goings public. Now the six or $7 million asset is now worth only one to 1 1/2 million. I have a very good feeling that EM was so pissed about EK causing this to his franchise, that he forced him out on purpose. This is very possible and one of the big reasons to move him along. The owner is an egomaniac who seems he wants to prove to players and fans that he controls the destiny of this franchise either good or bad .
You better have proof the Karlsson's made the info public. Doubling down on slanderous accusations is not wise.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
You seem confused.

Melnyk currently owns the team. He is NOT the team. Just as he took over from Rod Bryden, he will also be replaced.

Melnyk can and will be forced out.
B-b-b-but all of the "true fans" have been telling me that if I don't go out and buy season tickets right now Melnyk will move the team to Albuquerque, and then the Leafs and Habs will win a million cups, and Gary Bettman will come to my house and tell me how its all my fault.

You're telling me that teams can't just be moved or folded on the whims of their owners? That can't possibly be true!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
EM is a lazy f***,he doesnt want to do a damn thing ...Just have the fans show up and pay him ,when they dont he cuts more....A owner that want to build his brand works his tail off ,to make good of any investment he makes for the team...

How long have we been waiting for new jerseys???A no brainer ,which should have been done many moons ago..We spend to the cap and try to ice the best team possible ,then get out there and sell this and make sure you can make back what you put in ...He wants a budget and cost certainty ,how about the cap plus 10 mil??Now you know what you need to make to cover your cost ,you want to make your cut go f***en earn it

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I guess it would depend on whether a different owner thinks that they could run the franchise in a way that would bring fans back again. There are definitely two parts of the equation here, but it feels very much like a break up between owner and fan base rather than fans just tired of watching a local NHL team.

I haven't liked or agreed with a lot that has been said along the way here this year as you know, but I do feel like we are where we are today because ownership has not done a good job at judging the market, and has rubbed fans the wrong way at a time when people have lot of other options to spend their money, as well as a time when Ottawa is suffering with pay issue to it's biggest sector.

I agree that it's a gamble, and I'm more advocating and supporting whatever people feel they need to do at this point because the EK trade was a soul crusher, and not because he shouldn't have been traded necessarily, but because of the way it all went down, and what the return was. Either way, I think there will still be enough viewership to show that the fan base is still here, but perhaps the numbers will be low enough to make things difficult for EM to continue on his own.

I totally agree that if new owners do step in that the fanbase will eventually have to step up and show that it's an NHL fan base, at that point the onus will shift back to the fans, and then we shall see.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How stupid will you all feel if you accidentally run your favourite team out of the market?

Not as stupid as just continuing to hand my money over to a completely irrational crazy person.

You want to play the whole "be a good fan" card?

I actually have a package for this year.

I don't care that they traded Karlsson. It's how they did it. It's been one gaffe, amateur hour mistake after mistake and I'm sick of it.

I don't want to cheer for a team whose long-term strategy is subject to the whims of a maniac with a massive ego and no hockey sense.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
lol at the narrative that nobody wants to buy a team with low attendance.

How many sunbelt teams with ****ty revenues have been sold and bought over the last 20 years?
With the upmost respect to you, the sunbelt teams never had a revolt from the fans as in Ottawa. The Ottawa hockey market has become well known that they have crappy attendence with a contending team and the fans still will not come out because the owner apparently is cheap. SO, any perspective buyers know this, especially the family that I know that still has not given up on this team and is continually negotiating and continually changing their approach to this investment. The perspective family is concerned that even with a change in the ownership/partnership it still may not be enough for the fans to accept that there is a total connection or parallel to the amount of revenue the team can generate with seat sales and how much they can pay the players.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
The Senators wouldn't be moved. The potential market in Ottawa is greater than anywhere in Quebec because Montreal already has a team. But maybe if the team bleeds enough money, the hammer would finally fall on Melnyk and the NHL brass would buy him out.

Reactions: TheGeneral

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
With the upmost respect to you, the sunbelt teams never had a revolt from the fans as in Ottawa. The Ottawa hockey market has become well known that they have crappy attendence with a contending team and the fans still will not come out because the owner apparently is cheap. SO, any perspective buyers know this, especially the family that I know that still has not given up on this team and is continually negotiating and continually changing their approach to this investment. The perspective family is concerned that even with a change in the ownership/partnership it still may not be enough for the fans to accept that there is a total connection or parallel to the amount of revenue the team can generate with seat sales and how much they can pay the players.
The team that just traded for EK had 2M more in revenue than the Sens and less operating income in the last stats available.

The market isn't the problem. The debt structure/business model chosen by this owner is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad