#MelnykBoycott Billboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Alllllll of that to basically agree with me. Both have to step it up. You want to nitpick on the order? Team showed up right to the Conference Finals...where were the fans? They had 20, 500 that December for Alfie, but 16, 700 and change for a 2nd round game.

You know that playoff time is when tickets are sold for the following season, right? But there was no demand for people to buy in. So no STH were sold because usually a full arena makes people try and get into the playoff hype. But there was none. So after a stirring run, tarps show up because renewals, somehow , went down.

So a decent start to the season, they trade for Duchene , spending when the time is right, and nothing changed. Team tanks and here we are. Now, without our captain.

So yeah, hockey is not a product like your spaghetti analogy. You are not spending thousands and spending hours on spaghetti. It is something that people are supposed to be passionate about. But it requires a relationship between the team and fans in order to not only survive, which is what we are unfortunately seeing, but THRIVE.

Except its not a nitpick. The Leafs were trash for years despite selling out every home game because of the choices made around WHAT they would do with that money. Until you know what will be done with the money, there's zero assurance that giving your money to the team will result in anything. Melnyk has done nothing to prove that he has any interest in turning the Sens into a winner, but he's done plenty to get the money paid out as low as he can get it. If you're so focused on the fact that I used spaghetti for an analogy that you miss the point of the comparison, that's your fault.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Except the banks don't own their debt, Laliberte and the Desmarais group do, they also happen to be the same ones who tried to buy the team during the lebreton bid. Coincidence? Doubt it, I don't think either of those guys make a habit of buying debt from floundering professional sports teams, there is a motive and it's both owning the team as well as developing Lebreton. Both of those things our current ownership doesn't have the money to do, those guys do however.

Wait for Euge to default, take control and lobby the NHL to allow them as owners, Desmarais is also friends with Bettman. More than a coincidence given he also owns a bunch of sporting equipment companies.

Who told you Laliberte and Desmarais own his debt?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just did some quick estimating and the payment on our team debt is likely 15-20m per year. Any of the defenders feel that not having this liability would put this team strongly in the black even being a cap team? Operating income last reported was 10m, add at the low side 15m less in debt payments and that's 25m more for salaries. As a cap team we'd still be well above break even before even accounting for the concerts, sensplexes, concessions, parking, etc

Its not about defending. Try looking at it from all sides.And a full arena similar to the other Canadian markets at our cheapest prices adds how much to Operating Income?

Having debt is not an issue so long as you have the revenues to run your franchise right. Of course, less debt would be preferable, and he and Leeder did admit to losing 94M in a 10 year span (when everyone said things were great, arena was full). So he is putting that debt into each refi. Why not, to an extent as borrowing was insanely cheap, right?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Do you know how ridiculous the casual fan sounds debating the financial position of a huge business like the sens?

Reactions: Variable26

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
The answer is in your post.

If the theory is correct, when the debts are recalled Melnyk won't be able to make payroll.

No, he just refinanced. Maturities were all extended.

People need to come to terms with the fact that the sens are his, not ours, not the league's.

We are stuck with him.

Once we reach the acceptance stage we can try to effect small chamges to make it less unpleasant. A boycott won't appeal to an irrational owner.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Its not about defending. Try looking at it from all sides.And a full arena similar to the other Canadian markets at our cheapest prices adds how much to Operating Income?

Having debt is not an issue so long as you have the revenues to run your franchise right. Of course, less debt would be preferable, and he and Leeder did admit to losing 94M in a 10 year span (when everyone said things were great, arena was full). So he is putting that debt into each refi. Why not, to an extent as borrowing was insanely cheap, right?
Hmmm, 120m in debt, 10m per year in debt payments, 10 years, checks out....since those years as well there has been a massive TV contract as well as expansion fees.

You nailed it, debt is fine if revenue supports it. If you initially put any money in to the team this isn’t an issue (melnyk didn’t, he financed it all). If you’ve waited to the point that you’re no longer financially able to cover the debt it becomes a structural deficit and that’s what we have here.

We know there is over 200m in predatory loans for sure, gotta wonder if he hasn’t maxed out his line of credit with the league as well. That would put debt well over 300m and there are literally a handful of teams in the entire league that can support that.

I will love the day when Euge is forced to sell. It’s going to be forced because there is only so long he can support a massive deficit like he’s created.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No, he just refinanced. Maturities were all extended.

People need to come to terms with the fact that the sens are his, not ours, not the league's.

We are stuck with him.

Once we reach the acceptance stage we can try to effect small chamges to make it less unpleasant. A boycott won't appeal to an irrational owner.

Pretty sure it's the only way to actually appeal to a cheap prick like Melnyk.

Reactions: armani

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's not real... is it? ...will he be sporting a tiny black moustache?
bud280_c.jpg

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hmmm, 120m in debt, 10m per year in debt payments, 10 years, checks out....since those years as well there has been a massive TV contract as well as expansion fees.

You nailed it, debt is fine if revenue supports it. If you initially put any money in to the team this isn’t an issue (melnyk didn’t, he financed it all). If you’ve waited to the point that you’re no longer financially able to cover the debt it becomes a structural deficit and that’s what we have here.

We know there is over 200m in predatory loans for sure, gotta wonder if he hasn’t maxed out his line of credit with the league as well. That would put debt well over 300m and there are literally a handful of teams in the entire league that can support that.

I will love the day when Euge is forced to sell. It’s going to be forced because there is only so long he can support a massive deficit like he’s created.

Who told you Laliberte and Desmarais own his debt?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Fill us in o wise one
Just stop making things up. And I explained it somewhere else how it works. This isn't Melnyk going to visit the godfather Desmarais , shaking and sweating while Laliberte is stroking a cat, asking about debt repayment.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Just stop making things up. And I explained it somewhere else how it works. This isn't Melnyk going to visit the godfather Desmarais , shaking and sweating while Laliberte is stroking a cat, asking about debt repayment.
No kidding, I thought that was exactly how major refinances go, wasted my time on that MBA.

Rather than duck the question, perhaps take a look at this, also notice the one company Sagard who has a history of doing exactly what I am describing. The Desmarais family exerts influence on this entire empire.

Power Corporation of Canada | Organization Chart

So, tell me again, who did you hear bought the debt seeing as you obviously know for sure? Or are we playing the 5 D's of dodgeball again?

I'll throw in as well, I thought you were so very sure that EK wasn't going anywhere?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No kidding, I thought that was exactly how major refinances go, wasted my time on that MBA.

Rather than duck the question, perhaps take a look at this, also notice the one company Sagard who has a history of doing exactly what I am describing. The Desmarais family exerts influence on this entire empire.

Power Corporation of Canada | Organization Chart

So, tell me again, who did you hear bought the debt seeing as you obviously know for sure? Or are we playing the 5 D's of dodgeball again?

I'll throw in as well, I thought you were so very sure that EK wasn't going anywhere?

So you want me tell you what I know yet ridicule me at the same time?

I told the mods about Karlsson and what I knew how I knew. Goodnight pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad