Prospect Info: McCarron Thread Part III - A true scotsman never bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
We have some glaring holes with our lack of depth at C and RW and size.

He fills both IMO.

I don't disagree with you but with a player like him, I'd still like for him to spend some time in the AHL. The gap between the NHL and the CHL is huge. That being said, given his style of play and his showings at our two last training camps, that is not a huge concern for me. I just want to do what's best for him to become the best player he can be. I don't really agree that we have holes down the middle. Even if we trade one of Plekanec, Desharnais or Eller we still have Galchenyuk, DLR and Mitchell (if he re-signs).

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I don't disagree with you but with a player like him, I'd still like for him to spend some time in the AHL. The gap between the NHL and the CHL is huge. That being said, given his style of play and his showings at our two last training camps, that is not a huge concern for me. I just want to do what's best for him to become the best player he can be. I don't really agree that we have holes down the middle. Even if we trade one of Plekanec, Desharnais or Eller we still have Galchenyuk, DLR and Mitchell (if he re-signs).

IMO he could slot in #2 RW and bump Gallagher up to the top line.

His combination of size + speed is to great to send him down to the AHL IMO.

We shall see though.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
I don't necessarily disagree with the principle that he wouldn't be NHL ready next training camp because he is defensively and physically (although he can still gain some strength) and already plays a pro game BUT I don't think it'd be a bad idea to let him prove himself offensively in the AHL. Of course you can always make an argument on which approach is better (Lucic went straight to the NHL as a 19 year old and played on the 4th line in a role people are open to give Big Mac next season) vs say the way the Kings handled Boyle's development (2 years in the AHL with a few cups of coffees in the NHL). IMO the best approach would be the one the Hurricanes had with Ladd (AHL until the new year and try him out in a bottom 6 role).

I would do exactly what they did with Lucic (they have comparable stats in the CHL by the way). Playing 10 minutes on the 4th line against other 4th lines who are still NHLer by the way. And the 4th line is not exactly what it used to be. There's still very good players on today's 4th lines. Then depending on its play, I would bump him on other lines. But in the end, let's wait and see what he does during camp. If he's good, he should play in the NHL this year. It's not as if we had a jam of talented players at RW or at C on the 4th line.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
I would do exactly what they did with Lucic (they have comparable stats in the CHL by the way). Playing 10 minutes on the 4th line against other 4th lines who are still NHLer by the way. And the 4th line is not exactly what it used to be. There's still very good players on today's 4th lines. Then depending on its play, I would bump him on other lines. But in the end, let's wait and see what he does during camp. If he's good, he should play in the NHL this year. It's not as if we had a jam of talented players at RW or at C on the 4th line.

Exactly how I feel. If he does well in camp give him a couple games at the start of the year on lower lines. Lucic played well in the memorial cup & went straight to the B's, no AHL.

I'd also throw him on a power play line to set up screens. Just watching playoff hockey/ memorial cup shows how important screens in front of goalies are now. We could have used him against the Bolts to screen Bishop this season.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
I don't necessarily disagree with the principle that he wouldn't be NHL ready next training camp because he is defensively and physically (although he can still gain some strength) and already plays a pro game BUT I don't think it'd be a bad idea to let him prove himself offensively in the AHL. Of course you can always make an argument on which approach is better (Lucic went straight to the NHL as a 19 year old and played on the 4th line in a role people are open to give Big Mac next season) vs say the way the Kings handled Boyle's development (2 years in the AHL with a few cups of coffees in the NHL). IMO the best approach would be the one the Hurricanes had with Ladd (AHL until the new year and try him out in a bottom 6 role).

My beef with the AHL is that it's a league still clinging to the goon concept. I don't want McCarron getting his face bashed in like Tinordi did.

Believe it or not, I think the NHL is safer for him, he would only be fighting actual hockey players, unlike the AHL with it's career goons.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
My beef with the AHL is that it's a league still clinging to the goon concept. I don't want McCarron getting his face bashed in like Tinordi did.

Believe it or not, I think the NHL is safer for him, he would only be fighting actual hockey players, unlike the AHL with it's career goons.

I don't think that's really accurate anymore. What I fear most about the AHL is Lefebvre. Tinordi is getting into fights because (at least that's what I personally believe) the management and the coaching staff in the AHL are encouraging him to do so. Might be wrong though, might be his dad pushing him to do it to 'force' the Habs to bring him in.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't think that's really accurate anymore. What I fear most about the AHL is Lefebvre. Tinordi is getting into fights because (at least that's what I personally believe) the management and the coaching staff in the AHL are encouraging him to do so. Might be wrong though, might be his dad pushing him to do it to 'force' the Habs to bring him in.

I kind of think the same thing happens with Crisp since his coming into AHL. He's got more skill than just getting into meaningless fights... Lefebvre is most probably an idiot to begin with, and if (that's a big 'if' though, but still plausible) he encourages his players to get into fights, tells a lot about his 'teaching skills'...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What a great game he had tonight vs Quebec. He keeps getting better and better. He does it all and he does it all well.

Great on the draws, very good foot speed and agility (Not just for a big guy, he's fast period.), hits hard, good shot, good positioning, nice hands and great vision. Complete player. I think he could make the show even if he was average size.

Fun game to watch even though it was one sided. Fucale made it interesting. Desrochers with the F bomb in the post game interview was pretty funny lol.

I kind of think the same thing happens with Crisp since his coming into AHL. He's got more skill than just getting into meaningless fights... Lefebvre is most probably an idiot to begin with, and if (that's a big 'if' though, but still plausible) he encourages his players to get into fights, tells a lot about his 'teaching skills'...

I really hope Crisp gets a better shot next year. His skill surprised me in juniors. I hope with an injury-free offseason, he can really come back and impress next year. Definitely not writing him off.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Haven't seen this comparison before but what about a Kreider type ? Their game is really similar imo.

Actually McCarron's a lot bigger than Kreider but Kreider's a lot faster. I hate that Ranger kid but he can skate like the wind. So both power forward-ish guys but McCarron's an underrated playmaker and they are physically different.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Actually McCarron's a lot bigger than Kreider but Kreider's a lot faster. I hate that Ranger kid but he can skate like the wind. So both power forward-ish guys but McCarron's an underrated playmaker and they are physically different.

McC is taller, but they weigh approximately the same, so it isn't a stretch to think McCarron can be almost as fast with some off season training. If he does, he can offer up a similar game. But he also can offer a little of that intimidation factor that Lucic does as well. If McC plays in a top 6 role with about 40-50 pts we will have something we've been mission since Corson

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
McC is taller, but they weigh approximately the same, so it isn't a stretch to think McCarron can be almost as fast with some off season training. If he does, he can offer up a similar game. But he also can offer a little of that intimidation factor that Lucic does as well. If McC plays in a top 6 role with about 40-50 pts we will have something we've been mission since Corson

McCarron when I have seen him was fairly soft. I hope that changes though. There is so much potential in McCarron's game and he is a safe pick at the safe time as been a boom or bust type of guy too.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
McCarron when I have seen him was fairly soft. I hope that changes though. There is so much potential in McCarron's game and he is a safe pick at the safe time as been a boom or bust type of guy too.

LOL..the only thing that needs to change is how often you watch him, or perhaps the spectacles you're wearing because the last thing he can be described as is soft. ;)

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
My guess is that Big Mac get's some NHL time next season... He is definitely just what the doctor ordered for the habs, but he'll have to beat out the guys in front of him. I think a big question is whether he will play RW or C. If they see him as a RW moving forward he could be a regular NHLer very soon!

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
LOL..the only thing that needs to change is how often you watch him, or perhaps the spectacles you're wearing because the last thing he can be described as is soft. ;)

When I saw him in training camp last summer I was disappointed that he didn't use the body more.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009

Then again if he was constantly abusing his smaller opposition, he'd get bashed for it and how he would never be able to get away with it at the Pro levels...

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
If he's soft, those bruins he was knocking around must no longer be in the NHL, as they are wayyyyy too soft then.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
When I saw him in training camp last summer I was disappointed that he didn't use the body more.

I found he was physical, used his size to cycle. But not get out of position too much for that big hit either. I've watched him play (on TV and streamed) about 11 times this season, and I always thought he was balanced with using his size and not running around looking for that big hit. He was calculated, and cycled the puck very well. Being a C has helped his lack of speed vs smaller guys be less of a factor because he isn't stopping/starting all teh time. But Some offseason work can bring in some speed on the 1st step for when he is likely to be a RW in Pro.

Right now, I think he's playing a very strong Mem Cup. We will be very happy with him in MTL in a couple seasons

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Please dont crucify me for asking but I haven't watch McCarron play that much. Seems like an exciting prospect to me but I wonder how his junior years compare to somebody like Mike Blunden who had comparable stats. Blunden seemed like an interesting prospect at some point but busted. Didn't use his physicality enough?

What tools McCarron have that Blunden didn't have to make you think he'll be a regular nhler? I sure hope he makes it!

Thanks for the info!

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Please dont crucify me for asking but I haven't watch McCarron play that much. Seems like an exciting prospect to me but I wonder how his junior years compare to somebody like Mike Blunden who had comparable stats. Blunden seemed like an interesting prospect at some point but busted. Didn't use his physicality enough?

What tools McCarron have that Blunden didn't have to make you think he'll be a regular nhler? I sure hope he makes it!

Thanks for the info!

They both play a different game and don't have the same tools.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

He was not going out of his way to maim guys on his own team..he even commented on taking it easier on them...but as you saw versus Boston once they played an opponent there was no issue with his physical play. Believe me..he is not soft.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
He was not going out of his way to maim guys on his own team..he even commented on taking it easier on them...but as you saw versus Boston once they played an opponent there was no issue with his physical play. Believe me..he is not soft.

I wasn't stating that he was.

He isn't overly physical however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: