Prospect Info: McCarron Thread Part III - A true scotsman never bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
He was not going out of his way to maim guys on his own team..he even commented on taking it easier on them...but as you saw versus Boston once they played an opponent there was no issue with his physical play. Believe me..he is not soft.

Agreed. So often taller players get criticized for not being physical enough because they aren't out there looking to put other players through the glass. There is a difference between being physical and being aggressive. McCarron might not be aggressive, but he's certainly physical. As a bigger player sometimes it's best to lean on players and have them spend their energy defending you rather than waste your energy by going out of the way for big hits.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
From what I've seen of him, he is very strong on the puck and hard to move in front of the net. I hope he plays centre for us eventually.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I wasn't stating that he was.

He isn't overly physical however.

You said whenever you have seen him he was "fairly soft"..now you deny it...and say "not overly physical." You need to watch more..as you are wrong. He doesn't shy away from the traffic areas..at all...had the highest penalty minutes among all top scorers in the reg. season and playoffs....fought when it was necessary, hit when it was opportune. Hell he just fought a 6-7 dman the other night at the Memorial cup..you consider that to be the act of a "fairly soft" player? He's had 18 fights the past two seasons....again..the acts of a "fairly soft" player? That's fairly inaccurate.

He's not going out of his way to be out of the play to make a hit like he was last year on the wing..but that's part of the responsibility of playing at center....not being out of the play very much...you will notice that 80 per cent of the top hitting forwards are wingers.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-hits-statistics/2014/

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Then again, what were Blunden's tools in junior, what did he lack that McCarron have?

Speed, skill, vision and the will to improve. Also not nearly as big. Blunden relied only on crashing the net and was pretty one dimensional whereas McCarron is capable of creating plays off his stick by either beating a guy with strength and speed or by making a nice pass. Blunden had only one good year for the otters where he played with skilled players.

Also, Blunden was dominating players physically in the OHL but wasn't quite as dominant in the NHL due to players being stronger. McCarron is already much bigger and stronger than almost all NHL players. 6'6" 240 pounds at 20 (likely to get even bigger) vs a guy who was 6'3" and 210.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Just to add on the "why he could make the team quickly" bandwagon, McCarron is a right shot. We have missed a consistent right hand center for eons, in fact I can't remember who was the last one. Instead of having to rely to fourth line UFAs, we could finally have a good long term option. Especially if he manage to remain as good in faceoffs as he has been in junior.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You said whenever you have seen him he was "fairly soft"..now you deny it...and say "not overly physical." You need to watch more..as you are wrong. He doesn't shy away from the traffic areas..at all...had the highest penalty minutes among all top scorers in the reg. season and playoffs....fought when it was necessary, hit when it was opportune. Hell he just fought a 6-7 dman the other night at the Memorial cup..you consider that to be the act of a "fairly soft" player? He's had 18 fights the past two seasons....again..the acts of a "fairly soft" player? That's fairly inaccurate.

He's not going out of his way to be out of the play to make a hit like he was last year on the wing..but that's part of the responsibility of playing at center....not being out of the play very much...you will notice that 80 per cent of the top hitting forwards are wingers.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-hits-statistics/2014/

No need to be mad...... I was just stating my opinion. I love Big Mac. We just have a different definition of what it means to use the body. Which is fine.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
No need to be mad...... I was just stating my opinion. I love Big Mac. We just have a different definition of what it means to use the body. Which is fine.

Debating you equals madness does it? You argued with me that you never said he was soft..which was an outright lie...then it was "he's not overly physical"..now we have different definitions of physical. Backtrack much?

I've watched McCarron play well over 100 times the past three years, and the last thing I would describe him as is "fairly soft". Please explain to me your definition of "fairly soft"...I don't think anyone else on here has a clue what that might be.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Debating you equals madness does it? You argued with me that you never said he was soft..which was an outright lie...then it was "he's not overly physical"..now we have different definitions of physical. Backtrack much?

I've watched McCarron play well over 100 times the past three years, and the last thing I would describe him as is "fairly soft". Please explain to me your definition of "fairly soft"...I don't think anyone else on here has a clue what that might be.

I do not wish to continue a discussion because you seem to be on a war path. I can better spend my time. You have a wonderful evening, Grant.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Big Mac and Sherback need a full season of top-line minutes in the AHL for grooming. I wouldn't think having them on the team this year will help unless they are unbelievable in camp and pre-season.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I see McCarron getting the same treatment that DLR did, starts in the AHL and if management thinks he's ready he will be called up full time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just to add on the "why he could make the team quickly" bandwagon, McCarron is a right shot. We have missed a consistent right hand center for eons, in fact I can't remember who was the last one. Instead of having to rely to fourth line UFAs, we could finally have a good long term option. Especially if he manage to remain as good in faceoffs as he has been in junior.

well they had Mitchell and it sounds like he might be back, granted they could use him on the wing if need be.

Big Mac and Sherback need a full season of top-line minutes in the AHL for grooming. I wouldn't think having them on the team this year will help unless they are unbelievable in camp and pre-season.

I think it's hard to say what they will need until we see how the do in the NHL. I was against Bournival making the team out of camp, I was against calling up DLR, but if they show enough then they should get a look, if they do something with that look then good for us. If not then time in the AHL will be good for them.

I see McCarron getting the same treatment that DLR did, starts in the AHL and if management thinks he's ready he will be called up full time.

I could see that, although I want to see how he does at camp and then go from there. I think the thing with McCarron is that we so badly need someone like him and he's already physically mature, that they could be tempted to keep him up. One things for sure, this training camp is going to be very interesting.

McCarron with a huge hit on Draisaitl

yea that was cool to see, but he's always been a physical player in the all the games I've seen him. I'd say he's easily our more physical prospect, as he really seems to enjoy taking the body.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
well they had Mitchell and it sounds like he might be back, granted they could use him on the wing if need be.

I think it's hard to say what they will need until we see how the do in the NHL. I was against Bournival making the team out of camp, I was against calling up DLR, but if they show enough then they should get a look, if they do something with that look then good for us. If not then time in the AHL will be good for them.

I could see that, although I want to see how he does at camp and then go from there. I think the thing with McCarron is that we so badly need someone like him and he's already physically mature, that they could be tempted to keep him up. One things for sure, this training camp is going to be very interesting.

yea that was cool to see, but he's always been a physical player in the all the games I've seen him. I'd say he's easily our more physical prospect, as he really seems to enjoy taking the body.

No doubt

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Speed, skill, vision and the will to improve. Also not nearly as big. Blunden relied only on crashing the net and was pretty one dimensional whereas McCarron is capable of creating plays off his stick by either beating a guy with strength and speed or by making a nice pass. Blunden had only one good year for the otters where he played with skilled players.

Also, Blunden was dominating players physically in the OHL but wasn't quite as dominant in the NHL due to players being stronger. McCarron is already much bigger and stronger than almost all NHL players. 6'6" 240 pounds at 20 (likely to get even bigger) vs a guy who was 6'3" and 210.

Very insightful, thanks!!

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I don't see why this worried so many people, it's more common for a US developed player to struggle in his first year than it is they don't. But I can at least understand that. What I don't understand people who wrote him off because of it. It's one thing to worry about a player after his draft year, totally another to completely write him off.

Personally, I've always seen the potential in his game. I'm quite pleased with his development thus far, a guy like that with a solid head on his shoulders improving leaps and bounds at his size is glorious. :)

I think a lot of teams will regret not taking him before we did. Hopefully I'm right. I don't blame people for being worried even though I wasn't, but some people on here almost take pleasure in our prospects having problems just so they can say I told you so. "I told you so" kind of loses meaning when the same people are constantly ragging on everything the club ever does. Even a broken clock is right sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if these people actually think it makes them look smart to make unfounded baseless claims about a player or team and have it be right. It isn't like they're somehow great evaluators of talent as a result.

Checking a stat line and making a decision on a player doesn't make you a scout it just makes you foolish IMO. (Not you, but the same people on here who constantly do it)

I have a feeling most of the time they've never even once seen the player play one game, then debate till they're blue in the face against others who have and the words of NHL scouts who clearly feel differently. Anyways you had every right to be worried, not saying you're one of those people, just pointing out that with prospects patience is key. People are already writing off Tinordi. It isn't like he's 28 years old or anything.

Best post I've read all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille