Prospect Info: McCarron Thread Part III - A true scotsman never bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I think the time with the Hunters was great for him to start, but the move to Oshawa, who play a rigid system will help him in the long run. It made him learn how to adjust his game, in season, and it seemed to help his defensive side as well.
it was bad, but it had nothing to do with his skill set. It had everything to do with being a rookie, and simply not understanding what it took to play a pro style schedule. The massive difference betwwen last season and this season was him understanding that his off season training was key. He worked his butt off, and look at that difference it made.

We can't expect massive leaps in devellopment next year, but he will not be out of place in the AHL. A 40pt season, with over 100 PIM all while playing that physical game on the boards will be a big plus for St-John's.

We can't expect massive leaps in his development as you say, but Mike said he expects himself to work out hard enough during the off season, to build his stamina up to enable him to double his ability to go full out, from what he's doing this season, he feels that's where he needs to be entering the NHL. That says lots about his drive to become the best player he can, having the work ethic to double his accomplishments from last summer, I wouldn't count him out for making the Habs out of training camp. As a matter of fact, I would count on him making the lineup, as long as he remains healthy, character being a main criteria the Habs look for in their prospects, McCarron has a truckload of character. His teammates in London gave him a huge sendoff game when he was traded to Oshawa, he was the 1st star that Knight, speaks to the type of young man the Habs have in him!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
We can't expect massive leaps in his development as you say, but Mike said he expects himself to work out hard enough during the off season, to build his stamina up to enable him to double his ability to go full out, from what he's doing this season, he feels that's where he needs to be entering the NHL. That says lots about his drive to become the best player he can, having the work ethic to double his accomplishments from last summer, I wouldn't count him out for making the Habs out of training camp. As a matter of fact, I would count on him making the lineup, as long as he remains healthy, character being a main criteria the Habs look for in their prospects, McCarron has a truckload of character. His teammates in London gave him a huge sendoff game when he was traded to Oshawa, he was the 1st star that Knight, speaks to the type of young man the Habs have in him!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I have no doubt he will put in the work. He saw what it did for him this year. And we know the Habs will have people help guide his training too. I also feel he could make the lineup next season. But, I feel it would be more of a need for size, and that he could stunt his progression ala Latendresse by doing so.

He will more than likely need to get used to the speed of the progame and how he can use his advantages. And doing that in the AHL is beneficial for him I think. Big guys usually take more time.

I think we have a drafted a very motivated, versitile player.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I have no doubt he will put in the work. He saw what it did for him this year. And we know the Habs will have people help guide his training too. I also feel he could make the lineup next season. But, I feel it would be more of a need for size, and that he could stunt his progression ala Latendresse by doing so.

He will more than likely need to get used to the speed of the progame and how he can use his advantages. And doing that in the AHL is beneficial for him I think. Big guys usually take more time.

I think we have a drafted a very motivated, versitile player.

With the kind of season he's had this year, playing with top offensive players, he's shown an ability to complement the best players. It wouldn't shock me, to see the habs playing him with Pacioretty(LW) & Galchenyuk(C), Mike (RW).:nod: He's already able to play the physical game in the NHL, as we seen against the Bruins in pre-season last summer, it was unfortunate he was injured hitting the goalpost that game. He has been a real revelation from one season to another, I truly expect more of the same from him, the guy is driven to succeed, IMHO.:nod:

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
With the kind of season he's had this year, playing with top offensive players, he's shown an ability to complement the best players. It wouldn't shock me, to see the habs playing him with Pacioretty(LW) & Galchenyuk(C), Mike (RW).:nod: He's already able to play the physical game in the NHL, as we seen against the Bruins in pre-season last summer, it was unfortunate he was injured hitting the goalpost that game. He has been a real revelation from one season to another, I truly expect more of the same from him, the guy is driven to succeed, IMHO.:nod:

I think he will be given every chance in the preseason, and even a few games. But once MT starts moving him down the lineup (and we know he will), he should be moved to St-John's so he can play that top 6 role, and learn for the season. I think he will make a good complimentary top 6 winger (40-50 pts, physical) but he will need a little time to become used to the pace.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Yeah it seems like his play really scales with the players he's with. I was watching him with Dal Colle yesterday and he was incredible offensively. Every time that line was on they dominated and completely hemmed in the Remparts. Same story with Domi when he was absolutely tearing up the points sheet.

When he was with Cassels, he was insane defensively. Was able to completely shut down the opposition.

I like the idea of him playing with Patches and Chucky next year though. His size, speed and strength will give patches and Chucky some room to maneuver and do their thing.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I think he will be given every chance in the preseason, and even a few games. But once MT starts moving him down the lineup (and we know he will), he should be moved to St-John's so he can play that top 6 role, and learn for the season. I think he will make a good complimentary top 6 winger (40-50 pts, physical) but he will need a little time to become used to the pace.

Well I don't know if MT has the nuts to try pulling that crap on McCarron, he might roll him up into a ball and slam him!:laugh: The kid's playing the game exactly the way the Habs wanted from him when they drafted him, he's going to be a good one no doubting that for anyone, even the hard core detractors, that hated the pick. Have to notice he's not a goon, but a real life hockey player with smarts, the drive and ambition to become a first line player and leader on any team he's a team player that gives his all for the team & his teammates, a class act. It's merely a matter of time & experience, when not if he breaks into the Habs lineup, IMHO.:nod:

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Well I don't know if MT has the nuts to try pulling that crap on McCarron, he might roll him up into a ball and slam him!:laugh: The kid's playing the game exactly the way the Habs wanted from him when they drafted him, he's going to be a good one no doubting that for anyone, even the hard core detractors, that hated the pick. Have to notice he's not a goon, but a real life hockey player with smarts, the drive and ambition to become a first line player and leader on any team he's a team player that gives his all for the team & his teammates, a class act. It's merely a matter of time & experience, when not if he breaks into the Habs lineup, IMHO.:nod:

I liked the pick when it happened. I also thought he was a solid 4 years away. Here we are at 2. I think one more year would do it, so he is still ahead of the curve in my view. But if he makes it next season. That would be amazing

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I liked the pick when it happened. I also thought he was a solid 4 years away. Here we are at 2. I think one more year would do it, so he is still ahead of the curve in my view. But if he makes it next season. That would be amazing

Yes it would, for every Hab fan I'm sure the opposition teams won't be liking it much though, especially Boston and their fans, the Irish ones will be drooling and asking for a trade for him, like they wanted Chris Nilan yrs. ago.:laugh: The Habs beat them to another gem IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Yes it would, for every Hab fan I'm sure the opposition teams won't be liking it much though, especially Boston and their fans, the Irish ones will be drooling and asking for a trade for him, like they wanted Chris Nilan yrs. ago.:laugh: The Habs beat them to another gem IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

In a couple years, definately. He works on his 1st step and builds more speed in the offseason, he will be a solid contributor. Especially driving the bantowners nutz...maybe he can have his own McD burger to sell in Boston too?

Malreg

May 12, 2011
I really like McCarron, and think he's had a great year, but fans need to REALLY temper their expectations here.

I think McCarron's a solid prospect, but his realistic ceiling is going to be something like a 3rd line center who can be solid defensively, chip in offensively, kill penalties, etc. People calling for him to play on the 1st line with Pacioretty and Chucky next year need a reality check.

Yes, he had a couple of solid pre-season games last year. But it was just that, pre-season, which is nowhere close to regular season speed or intensity. He still has a long way to go, and a full year in the AHL will do him good.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
I really like McCarron, and think he's had a great year, but fans need to REALLY temper their expectations here.

I think McCarron's a solid prospect, but his realistic ceiling is going to be something like a 3rd line center who can be solid defensively, chip in offensively, kill penalties, etc. People calling for him to play on the 1st line with Pacioretty and Chucky next year need a reality check.

Yes, he had a couple of solid pre-season games last year. But it was just that, pre-season, which is nowhere close to regular season speed or intensity. He still has a long way to go, and a full year in the AHL will do him good.

If he can become anything like B.Boyle, id be happy.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Haven't seen this comparison before but what about a Kreider type ? Their game is really similar imo.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

I agree, he needs more time to develop

Haven't seen this comparison before but what about a Kreider type ? Their game is really similar imo.

I think it is a similar style. I also think that McC shoud get the AHL time Kreider did, it took him 2 years of Pro to really become effective. And a 40-50 pt complimentary winger. And no one calls him a 3rd liner here.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I see McCarron being very much like Clark Gillies was for the three Amigos line, playing with Galchenyuk(C)(Like Trottier) and Pacioretty(LW) increasing his game, playmaking, PKing, goalscoring, becoming our Mike Bossy on a high scoring line in the near future, anyone else see the writing on the wall?:nod: The Habs team Bergevin & Therrien are building resembles that NYI's team, very good defensively great goalie and Potvin on defence. The resemblances are there no doubt in my mind.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I see McCarron being very much like Clark Gillies was for the three Amigos line, playing with Galchenyuk(C)(Like Trottier) and Pacioretty(LW) increasing his game, playmaking, PKing, goalscoring, becoming our Mike Bossy on a high scoring line in the near future, anyone else see the writing on the wall?:nod: The Habs team Bergevin & Therrien are building resembles that NYI's team, very good defensively great goalie and Potvin on defence. The resemblances are there no doubt in my mind.

with MT still being the coach, and DD still in the roster. I think it is highly unlikely we see that line at any point in the season....even for 1 shift

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

Totally agree. There's no way Therrien actually plays Galchenyuk with Pacioretty next year.

:sarcasm:

:cry:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
with MT still being the coach, and DD still in the roster. I think it is highly unlikely we see that line at any point in the season....even for 1 shift

Ye of little faith,:laugh: Therrien has the Habs playing tremendously defensively, like Habs teams of the past building the team from the goalie out to the defence which is maturing right now, then comes the offence last but certainly not least. I've watched so many organizations being built in the NHL over the yrs., just a hockey fanatic, the Habs are so close I can barely stand the waiting, soon though really soon!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Ye of little faith,:laugh: Therrien has the Habs playing tremendously defensively, like Habs teams of the past building the team from the goalie out to the defence which is maturing right now, then comes the offence last but certainly not least. I've watched so many organizations being built in the NHL over the yrs., just a hockey fanatic, the Habs are so close I can barely stand the waiting, soon though really soon!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

someone is in a good mood! :laugh:

MT's strange, near illegal manlove of DD would block any chance of a Patches-Galch - McC line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad