Prospect Info: McCarron Thread Part III - A true scotsman never bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I really like McCarron, and think he's had a great year, but fans need to REALLY temper their expectations here.

I think McCarron's a solid prospect, but his realistic ceiling is going to be something like a 3rd line center who can be solid defensively, chip in offensively, kill penalties, etc. People calling for him to play on the 1st line with Pacioretty and Chucky next year need a reality check.

Yes, he had a couple of solid pre-season games last year. But it was just that, pre-season, which is nowhere close to regular season speed or intensity. He still has a long way to go, and a full year in the AHL will do him good.

We played Weiss first line this year so what's wrong with trying McCarron up there. Bickell's ceiling was 4th liner but he's tearing it up on the second line now. Some players just complement others well and I'm of the opinion that Patches with McCarron could be a good combination. After all, Dal Colle is a very similar player to Pacioretty the they are great together.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
We played Weiss first line this year so what's wrong with trying McCarron up there. Bickell's ceiling was 4th liner but he's tearing it up on the second line now. Some players just complement others well and I'm of the opinion that Patches with McCarron could be a good combination. After all, Dal Colle is a very similar player to Pacioretty the they are great together.

I agree in theory. But I don't think pencilling McC into the roster for next season is doable. I really feel he needs some seasoning in the AHL. He will get some NHL time. But he won't be a full timer in the NHL for at least another season

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I agree in theory. But I don't think pencilling McC into the roster for next season is doable. I really feel he needs some seasoning in the AHL. He will get some NHL time. But he won't be a full timer in the NHL for at least another season

It all depends on how he does in camp though. The fact that he really fits the habs needs should certainly help him. If he shines during camp and pre season, I see no reason not to keep him up for at least a few games. If there is an injury I'm pretty sure he will be the first to be called up as well. DLR made it so maybe McCarron can too.

I just don't like having a prospect such as McCarron being coached by Lefebvre. I don't trust that guy at all. Habs should just hire DJ Smith to coach the Bulldogs or something. The way the Generals play is just beautiful to watch.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
It all depends on how he does in camp though. The fact that he really fits the habs needs should certainly help him. If he shines during camp and pre season, I see no reason not to keep him up for at least a few games. If there is an injury I'm pretty sure he will be the first to be called up as well. DLR made it so maybe McCarron can too.

I just don't like having a prospect such as McCarron being coached by Lefebvre. I don't trust that guy at all. Habs should just hire DJ Smith to coach the Bulldogs or something. The way the Generals play is just beautiful to watch.

he does fit a need, but unless he is truly ready for that top 6 role as a complimentary player, we are better off in the long term grooming him in the AHL. As far as coaching.....we should hire DJ to coach the Habs.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
he does fit a need, but unless he is truly ready for that top 6 role as a complimentary player, we are better off in the long term grooming him in the AHL. As far as coaching.....we should hire DJ to coach the Habs.

Lol yeah I'm pretty sure he's already better than Therrien. Problem is he's not French:laugh:

Malreg

May 12, 2011

Oh my... All of these are just from the first page:

Bust. Terrible pick.
****ing joke. "lets not take zykov or hartman"

has bust all over his face
Terrible choice, timmins should not be allowed to choose forwards.
who takes a grinder for the first pick? "that is a big kid" who ****ing cares when he wont even be close to a top 6. This is ********

So many experts on here. So many people wanted Zykov.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I've been watching the Mem cup, mainly to see McCarron....

Do people think he has a better shot of playing centre or wing in the NHL?
Having a big guy like that in front of the net on one of our PP units would work wonders imo.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I've been watching the Mem cup, mainly to see McCarron....

Do people think he has a better shot of playing centre or wing in the NHL?
Having a big guy like that in front of the net on one of our PP units would work wonders imo.

no reason he couldn't do both.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
This guy is a monster down low, can't wait for him to be on this team but I would still prefer for him to spend at least half of the season in the AHL.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
This guy is a monster down low, can't wait for him to be on this team but I would still prefer for him to spend at least half of the season in the AHL.

If he has an even better camp than last year, I don't see why he could not start the season with the Habs. On the RW, it shouldn't be too hard to do better than PAP and DSP.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
If he has an even better camp than last year, I don't see why he could not start the season with the Habs. On the RW, it shouldn't be too hard to do better than PAP and DSP.

He will be a full timer next year.

He was one of the last cuts last year right ?

Just standing in front of the net would get him 30 pts at least in his first season.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He will be a full timer next year.

He was one of the last cuts last year right ?

Just standing in front of the net would get him 30 pts at least in his first season.

He broke his arm during the camp last year. Habs had to wait until he was healthy before releasing him, so yeah technically he was on the last cut.

He'll start in the AHL next camp, because that's what we do.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't necessarily disagree with the principle that he wouldn't be NHL ready next training camp because he is defensively and physically (although he can still gain some strength) and already plays a pro game BUT I don't think it'd be a bad idea to let him prove himself offensively in the AHL. Of course you can always make an argument on which approach is better (Lucic went straight to the NHL as a 19 year old and played on the 4th line in a role people are open to give Big Mac next season) vs say the way the Kings handled Boyle's development (2 years in the AHL with a few cups of coffees in the NHL). IMO the best approach would be the one the Hurricanes had with Ladd (AHL until the new year and try him out in a bottom 6 role).

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
He broke his arm during the camp last year. Habs had to wait until he was healthy before releasing him, so yeah technically he was on the last cut.

He'll start in the AHL next camp, because that's what we do.

Galchenyuk made it out of camp...

I am not saying he will 100 % but it is VERY likely due to the fact that he is huge and skates like the wind and we are desperately in need of a guy like him.

Bergevin even stated that it is our youngsters spot to lose.

I don't necessarily disagree with the principle that he wouldn't be NHL ready next training camp because he is defensively and physically (although he can still gain some strength) and already plays a pro game BUT I don't think it'd be a bad idea to let him prove himself offensively in the AHL. Of course you can always make an argument on which approach is better (Lucic went straight to the NHL as a 19 year old and played on the 4th line in a role people are open to give Big Mac next season) vs say the way the Kings handled Boyle's development (2 years in the AHL with a few cups of coffees in the NHL). IMO the best approach would be the one the Hurricanes had with Ladd (AHL until the new year and try him out in a bottom 6 role).

Like we did with JDLR.

I would like that too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I am not saying he will 100 % but it is VERY likely due to the fact that he is huge and skates like the wind and we are desperately in need of a guy like him.

The Habs were kind of handcuffed, it was either NHL or OHL (where he was tearing it up) for him. Plus we had some glaring holes with Gomez sent home.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
The Habs were kind of handcuffed, it was either NHL or OHL (where he was tearing it up) for him. Plus we had some glaring holes with Gomez sent home.

We have some glaring holes with our lack of depth at C and RW and size.

He fills both IMO.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Galchenyuk could not go in the AHL, it was during the lockout year and it was the only time player made it out camp (with Gally) so far. Even coach's favorite and last cut, DLR, had to go to the AHL.

And we desperately need a center, yet did nothing to help ourselves in that department in the last 3 years.

It's a transition year and the last thing we do during transition year is to play youngster.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Galchenyuk could not go in the AHL, it was during the lockout year and it was the only time player made it out camp (with Gally) so far. Even coach's favorite and last cut, DLR, had to go to the AHL.

And we desperately need a center, yet did nothing to help ourselves in that department in the last 3 years.

It's a transition year and the last thing we do during transition year is to play youngster.

Sarcasm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad