Mayweather vs McGregor Pt II

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
What the hell fight were you watching? McGregor beat Mayweather handily in at least the first three rounds. He just didn't have the stamina to last late into the match.

And here's where we see that you have no idea what it is you were watching

If you were playing 1v1 with somebody much better than you and they let you waltz to the basket 5 times, intentionally not trying to defend you, but then they went and scored 21 straight, do you think you were "competitive"? Of course not.

Getting a couple of early rounds on Mayweather is nothing. He basically gave them away while getting a look at Conor and letting him gas himself. What happened is exactly what Floyd wanted, it wasn't any competitiveness from Conor, it was him falling into exactly what Floyd wanted.

People who follow Boxing, Floyd specifically, knew exactly what was going on, it's been seen before. It's only the uninformed Conor fans who think omg he was hanging with Floyd lol.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Well worth the money and the 50 dollar cover charge in Nevada

Glad to see some boxing experts can give credit where it's due. Conor was never going to win but he did better than most expected... and he made 100 mil doing it.

Funny some can't just appreciate both fighters.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I have no problem giving Conor credit for going and getting his 100 million dollars.

The problem is the MMA brigade and Conor fans blowing it out of proportion, talking about him being "competitive" when the fight was not competitive in the slightest, trying to boast about how he lasted 10 rounds against the best Boxer on the planet, when that best Boxer is a defensive whiz who had one KO in the last decade. He could have fought worse Boxers, who are more powerful and more aggressive, and things would have been much more vicious, the untrained eyes don't understand that Floyd dominated and controlled this fight in a different way, in the way he usually does.

I keep hearing "he did better than most expected", he lost a completely one sided fight in which he never looked for a moment like he was going to win. Not even for a single moment. How is that better than expected? because a few people who didn't know what they were tuning in for thought Floyd would unleash some savage beating on him despite the fact Floyd hasn't done that to someone for a decade? that's like calling out the people who were talking about how Conor was going to KO Floyd and that Floyd had never met someone with his power. Those people didn't have a clue, the people who thought Floyd would come out and unleash an onslaught from the outset didn't have a clue.

The fight went exactly as expected for most people. How much patting on the back do you want to do for the guy for being on the receiving end of a completely one sided loss? he was meant to lose, he did, no shame for him, but nothing to get carried away about.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You forget to say in your opinion. A lot of people with a whole lot more credibility than you view it differently.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I see a lot of people stroking Mayweather for being in control the whole time and never at risk for losing that fight. I see a lot of people stroking McGregor for putting on a good show, when most experts didn't think it would be a good show. I see the fans of both sides discrediting the impact the other person had on the fight.

But in all honesty, it was a "competitive" fight because McGregor looked better than people thought he would and Mayweather slowing down because of age. People can say that Floyd let McGregor win the early rounds, and that's true. He wasn't assertive, didn't throw many punches at all, and didn't look very engaged. Why that was is where you can argue. Was it because he had a master strategy to let McGregor punch himself out or was his slow start due to his being 40 and not having fought in 2 years? I can see both sides of that.

The one real takeaway I have from this fight is pretty obvious to non Mayweather fanboys. I had asked before why Floyd wanted to fight a guy with zero boxing experience, and the answer was on display that entire fight: Because he would have gotten killed fighting a real, younger, stronger, elite level boxer instead of a guy that was supposed to be a tomato can. Simple as that. It was not a good display by Mayweather in any way, shape, or form. He looked old. He looked slow. He looked shaky. And you know what? He knew it too, which is why he kept emphatically saying he was retired. He took one last paycheck, had one last bow, and now he's done. Because if he tries to comeback again and fight a good boxer, he's going to lose and he fully realizes that.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I don't think Mayweather is old, I think he just fought old. He didn't have to move around much because he was just sparring in there. I don't think Mayweather would've lost regardless of who he would've faced.

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I see a lot of people stroking Mayweather for being in control the whole time and never at risk for losing that fight. I see a lot of people stroking McGregor for putting on a good show, when most experts didn't think it would be a good show. I see the fans of both sides discrediting the impact the other person had on the fight.

But in all honesty, it was a "competitive" fight because McGregor looked better than people thought he would and Mayweather slowing down because of age. People can say that Floyd let McGregor win the early rounds, and that's true. He wasn't assertive, didn't throw many punches at all, and didn't look very engaged. Why that was is where you can argue. Was it because he had a master strategy to let McGregor punch himself out or was his slow start due to his being 40 and not having fought in 2 years? I can see both sides of that.

The one real takeaway I have from this fight is pretty obvious to non Mayweather fanboys. I had asked before why Floyd wanted to fight a guy with zero boxing experience, and the answer was on display that entire fight: Because he would have gotten killed fighting a real, younger, stronger, elite level boxer instead of a guy that was supposed to be a tomato can. Simple as that. It was not a good display by Mayweather in any way, shape, or form. He looked old. He looked slow. He looked shaky. And you know what? He knew it too, which is why he kept emphatically saying he was retired. He took one last paycheck, had one last bow, and now he's done. Because if he tries to comeback again and fight a good boxer, he's going to lose and he fully realizes that.

How is a fight where one guy never looked like winning competitive? At any point did you think McGregor looked like he was going to win? So where is the competition. If a team was expected to lose 10-0 and only lost 8-0 it doesn't mean they were competitive because they did better than expected, they still got trounced 8-0.

You said Floyd wouldn't come forward, you laughed it off when he said he would be more aggressive, yet he did exactly that. But still all you did was criticise his performance and act like that didn't happen. So Conor doing better then expected, despite still losing a completely one sided fight, is competitive. Floyd doing something you didn't expect him to do though just means you criticising him.

The reason it's quite obvious that this was Floyd's plan is that we've seen this plan used in the past. Floyd sacrificing early rounds isn't some new thing.

The actual answer to your question is 300 million dollars. No other option would provide anywhere near that much money. If you still haven't figured that bit out you're very late to the party because the rest of the world had realised this from the outset.

You might be the only person on the planet who was wondering why he wasn't fighting some younger Boxing talent, as if he needed to prove something in the Boxing arena at 40 years old, retired for 2 years and after 49 fights. It was all about the money, because who wouldn't want 300 million in a heavily lopsided fight.

You sound like Skip on this.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Lol great retort.

:laugh: Should I waste more time arguing a stranger on the internet whose opinion and arrogance I don't respect?

Kellerman sums it up almost perfectly. Watch the video, you might learn something.

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
:laugh: Should I waste more time arguing a stranger on the internet whose opinion and arrogance I don't respect?

Kellerman sums it up almost perfectly. Watch the video, you might learn something.

So, as already confirmed, you don't actually know much about what you were watching at all and now need to resort to looking to other people to have an opinion for you lol.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So, as already confirmed, you don't actually know much about what you were watching at all and now need to resort to looking to other people to have an opinion for you lol.

Yeah, now you've got it! :laugh: It could never be that I share that opinion and referencing a video saves me having to write it all, huh? Crazy concept, I know.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, now you've got it! :laugh: It could never be that I share that opinion and referencing a video saves me having to write it all, huh? Crazy concept, I know.

And you thought Floyd was supposed to "murder" him so we know what your opinion on it means really.

If you can't differentiate between a dominant Mayweather style win and a dominant win from a more aggressive fighter then you don't know what you're speaking about.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And you thought Floyd was supposed to "murder" him so we know what your opinion on it means really.

If you can't differentiate between a dominant Mayweather style win and a dominant win from a more aggressive fighter then you don't know what you're speaking about.

:laugh: I thought Floyd was supposed to murder him? Are you slow or just struggle with reading? I'll assume it's a bit of both but it was just another one of the predictions in the media by people who were wrong. I was mocking that opinion, not voicing it. Reading comprehension is key.

This wasn't a dominant Mayweather style win. He fought a different fight than we're typically accustomed to and that could be for a number of debatable reasons. Age/diminishing skill, caution, unorthodox opponent etc, but the fact is that Conor hit him more than most and was predicted to "not lay a glove on him"... That in itself made the fight more competitive than most said it would be and you can't even debate that... So, what exactly are you and your Floyd Mayweather phonics self arguing?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How is a fight where one guy never looked like winning competitive? At any point did you think McGregor looked like he was going to win? So where is the competition. If a team was expected to lose 10-0 and only lost 8-0 it doesn't mean they were competitive because they did better than expected, they still got trounced 8-0.

You said Floyd wouldn't come forward, you laughed it off when he said he would be more aggressive, yet he did exactly that. But still all you did was criticise his performance and act like that didn't happen. So Conor doing better then expected, despite still losing a completely one sided fight, is competitive. Floyd doing something you didn't expect him to do though just means you criticising him.

The reason it's quite obvious that this was Floyd's plan is that we've seen this plan used in the past. Floyd sacrificing early rounds isn't some new thing.

The actual answer to your question is 300 million dollars. No other option would provide anywhere near that much money. If you still haven't figured that bit out you're very late to the party because the rest of the world had realised this from the outset.

You might be the only person on the planet who was wondering why he wasn't fighting some younger Boxing talent, as if he needed to prove something in the Boxing arena at 40 years old, retired for 2 years and after 49 fights. It was all about the money, because who wouldn't want 300 million in a heavily lopsided fight.

You sound like Skip on this.

I've asked this already, but I'll ask it again since you didn't want to answer it the first time. Was that a valid fight? Was he facing a competitor that was worthy of being in the ring with him? And after the fight, was his reaction and bravado for beating McGregor warranted?

I mean, you keep saying how he was never in trouble and how the fight was never in doubt, so I have to assume you think it wasn't, right?

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I think this fight helped boxing more the MMA in the sense that besides GGG/Canelo fight later,boxing has been on the downswing for a little while.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I've asked this already, but I'll ask it again since you didn't want to answer it the first time. Was that a valid fight? Was he facing a competitor that was worthy of being in the ring with him? And after the fight, was his reaction and bravado for beating McGregor warranted?

I mean, you keep saying how he was never in trouble and how the fight was never in doubt, so I have to assume you think it wasn't, right?

No it was a sparring match worth hundreds of millions of dollars before retirement. Why the hell would he fight a young good fighter with power punches in his last fight for a small reward? Over the past couple decades sports have become more about cash than prestige. Everyone knows that.

Sports are a spectacle for the masses, surely you got the memo.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No it was a sparring match worth hundreds of millions of dollars before retirement. Why the hell would he fight a young good fighter with power punches in his last fight for a small reward? Over the past couple decades sports have become more about cash than prestige. Everyone knows that.

Sports are a spectacle for the masses, surely you got the memo.

I get why Mayweather did it, but that wasn't what I asked. I didn't say what his motivation was. I asked whether it was legitimate for a self proclaimed greatest of all time type of fighter to have an exhibition match (read cash grab to pay back taxes) against a guy that had never boxed and then act like he beat Muhammad Ali afterwards. Since Moronov won't answer it, what do you say?

Seems pretty weak, IMO.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
:laugh: I thought Floyd was supposed to murder him? Are you slow or just struggle with reading? I'll assume it's a bit of both but it was just another one of the predictions in the media by people who were wrong. I was mocking that opinion, not voicing it. Reading comprehension is key.

This wasn't a dominant Mayweather style win. He fought a different fight than we're typically accustomed to and that could be for a number of debatable reasons. Age/diminishing skill, caution, unorthodox opponent etc, but the fact is that Conor hit him more than most and was predicted to "not lay a glove on him"... That in itself made the fight more competitive than most said it would be and you can't even debate that... So, what exactly are you and your Floyd Mayweather phonics self arguing?

You said Floyd was supposed to murder him, don't frame it as your own then back away from it lol

The only thing different about it was that he was actually more aggressive than usual lol.

Calling out people who thought Conor wouldn't lay a hand on him is like calling out the people who thought Conor would KO him.

Again, reality is this fight was not competitive at all. Not for a moment did it look like Conor would win. That's fact. That's not competitive. So no, I don't be going too overboard in the praise acting like he hung with Floyd.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

But I never ignored this at all. I've said it's a circus all along. When you asked if I thought Floyd had a good fight I openly said to you it's hard to classify it as good given the competition. That does not mean he was bad, but he easily outclassed someone who was not even close to his level, that's what he was meant to do.

The problem is, you are only just figuring out this was entirely about money. You were posting these dopey statements about why isn't he fighting someone else etc as if the 49-0 40 year old 2 years retired guy had something to prove.

As I said to you already, the book on Mayweather the Boxer was already closed. This was about 300 million and putting on the biggest PPV ever, nobody else could do this.

I've said all this before so don't act like I'm ducking questions, that's your style lol.

Bravado, from Floyd Mayweather? Who would have thought lol.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I get why Mayweather did it, but that wasn't what I asked. I didn't say what his motivation was. I asked whether it was legitimate for a self proclaimed greatest of all time type of fighter to have an exhibition match (read cash grab to pay back taxes) against a guy that had never boxed and then act like he beat Muhammad Ali afterwards. Since Moronov won't answer it, what do you say?

Seems pretty weak, IMO.

As someone who is not a fan of either, I'd say it was a legit exhibition fueled by nothing but money.

If Floyd really wanted to prove he's the best ever, he'd have fought GGG, Charlo or Thurman. But aside from maybe GGG, none of those fights would have generated half the attention and hype McGregor Moneyfight did.

He'll always be regarded as the beat defensive boxer of all time, but to go 50-0 vs an 0-0 boxer, MMA and amateur boxing background aside, should leave Floyd with an asterisk.

Having said all that, Floyd still showed that McGregor had no business being in the ring him and had Conor fought one of the aforementioned boxers above, he'd just be waking up from a coma.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

Seems pretty weak, IMO.

Again, you keep wanting to hold Floyd to the standard of GOAT because he proclaims himself to be. I've said to you countless times, Conor has called himself a God, do you then hold him to this standard.

Didn't look like a God in that last fight to me.

As Floyd has said, he didn't spend his life committed to this to say someone is better than him. That does not mean he is the GOAT, most of the rest of the world realise this is just Floyd and his ego yapping and don't give it much weight, but you're heavily invested trying to hold him to that standard and measure him to it lol. That really just says more about you than anything.

Many elite athletes have massive egos and think they are greater than they are, who knew.

I don't think Floyd is the greatest, Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest, but I don't get bent out of shape about Floyd saying he is. That's who he is, that's Floyd being Floyd. It's not OK to you, but it's fine when Conor declares himself a God, declares that he is Boxing and then doesn't do jack lol. But we do know your double standards with these two.

Kobe thinks he is better than MJ. He wasn't, it's widely accepted he wasn't, but that's Kobe being Kobe, that's his ego, that's his personality and internal belief. Do you fault him for that too? That belief is what made him who he was.

Moss thought he was better than Rice, or anyone, but again we all knew that's who Moss was. Ocho told us every week how he was the most unstoppable player in the league, that's just who he was.

It shouldn't need to be explained to you that many top athletes are full of themselves.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As someone who is not a fan of either, I'd say it was a legit exhibition fueled by nothing but money.

If Floyd really wanted to prove he's the best ever, he'd have fought GGG, Charlo or Thurman. But aside from maybe GGG, none of those fights would have generated half the attention and hype McGregor Moneyfight did.

He'll always be regarded as the beat defensive boxer of all time, but to go 50-0 vs an 0-0 boxer, MMA and amateur boxing background aside, should leave Floyd with an asterisk.

Having said all that, Floyd still showed that McGregor had no business being in the ring him and had Conor fought one of the aforementioned boxers above, he'd just be waking up from a coma.

Absolutely. I fully agree with this.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But I never ignored this at all. I've said it's a circus all along. When you asked if I thought Floyd had a good fight I openly said to you it's hard to classify it as good given the competition. That does not mean he was bad, but he easily outclassed someone who was not even close to his level, that's what he was meant to do.

The problem is, you are only just figuring out this was entirely about money. You were posting these dopey statements about why isn't he fighting someone else etc as if the 49-0 40 year old 2 years retired guy had something to prove.

As I said to you already, the book on Mayweather the Boxer was already closed. This was about 300 million and putting on the biggest PPV ever, nobody else could do this.

I've said all this before so don't act like I'm ducking questions, that's your style lol.

Bravado, from Floyd Mayweather? Who would have thought lol.

Yes, I'm just figuring out this was about money now, despite saying that from the jump. :laugh:

Again, I had no problem with the cash grab. I had no issues with them pretending it was a real fight even though everyone with any common sense knew what it was. I had no problem with Floyd carrying McGregor longer than he really needed to either. I also have no issues with saying it was a good display by McGregor because while he was never in it in any actuality, he put on a decent show. He tried hard and he pressed forward. He threw more punches than I thought he would, trying to make it a real fight. It wasn't but that's not his fault. It was the fault of the people offering him that amount of money to ever be there.

What I do have an issue with is how Floyd handled himself on ESPN after the fight. Acting like he'd accomplished something special when everyone in the world not named Mayweather or McGregor recognized this was a sham. That was some so pathetic and sad that it was laughable. I also have an issue with him not fighting a real boxer to go to 50-0. Celebrating that "win" like it was meaningful showed me how delusional the guy really is. It's an empty win. Again, it was pathetic.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Yes, I'm just figuring out this was about money now, despite saying that from the jump. :laugh:

Again, I had no problem with the cash grab. I had no issues with them pretending it was a real fight even though everyone with any common sense knew what it was. I had no problem with Floyd carrying McGregor longer than he really needed to either. I also have no issues with saying it was a good display by McGregor because while he was never in it in any actuality, he put on a decent show. He tried hard and he pressed forward. He threw more punches than I thought he would, trying to make it a real fight. It wasn't but that's not his fault. It was the fault of the people offering him that amount of money to ever be there.

What I do have an issue with is how Floyd handled himself on ESPN after the fight. Acting like he'd accomplished something special when everyone in the world not named Mayweather or McGregor recognized this was a sham. That was some so pathetic and sad that it was laughable. I also have an issue with him not fighting a real boxer to go to 50-0. Celebrating that "win" like it was meaningful showed me how delusional the guy really is. It's an empty win. Again, it was pathetic.

This is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3