Mayweather vs McGregor Pt II

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
KO'D arguably the pound for pound fighter at the time in 13 seconds and right before fought Chad Mendes on 2 weeks notice and never complained about it.... fought Eddie Alvarez who everyone said give Conor a wrestler and we all know how that worked out.You can hate on the guy but don't blame him for winning every fight that was put infront of him

A Mendes who wasn't in fight shape. At least Conor was preparing for another fighter.

Also Alvarez isn't a high level wrestler. Hes faced exactly one of those (Mendes) and when that happened, He got worked on the ground.

He deserves full credit for what he did in the feather weight division and you're right, you can only beat the guys they put in front of you. But the fact of the matter is that he's been bigger/longer than almost everyone he's ever faced and got to jump the front of the line at 155 - if that didn't happen, he doesn't sniff a title shot in that division.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
A Mendes who wasn't in fight shape. At least Conor was preparing for another fighter.

Also Alvarez isn't a high level wrestler. Hes faced exactly one of those (Mendes) and when that happened, He got worked on the ground.

He deserves full credit for what he did in the feather weight division and you're right, you can only beat the guys they put in front of you. But the fact of the matter is that he's been bigger/longer than almost everyone he's ever faced and got to jump the front of the line at 155 - if that didn't happen, he doesn't sniff a title shot in that division.

But then again how many fighters would accept a last minute opponent like that with a completely different skillset then Aldo? Alot of fighters like to say they will thrown down anytime anywhere but few back it up like Conor. I'm pretty convinced that a rematch between the 2 fighters who go pretty much the same way especially because we don't know what Chad is going to look like off the juice. I think the problem with people that don't like Conor is that they get so caught up in all of his antics that they forgot how skilled he is as a MMA fighter. If he fights Khabib and destroys him in the 1st round what are people going to say? That he should move to to 170 or 185lbs? lol

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

He got a jump to the front of the line because he's the most marketable star in the sport with Jones gone. The UFC is a business and he made himself the biggest headline name and now he's cashing in on it. Why be mad at a guy for capitalizing on an opportunity?

I don't know how you fault a guy for being physically superior to many of his opponents? Jones is bigger and longer than almost all light heavyweights - I don't see people discredit him for that?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Why? This is fighting. His job is to hype the fight and make people want to buy. He did that. This PPV broke records both in buys and gate.... Both fighters did this for the money and did what they had to do to maximize that... Ironic you call Conor unprofessional but no mention of Floyd - both are on the brink and that's what it takes to be a bad man in a combat sport. You have no be arrogant.

Neither guy really took any damage, but Conor gassed out. Not surprising given the fact it takes years to develop a competent 12 round fighter.

The boxer won the boxing match. It's not surprising but I don't know how you have anything negative to say about either guy. This is the fight the fans wanted and they made it. Floyd was more aggressive than in past fights and it was very entertaining. This was the first Floyd fight in a long time that was actually worth the money and lived up to the hype.

But he still says very unrealistic thinks and makes people believe them. Some of his words are way too much for me they don't have anything to do with reality and his trash talk is very one dimensional and boring. Floyd was very pofssional compared to Conor.

At least Conor had pretty nice black eye in the interview. Floyd's face look very clean. He didn't take more damage because referee came in at the right time, that was very good think.

Floyd was very entertaining. He had even much better punching power than Conor even the Notorious said other thinks.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
But he still says very unrealistic thinks and makes people believe them. Some of his words are way too much for me they don't have anything to do with reality and his trash talk is very one dimensional and boring. Floyd was very pofssional compared to Conor.

At least Conor had pretty nice black eye in the interview. Floyd's face look very clean. He didn't take more damage because referee came in at the right time, that was very good think.

Floyd was very entertaining. He had even much better punching power than Conor even the Notorious said other thinks.

Until the Floyd fight, he backed up every one of his words. He made (seemingly) outrageous claims and delivered. People laughed when he said he'd KO Aldo in the first round... then he went and did it. He has incredible belief in himself, he doesn't force anyone to believe anything.

His trash talk is very entertaining to most - that's a huge part of his rise to superstardom. Love him or hate him, you're gonna watch and listen. Him and Floyd are both masters of this.

Making it rain on strippers is an act of professionalism? What about putting hands on a female when you're a professional fighter? That's professional?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How's he an overrated MMA fighter? The only fight he lost so far in the UFC was against Nate who is bigger then him and then proceeded to beat him at 170lbs in a rematch? You could say that he's a one-dimensional MMA fighter that would probably be a better assessment altough he's one of the best at that particular discipline

You're going to use the excuse that Nate was bigger than Conor but then point out all the other fights he won? Nate is a gatekeeper at 155/170 at best, and he gave Conor the two toughest fights of his career. Conor has always been bigger than his opponents as well and most of them have been very good stylistic match ups for him. He ducked Frankie Edgar (with good reason, Edgar is tailor made to beat Conor) and I'd be very surprised if he ever fought Ferguson or Nurmagomedov (I'm fairly confident he'd lose to either).

He's an entertainer and the UFC's cash cow at the moment. He's a talented fighter but far from the pedestal that a lot of fight fans put him up on.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
You're going to use the excuse that Nate was bigger than Conor but then point out all the other fights he won? Nate is a gatekeeper at 155/170 at best, and he gave Conor the two toughest fights of his career. Conor has always been bigger than his opponents as well and most of them have been very good stylistic match ups for him. He ducked Frankie Edgar (with good reason, Edgar is tailor made to beat Conor) and I'd be very surprised if he ever fought Ferguson or Nurmagomedov (I'm fairly confident he'd lose to either).

He's an entertainer and the UFC's cash cow at the moment. He's a talented fighter but far from the pedestal that a lot of fight fans put him up on.

Nate might be gatekeeper but he can beat anybody on any given night because of his durability. Frankie was in line for a title shot against Conor but lost against a man that Conor knocked out in 13 seconds so if anything that's on Frankie. Ferguson I do agree would give Conor some trouble but then again you never know what to expect with 4 oz gloves. Khabib is a matchup nightmare for Conor but he's not reliable and fights very little. He might have ragdolled Micheal Johnson but I remember MJ tagging him early in the 1st round and I think we can safely assume if that was Conor's left hand Khabib would probably be sleeping. Regardless, I'm pretty sure we all know that Conor will not fight forever and probably only has a few fights left either in the UFC or boxing. Nate 3 makes the most sense money wise at this point

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yes it was very fun to see how Floyd totally humiliated him after all that talk.

Humiliated? :laugh: You can't be serious. Going 10 rounds with arguably the greatest of all time in your first professional fight is humiliating? Hook me up with your drug dealer, that's some crazy reality altering **** you're smoking.

He's not a boxer, he did this to quadruple his net worth in 1 night and succeeded. The guy went from welfare to the biggest prize fight in history within like 5 years. How could someone like that be humiliated losing to Floyd Mayweather for 100 million dollars?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Aldo is a similar stylistic nightmare for Frankie. Would have been a nice little triangle to see happen but Conor is smarter than that.

I love the Diaz bros but no, Nate wouldn't beat anyone on a given night. He doesn't have any real power or wrestling defence.

I do agree that McGregor is not much longer for the sport though. He's all about the money and he's made a ridiculous amount already.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Aldo is a similar stylistic nightmare for Frankie. Would have been a nice little triangle to see happen but Conor is smarter than that.

I love the Diaz bros but no, Nate wouldn't beat anyone on a given night. He doesn't have any real power or wrestling defence.

I do agree that McGregor is not much longer for the sport though. He's all about the money and he's made a ridiculous amount already.

i dont think you know what this means.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The early rounds were competitive though? Conor landed a few shots and won at least a round or two.. That's far more competitive than a lot of people thought. I referenced the "second round KO, mark my words" because it was a prediction earlier in the thread and as you said, no reasonable person ever believed that. This was a TKO win for Floyd almost assuredly. He wasn't going to knock him stiff.

The early rounds weren't competitive because of anything Conor was doing, it was simply Floyd taking a look at his opponent and getting into the fight. As he so often does. People like yourself want to give Conor credit for this for supposedly "hanging" with Floyd early and being competitive. Reality is pretty much anyone could hang with Floyd in those first couple of rounds because Floyd was asking zero questions.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The early rounds weren't competitive because of anything Conor was doing, it was simply Floyd taking a look at his opponent and getting into the fight. As he so often does. People like yourself want to give Conor credit for this for supposedly "hanging" with Floyd early and being competitive. Reality is pretty much anyone could hang with Floyd in those first couple of rounds because Floyd was asking zero questions.

I give credit to a guy for lasting 10 rounds in his first professional fight with arguably the best ever. Crazy, right? This was supposed to be a murder and it wasn't. He hit Floyd a lot more than a lot of people predicted and he deserves credit for that...

Your reality isn't reality, actually. Most non boxers aren't even going to look the slightest bit threatening in the ring. That uppercut in the first opened a lot of eyes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He got a jump to the front of the line because he's the most marketable star in the sport with Jones gone. The UFC is a business and he made himself the biggest headline name and now he's cashing in on it. Why be mad at a guy for capitalizing on an opportunity?

I don't know how you fault a guy for being physically superior to many of his opponents? Jones is bigger and longer than almost all light heavyweights - I don't see people discredit him for that?

The wow factor with Jones was that he was able to do what he was able to do while ******* off 95% of the time and rarely training seriously.

Now we know why he was able to do that.

I know exactly why Connor go to jump to the head of the line at 155. I dont agree with it or like it though his reign there will be short (he either loses the belt or retires after 1-2 fights), it shouldn't have happened at all.

La Masse said:
Nate might be gatekeeper but he can beat anybody on any given night because of his durability. Frankie was in line for a title shot against Conor but lost against a man that Conor knocked out in 13 seconds so if anything that's on Frankie. Ferguson I do agree would give Conor some trouble but then again you never know what to expect with 4 oz gloves. Khabib is a matchup nightmare for Conor but he's not reliable and fights very little. He might have ragdolled Micheal Johnson but I remember MJ tagging him early in the 1st round and I think we can safely assume if that was Conor's left hand Khabib would probably be sleeping. Regardless, I'm pretty sure we all know that Conor will not fight forever and probably only has a few fights left either in the UFC or boxing. Nate 3 makes the most sense money wise at this point

Yet he came back and won... Conor got wobbled by Diaz, how did that go for him?

If you're going to point to Johnson landing a shot on Khabib, Mendes worked Conor on the ground. The hell would Khabib do to Conor when he gets him there?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Going to be interesting to see where McGregor goes from here. He did the UFC a service by bringing so much global attention to himself.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I give credit to a guy for lasting 10 rounds in his first professional fight with arguably the best ever. Crazy, right? This was supposed to be a murder and it wasn't. He hit Floyd a lot more than a lot of people predicted and he deserves credit for that...

Your reality isn't reality, actually. Most non boxers aren't even going to look the slightest bit threatening in the ring. That uppercut in the first opened a lot of eyes.

It wasn't supposed to be a murder, Floyd doesn't murder people. It was supposed to be an easy win for Mayweather and it was, the fight was completely one sided.

He didn't look at threatening at all, there was not a moment in the fight that it looked like Floyd may lose. None.

Floyd hasn't KOd someone for a decade lol, he was never going to murder anyone. This was more aggressive than Floyd usually looks. Most people go the distance with him now. That doesn't mean they beat him,nor does it mean they were competitive.

Styles make fights, amazing how many people don't get this. People like yourself assume being dominated in Boxing must mean a destructive, powerful display, that isn't what Floyd does, he dominates in other ways.

I mean, congrats on not getting "murdered" by the 40 year old guy with brittle hands whose claim to fame is his defence who has one KO in his last 10 fights lol. But he still lost in a completely one sided fight, there was never anything competitive about it.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Until the Floyd fight, he backed up every one of his words. He made (seemingly) outrageous claims and delivered. People laughed when he said he'd KO Aldo in the first round... then he went and did it. He has incredible belief in himself, he doesn't force anyone to believe anything.

His trash talk is very entertaining to most - that's a huge part of his rise to superstardom. Love him or hate him, you're gonna watch and listen. Him and Floyd are both masters of this.

Making it rain on strippers is an act of professionalism? What about putting hands on a female when you're a professional fighter? That's professional?

No he didn't. He got his ass whooped by Nate Diaz. Yes got to give him some profit about knocking out Jose Aldo. But Aldo is far away from that guy he was 5 years ago. He definitely forces people to believe him more than anyone else in UFC. "Put every money you have on me"

I just can't see how it's entertaining that guy screams "FOOK YOU" for most of his talks. That was cool at age of 15. I'm too old for meaningless trash talk.

That was mistake by Mayweather when he was very high. He didn't punch or kick him, but can't accept that anyway. If there comes a day when Conor McGregor learns to respect other people, maybe he could earn some respect from me. At the moment it seems to be pretty unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Humiliated? :laugh: You can't be serious. Going 10 rounds with arguably the greatest of all time in your first professional fight is humiliating? Hook me up with your drug dealer, that's some crazy reality altering **** you're smoking.

He's not a boxer, he did this to quadruple his net worth in 1 night and succeeded. The guy went from welfare to the biggest prize fight in history within like 5 years. How could someone like that be humiliated losing to Floyd Mayweather for 100 million dollars?

Yes, exactly. Referee saved his ass from hospital. If fight would continue any longer they would need stretcher in the ring. He talk how he is going to knock his ass out in first round, raised his huge punching power, how it goes through the guard and can't even land one good shot. Also had huge disrespect about Floyd's punching power, "He has no chance to knock me out". Fact comes here he got knocked out by 40 years old man and referee saved his career. All that talk, 170 lbs weight and then he doesn't have any power behind his shots. What can i say? He got dominated.

Conor won only one round in the fight and people here acting like he did very well. I was expecting at least something after all that talk. Besides that he is amazing fighter and could be welterweight champion one day. His stand-up is second to none in UFC. I'm just one of his haters. He does his think and it seems to work fine as **** for the people. Nothing wrong with that. He has all what it takes to be best ever in MMA.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It wasn't supposed to be a murder, Floyd doesn't murder people. It was supposed to be an easy win for Mayweather and it was, the fight was completely one sided.
What the hell fight were you watching? McGregor beat Mayweather handily in at least the first three rounds. He just didn't have the stamina to last late into the match.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What the hell fight were you watching? McGregor beat Mayweather handily in at least the first three rounds. He just didn't have the stamina to last late into the match.

Mayweather wasn't trying to win the first three rounds. You can give McGregor the points, but I could have won those rounds with how Floyd was fighting. It was a very clear and deliberate plan to wear out McGregor and only take hard shots at the body when it was open.

Again, listen to his post fight conference. He explains what he was doing and what the plan was.

Most fighters that Floyd fights win a round or two simply because of his style, not because it's a competitive fight (unless you have a very lax definition of what 'competitive' is).

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Mayweather wasn't trying to win the first three rounds. You can give McGregor the points, but I could have won those rounds with how Floyd was fighting. It was a very clear and deliberate plan to wear out McGregor and only take hard shots at the body when it was open.

Again, listen to his post fight conference. He explains what he was doing and what the plan was.

Most fighters that Floyd fights win a round or two simply because of his style, not because it's a competitive fight (unless you have a very lax definition of what 'competitive' is).

100 % agree. He felt him out and let McGregor gas himself. Look at the landed punches for the first three rounds and it's hilarious how inaccurate Conor was and how much gas he burnt. He landed 26 punches on Floyd in 115 attempts. Floyd landed 12 punches in 28 attempts. All Conor did was look busy in the first three and accomplished jack. If you break it down to round 2 and 3 it looks even worse. Floyd landed 10 of 22 while Conor went 17 for 81.once he gauged conors stamina, lack of power and technique, he let loose his hands in the 4th and beyond throwing on average 30+ punches a round. Conor kept throwing but he is wildly inaccurate and had nothing on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00