Mayweather vs McGregor Pt II

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes he is selling fights, I just find he is over the top obnoxious when he doesn't need to be as we all know his skill level and pedigree at this point. He just seems like a more vulgar and less intelligent Chael sonnen with obviously much more skill within the octagon than Chael.

Muhammad Ali and Conors style of trash talk are night and day imo. Muhammad came out looking classy and not as disrespectful but people were more respectful in general back then.

Just my opinion. I fully understand why he does it. He just looks like a loser doing it which is sad due to his great skill set.

That's a fair criticism of the guy. The crazy part is that it works. So the more success he has, the more vulgar he gets.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's a fair criticism of the guy. The crazy part is that it works. So the more success he has, the more vulgar he gets.

The problem in the UFC is skill itself isn't a guarantee to make you money. Now skill and a cocky *****, that will for sure pay you.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yes he is selling fights, I just find he is over the top obnoxious when he doesn't need to be as we all know his skill level and pedigree at this point. He just seems like a more vulgar and less intelligent Chael sonnen with obviously much more skill within the octagon than Chael.

Muhammad Ali and Conors style of trash talk are night and day imo. Muhammad came out looking classy and not as disrespectful but people were more respectful in general back then.

Just my opinion. I fully understand why he does it. He just looks like a loser doing it which is sad due to his great skill set.

Ali certainly didn't look classy calling Fraser an Uncle Tom and a gorilla.

Your ability as a hype man will elevate your status as a fighter. That's just the way it is. A fighter who knows how to talk is captivating, hell, any great public speaker generates attention to themselves.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't imagine anyone that knows anything about boxing ever thought that McGregor had a chance.

It was a fun fight to watch though. Nice to see Mayweather walking someone down -- you don't see that every day. It was clear from the first round that Conor couldn't hurt Floyd, and Floyd was only going to the body. Thought he'd finish it by the 8th, and the ref definitely saved McGregor from further punishment.

People can say that McGregor landed whatever more punches than any other boxer...but that's because of the way Mayweather fought not because McGregor fought a great fight. McGregor is not a boxer, and he's an overrated MMA fighter. He's a fabulous entertainer.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't get the hate for McGregor. I'm not a UFC guy, or Boxing/MMA for that matter. But I have a ton of respect for the guy, he's pretty hard core and super entertaining.

His fans. This thread is a great example. I love Americans/Canadians acting like they were born and raised in Ireland, flying and repping the Tri Color.

Conor's fanbase has made him somewhat unbearable.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
His fans. This thread is a great example. I love Americans/Canadians acting like they were born and raised in Ireland, flying and repping the Tri Color.

Conor's fanbase has made him somewhat unbearable.

I don't let fans affect my views on a fighter. I hate Mayweather fans with a passion but I don't hate Floyd. Doesn't mean that I don't root against him in his fights.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't let fans affect my views on a fighters. I hate Mayweather fans with a passion but I don't hate Floyd. Doesn't mean that I don't root against him in his fights.

I don't hate Conor. He's an incredibly smart businessman who uses social media as a great platform to promote the MMA and himself - I can see why Dana White adores him.

His fans **** me off where they have me rooting against him, like you said for Floyd.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't imagine anyone that knows anything about boxing ever thought that McGregor had a chance.

It was a fun fight to watch though. Nice to see Mayweather walking someone down -- you don't see that every day. It was clear from the first round that Conor couldn't hurt Floyd, and Floyd was only going to the body. Thought he'd finish it by the 8th, and the ref definitely saved McGregor from further punishment.

People can say that McGregor landed whatever more punches than any other boxer...but that's because of the way Mayweather fought not because McGregor fought a great fight. McGregor is not a boxer, and he's an overrated MMA fighter. He's a fabulous entertainer.

My thoughts exactly.

Figured Floyd with TJO Conor sometime in the 7th to 8th rounds myself. Even in the UFC Conor has 1 3 round decision back in 2013 and beat Diaz in a 5 round decision last year. All of his other fights ended in the first or second rounds.

So, as long as Floyd didn't get arrogant and come out with the mindset of trying to knock Conor out in the first 3 rounds, he would wait for Conor to gas and then move in for the finish, which is exactly what he did.

Every round after the 3rd, Conor's chances to win diminished. No history that his cardio was going to hold up to Floyd in a 12 round bout.

If Conor had GSP's cardio, being able to go 5 full rounds in 8/9 of his last fights, with the long bout being a 4 rounder when BJ Penn didn't answer the 5th round, then Conor would have had a chance of beating Floyd in the middle rounds.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
He's selling fights.

Maybe, but he does it ridiculous way. He says ridiculous thinks like put every money you have for me in this fight. Also raised his huge punching power and how it goes through Mayweather guard. But the truth comes here, he was probably the weakest puncher Mayweather has faced in last 10 years :D

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Conor had the cardio to last Mayweather would have approached the fight differently. He knew exactly what he was doing. A lot of people only got into combat sports because of the UFC and even more recently because of McGregor. I hope some of them have now gone back to watch some of Mayweather's history; he's the most cerebral fighter in history and even though I was never his biggest fan you have to respect the hell out of his ability in that ring. For me only a prime RJJ is better all time (though I think Floyd's accomplishments are ultimately more impressive).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If Conor had the cardio to last Mayweather would have approached the fight differently. He knew exactly what he was doing. A lot of people only got into combat sports because of the UFC and even more recently because of McGregor. I hope some of them have now gone back to watch some of Mayweather's history; he's the most cerebral fighter in history and even though I was never his biggest fan you have to respect the hell out of his ability in that ring. For me only a prime RJJ is better all time (though I think Floyd's accomplishments are ultimately more impressive).

Loved watching him when he was good. Sucks to see him still trying to hang on now though...:laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Loved watching him when he was good. Sucks to see him still trying to hang on now though...:laugh:

You don't have to tell me. When he got KOed by Tarver was one of the saddest moments in sports for me. It's all been downhill from there. Still my favourite fighter of all time.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Maybe, but he does it ridiculous way. He says ridiculous thinks like put every money you have for me in this fight. Also raised his huge punching power and how it goes through Mayweather guard. But the truth comes here, he was probably the weakest puncher Mayweather has faced in last 10 years :D

How would your wisdomatic self suggest he sells fights? He's taken it to another level that nobody else has, so please enlighten me as to how he should have done it? You cannot step in the ring with arguably the greatest of all time, in their domain, without incredible self belief. You'd get destroyed.

Conor shut a lot of people up. He made a competitive fight for 7-8 rounds and not a lot of casual observers believed he could. Had people saying "Floyd by KO in the second round, mark my words" and made them look foolish. Max Kellerman, someone who I enjoy listening to, completely underestimated him as a boxing purist and now looks silly.

This fight went exactly how the informed crowd projected - Conor is so unorthodox that Floyd will take a few rounds to adjust and by 6-7 the elite boxer will take over. It was a great show, a great spectacle, and as a fan of both I feel fortunate to have seen it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There was no adjustment period. Floyd went in with a specific plan. McGregor's 'success' in the ring was all down to how Mayweather is as a fighter and not because he outdid expectations. Mayweather is not some knockout artist it was never going to be a 1st or 2nd round KO.

Watch the post fight from Mayweather (McGregor was a bit delusional I think in his assessment of the fight).

It was entertaining but it was hardly a competitive fight.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
How would your wisdomatic self suggest he sells fights? He's taken it to another level that nobody else has, so please enlighten me as to how he should have done it? You cannot step in the ring with arguably the greatest of all time, in their domain, without incredible self belief. You'd get destroyed.

Conor shut a lot of people up. He made a competitive fight for 7-8 rounds and not a lot of casual observers believed he could. Had people saying "Floyd by KO in the second round, mark my words" and made them look foolish. Max Kellerman, someone who I enjoy listening to, completely underestimated him as a boxing purist and now looks silly.

This fight went exactly how the informed crowd projected - Conor is so unorthodox that Floyd will take a few rounds to adjust and by 6-7 the elite boxer will take over. It was a great show, a great spectacle, and as a fan of both I feel fortunate to have seen it.

I don't care what he is doing. He talk way too much **** and got his ass totally whooped. "First round KO. Mark my words." He should give even little bit respect for other people and maybe he could earn some respect for me. But the way he is doing it, i just can't like him. He is very unprofessional and disrespectful for other people. Talk the talk and wak the walk. I don't like him as a person.

He didn't made competive fight. He didn't have any power behind his punches, they were very weak punches, Floyd didn't took any damage. Floyd didn't won by second round KO but he totally whooped McGregor ass. Referee saved his ass because it was starting to turn way too ugly. This was Floyd's first sparring session for month, so he definitely start it slow.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
There was no adjustment period. Floyd went in with a specific plan. McGregor's 'success' in the ring was all down to how Mayweather is as a fighter and not because he outdid expectations. Mayweather is not some knockout artist it was never going to be a 1st or 2nd round KO.

Watch the post fight from Mayweather (McGregor was a bit delusional I think in his assessment of the fight).

It was entertaining but it was hardly a competitive fight.
The early rounds were competitive though? Conor landed a few shots and won at least a round or two.. That's far more competitive than a lot of people thought. I referenced the "second round KO, mark my words" because it was a prediction earlier in the thread and as you said, no reasonable person ever believed that. This was a TKO win for Floyd almost assuredly. He wasn't going to knock him stiff.
I don't care what he is doing. He talk way too much **** and got his ass totally whooped. "First round KO. Mark my words." He should give even little bit respect for other people and maybe he could earn some respect for me. But the way he is doing it, i just can't like him. He is very unprofessional and disrespectful for other people.

He didn't made competive fight. He didn't have any power behind his punches, they were very weak punches, Floyd didn't took any damage. Floyd didn't won by second round KO but he totally whooped McGregor ass. Referee saved his ass because it was starting to turn way too ugly. This was Floyd's first sparring session for month, so he definitely start it slow.
Why? This is fighting. His job is to hype the fight and make people want to buy. He did that. This PPV broke records both in buys and gate.... Both fighters did this for the money and did what they had to do to maximize that... Ironic you call Conor unprofessional but no mention of Floyd - both are on the brink and that's what it takes to be a bad man in a combat sport. You have no be arrogant.

Neither guy really took any damage, but Conor gassed out. Not surprising given the fact it takes years to develop a competent 12 round fighter.

The boxer won the boxing match. It's not surprising but I don't know how you have anything negative to say about either guy. This is the fight the fans wanted and they made it. Floyd was more aggressive than in past fights and it was very entertaining. This was the first Floyd fight in a long time that was actually worth the money and lived up to the hype.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
If he didn't nobody would be watching and that fight never happens. I love the persona, I think it's fantastically entertaining. You just don't see that sort of swagger anymore, just made the whole thing more compelling

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec

How's he an overrated MMA fighter? The only fight he lost so far in the UFC was against Nate who is bigger then him and then proceeded to beat him at 170lbs in a rematch? You could say that he's a one-dimensional MMA fighter that would probably be a better assessment altough he's one of the best at that particular discipline

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I don't hate Conor. He's an incredibly smart businessman who uses social media as a great platform to promote the MMA and himself - I can see why Dana White adores him.

His fans **** me off where they have me rooting against him, like you said for Floyd.

You can pretty much say that about any big MMA star tho. Remember GSP back a few years ago? Khabib fans are pretty unbearable as well

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I don't care what he is doing. He talk way too much **** and got his ass totally whooped. "First round KO. Mark my words." He should give even little bit respect for other people and maybe he could earn some respect for me. But the way he is doing it, i just can't like him. He is very unprofessional and disrespectful for other people. Talk the talk and wak the walk. I don't like him as a person.

It's all part of the schtik. How can you not like a guy who fights as regularly as he does and like a boxer who beats up his wife:laugh:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
How's he an overrated MMA fighter? The only fight he lost so far in the UFC was against Nate who is bigger then him and then proceeded to beat him at 170lbs in a rematch? You could say that he's a one-dimensional MMA fighter that would probably be a better assessment altough he's one of the best at that particular discipline

Never defended a belt and beat up on guys who are smaller than him. As a fighter he is overrated.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

But you clearly do because it bothers you enough to rant about it and also watch his fights. That's why he's a marketing genius.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Never defended a belt and beat up on guys who are smaller than him. As a fighter he is overrated.

KO'D arguably the pound for pound fighter at the time in 13 seconds and right before fought Chad Mendes on 2 weeks notice and never complained about it.... fought Eddie Alvarez who everyone said give Conor a wrestler and we all know how that worked out.You can hate on the guy but don't blame him for winning every fight that was put infront of him

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Conor does what makes sense for Conor. Can't fault a guy for that considering the shelf life of peak fighters, and given the fact he started late and was literally on welfare a few years ago.

You're also overlooking what a jump it is from 145 to 170.

Both guys are great at their sport and even better at marketing their sport. Denying that is just being a hater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad