Value of: Matthews and Laine’s new contracts

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Somewhere between 12-14% of the total cap. That seems to be the magic number for truly elite players when they sign their contracts.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wishful thinking seems to be getting the bet of some folks.

Nether guy signs for a dime under 10 million. Matthews likely makes a bit more because centres are more valuable and rarer to draft and develop.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
It depends. If Matthews puts up 40 goals and 80 points next year I can't see him getting more than 10mill. If he has a massive 50 goal 90 point year then he's looking at 11 to 12.5.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
It depends. If Matthews puts up 40 goals and 80 points next year I can't see him getting more than 10mill. If he has a massive 50 goal 90 point year then he's looking at 11 to 12.5.
Matthews will sign this summer the first day it's allowed same as McDavid did.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Likely true. Leafs will try for 10 but go as high as 11 to avoid giving him the extra year to go out and put up monster numbers. Other than Malkin and Crosby who are recent 50 goal centers?

Edit: And Stamkos.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's funny that SO MANY think Matthews is better than Eichel and now he's going to take LESS money with the cap going up no less. This from a guy who played a year overseas to make some bucks as a kid.
Good luck with him anywhere at less than $10.5 x eight years. And that would really be a hometown discount.
Bigger issue for Leafs fans is does he want the eight-year deal or is he looking stateside eventually. Ontario residents face a top marginal rate of almost 53% -- pretty hefty next to places like Florida, Texas or Arizona (which is pretty low). He only keeps $4.68 Million of $10 M in Ontario. In Zona, he'd keep $5.6 M
Toronto is in the hole on taxes and is going to have to pony up for that too. I believe he says -- for major bucks.
Laine isn't a centre but c'mon he is the top goal scorer. He's in Winnipeg so nobody pays attention to same degree in Toronto media centre. His career numbers are better than Matthews. He's going to be close to that $10M.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's funny that SO MANY think Matthews is better than Eichel and now he's going to take LESS money with the cap going up no less. This from a guy who played a year overseas to make some bucks as a kid.
Good luck with him anywhere at less than $10.5 x eight years. And that would really be a hometown discount.
Bigger issue for Leafs fans is does he want the eight-year deal or is he looking stateside eventually. Ontario residents face a top marginal rate of almost 53% -- pretty hefty next to places like Florida, Texas or Arizona (which is pretty low). He only keeps $4.68 Million of $10 M in Ontario. In Zona, he'd keep $5.6 M
Toronto is in the hole on taxes and is going to have to pony up for that too. I believe he says -- for major bucks.
Laine isn't a centre but c'mon he is the top goal scorer. He's in Winnipeg so nobody pays attention to same degree in Toronto media centre. His career numbers are better than Matthews. He's going to be close to that $10M.
Let's just forget he'll make more off the ice in Toronto than any of the tax havens you mention.

Going over seas also wasn't purely about money. He was leaning towards going to the WHL but felt he had nothing to prove and would have to rush to skip a grade to be eligible for the NCAA (he was in grade 11 during his last USNTDP year).

J999

Oct 5, 2017
The good thing certainly with the Jets is those Scheifele& Ehlers contracts, they will help to balance whatever contract Laine ends up signing.
I agree. I see Laine signing at around 8.5M x 8

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He is living in Canada...4.68x1.25=5.85.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is living in Canada...4.68x1.25=5.85.
The other major thing lost here is that to live in high-end American suburbs that are desirable, the property taxes tend to be extremely high. This is due to less centralized government and downloading of costs to individual counties and municipalities.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He'll make endorsement money too.
Plus the Leafs need Matthews badly.
They are one of the most storied franchises in the history of the league and all kidding aside, it is good to see them being run properly again. It has been far too long. Good, smart owners that let management do there job. Great job by Shanahan and Co. A stronger Leafs team means a stronger league.
I grew up a Habs fan starting around 66 so I still hate the Leafs and probably always will. Ditto Philly and Boston but good to see they are being run properly and have a great future. Now, about that Habs' franchise...

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He'll make endorsement money too.
Plus the Leafs need Matthews badly.
They are one of the most storied franchises in the history of the league and all kidding aside, it is good to see them being run properly again. It has been far too long. Good, smart owners that let management do there job. Great job by Shanahan and Co. A stronger Leafs team means a stronger league.
I grew up a Habs fan starting around 66 so I still hate the Leafs and probably always will. Ditto Philly and Boston but good to see they are being run properly and have a great future. Now, about that Habs' franchise...
Already is. Rumored he's making close to a mil a year off of Scotia. At the very least he's making 7 figures over the life of his multi-year deal. But, it makes a lot of sense for Scotia to pay a fortune for Matthews considering they just paid 40 million a year (over 20 years) for the naming rights to the ACC and their big hockey star for marketing was traded outside the country (Subban).

Reactions: 10Ducky10

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He is living in Canada his 10 turns into 12.8 Canadian dollars before taxes

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Already is. Rumored he's making close to a mil a year off of Scotia. At the very least he's making 7 figures over the life of his multi-year deal. But, it makes a lot of sense for Scotia to pay a fortune for Matthews considering they just paid 40 million a year (over 20 years) for the naming rights to the ACC and their big hockey star for marketing was traded outside the country (Subban).

Got a Porsche too. Plus some of the lowest expectations ever, put together a few decent playoff runs and you'll be a legend in the city until you die. Clark is still basically Toronto royalty, hell even Domi is still somehow relevant.

Reactions: Mork

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Got a Porsche too. Plus some of the lowest expectations ever, put together a few decent playoff runs and you'll be a legend in the city until you die. Clark is still basically Toronto royalty, hell even Domi is still somehow relevant.
Most guys even average ones get deals on cars for promotion. Matthews has the best one I'm aware of, as that's like a $220,000, as I think they gave him a GT3 RS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mork

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs management will want him signed to an extension this July when they are allowed to start talking to him about it, since it's what Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel also did prior to their ELC finishing.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's even funnier you think all players get paid in relation to Eichel.

Your knowledge of taxes is also highly flawed. He is almost certainly a registered corporation using tax shelters and other vehicle to ensure he does not pay the amounts HF posters usually figure they do.

It's pretty obvious you have no clue what you are talking about, but your righteous indignation is amusing.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Bigger issue...in your head?

This whole post is just so poorly thought out.

Do you actually think that 1 million won't be covered by the ludicrous ad deals he's going to get in his carreer in TO?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
As someone in the know, McDavid makes close to 8 million in endorsements per year which is more then Crosby. He has CIBC, Adidas/CCM, Canadian Tire, Biosteel and GoAuto (35 dealership chain in Edmonton which pays him close to 2.5 a year alone)

Obviously McDavid is a bit different but depending on performance Matthews will certainly make a ton off of Endorsements if he goes hard on then like McDavid has.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As someone in the know, McDavid makes close to 8 million in endorsements per year which is more then Crosby. He has CIBC, Adidas/CCM, Canadian Tire, Biosteel and GoAuto (35 dealership chain in Edmonton which pays him close to 2.5 a year alone)

Obviously McDavid is a bit different but depending on performance Matthews will certainly make a ton off of Endorsements if he goes hard on then like McDavid has.
Yeah, playing in Canada, and being a Canadian prodigy helps McDavid. McDavid also has a Rogers deal.

Matthews is in a great position to cash in though. His popularity in Canada will rival McDavid (although he'll be more divisive). The Leafs area accounts for 1/4 of the Canadian population, and roughly 1/3 of the non-francophone population. I'm sure Rogers or Bell can justify giving Matthews the same deal they gave McDavid or about 90% of it, given his marketability in Canada's largest marketplace. It will be interesting because owners can give their own players deals that pass the "market test" in endorsements. I have no idea how the league figures it out though. McDavid is Canadian and an MVP, but he also plays in a market about 14% of Toronto, and while he has more national appeal, I'm not sure that covers the difference.

The other massive difference, McDavid could probably make that type of endorsement money in any Canadian market, Matthews can probably only make that much money in the Toronto market.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, playing in Canada, and being a Canadian prodigy helps McDavid. McDavid also has a Rogers deal.

Matthews is in a great position to cash in though. His popularity in Canada will rival McDavid (although he'll be more divisive). The Leafs area accounts for 1/4 of the Canadian population, and roughly 1/3 of the non-francophone population. I'm sure Rogers or Bell can justify giving Matthews the same deal they gave McDavid or about 90% of it, given his marketability in Canada's largest marketplace. It will be interesting because owners can give their own players deals that pass the "market test" in endorsements. I have no idea how the league figures it out though. McDavid is Canadian and an MVP, but he also plays in a market about 14% of Toronto, and while he has more national appeal, I'm not sure that covers the difference.

The other massive difference, McDavid could probably make that type of endorsement money in any Canadian market, Matthews can probably only make that much money in the Toronto market.
Since both Bell and Rogers both equally own the Leafs I can't see why Matthews couldn't get the same deal McDavid got with Rogers. So I guess the question is does Bell do something with Matthews to be different than McDavid and his deal with Rogers? Although at every Leafs press conference with Babcock is the Rogers logo and they might not like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00