Value of: Matthews and Laine’s new contracts

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
I do think some of the Jets fans will be hugely disapointed, based on their max 8M per year for Laine predictions. 9m x 8 years would be a discount..

Reactions: haveandare

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I do think some of the Jets fans will be hugely disapointed, based on their max 8M per year for Laine predictions. 9m x 8 years would be a discount..
I think a lot of Jet fans are hoping for some more Chevy magic like Scheifele/Ehelers. Laine is ahead of Ovi at the same age in goals. It’s hard to find a comparison for him. Do the Jets just hand him the blank Cheque like the Caps did with Ovi? Does Laine screw the team like Ovi and take 16.82% of the cap? Probably more to make it equivalent with the shorter term. It’s going to be interesting for sure.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
I think a lot of Jet fans are hoping for some more Chevy magic like Scheifele/Ehelers. Laine is ahead of Ovi at the same age in goals. It’s hard to find a comparison for him. Do the Jets just hand him the blank Cheque like the Caps did with Ovi? Does Laine screw the team like Ovi and take 16.82% of the cap? Probably more to make it equivalent with the shorter term. It’s going to be interesting for sure.

I think if Chevy has any kind of same numbers in mind than those Jets fans saying max 8m/year, 8 years is off the table.

You want one of the most promising goals scorers to ever play the game for all his prime years? Sorry, but your gonna have to pay for that and Ehlers/Scheifele are no way comparable, based on what they did and at what age, before they signed their contracts..

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
so if chevy does do the impossible and sign laine at 8X8 he will be considered up there with the likes of yzerman gm greatness!?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know Matthews personally, but why wouldn't he take both a maximum salary and all of the endorsements? Toronto isn't his home, so don't think the home-team ideology or argument is relevant here.

Reactions: TS Quint

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Matthews 10 mill x 8
Laine 9 mill x 8

I agree, those are likely salaries for both players. If anything maybe Laine will even get $8ish million. Chevy seems to get his guys on good deals (Ehlers, Scheifele, etc)

I know the cap is going up, and everyone keeps saying Matthews will get close to McDavid money, but why? Why should he get that much? He hasn't hit 100 points, hasn't won the trophies McDavid won so it's a reach for people to say he will get 11.5M to 12M per year. Not saying he won't win those in the future, but as of now he's a 40-goal, ~70 point man. Definitely should get paid like a franchise C, but not that much.

Matthews doesn't even have to sign this offseason, same with Laine. If Matthews was worried about shortchanging himself due to injury hed just wait until offseason 2019

I agree, I know most are assuming the long-term deals will be done one year prior to their ELC expiring because usually that's how it's done for top stars. If the Leafs can lock up their trio after this season it bodes well for them, just like you're saying because if Auston decides to wait it out until next year and ends up PPG with 50 goals, then uh oh! Same deal with Marner, what if he hits 30G, 70A next year?

So, it's in the Leafs advantage for them to have these guys locked up ASAP. Should be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Laine will come down to what he wants. If he is more interested in the money I don't think 8x8 is happening. If he is willing to let some of that go so that the team has more dollars to work with it's a possibility. Obviously being a RFA Winnipeg has a bit more control, but a 40+ goal guy on the open market in a couple of years would bring some serious money well above 8 x 8 or even 9 x 8.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can potentially see Chevy and Laine coming to an agreement where Laine takes slightly less than expected contract that takes him the fastest route to free agency.

Seems like a guy who wants to control his own destiny.

If not, he’ll get 10-11 million.

Reactions: MVPGoon

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I agree, I know most are assuming the long-term deals will be done one year prior to their ELC expiring because usually that's how it's done for top stars. If the Leafs can lock up their trio after this season it bodes well for them, just like you're saying because if Auston decides to wait it out until next year and ends up PPG with 50 goals, then uh oh! Same deal with Marner, what if he hits 30G, 70A next year?

So, it's in the Leafs advantage for them to have these guys locked up ASAP. Should be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Haha, 100 points? I’ll take my chances if I were Lou on Marner.

I’ll give him 6.5 million x 6 years.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Haha, 100 points? I’ll take my chances if I were Lou on Marner.

I’ll give him 6.5 million x 6 years.
Yeah, $6 - $6.5 sounds good for Marner & Nylander. Who knows, maybe they'll get $7 million.

But yeah, that's why management personnel along with other team personnel are paid the big bucks to try their best to anticipate most of this stuff. If they can sign these guys to good contracts on great term knowing they are BOUND to break out works out amazing for the team. But sometimes, it doesn't. Should be interesting.

Reactions: TS Quint

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
These offers just make MacKinnon's deal look all the more better when we have him for another 5 years after the season at 6.3 million.

will be easy to lock up our young guys if they at or below Mack's rate. We sign 2 of our PPG players for your 1.

I see Laine signing somewhere between Barkov and MacKinnon. Around 6 million. He should get less being a winger, but that is not reasonable to expect with the current cap. Same reason why Matthews likely will not sign for any less than 9million.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

Just, no. Barkov got 5.7million just a couple of years ago. Twice the player, and a center at that. Top 10 center in the league, Scheifele, signed for 6.125m.

9m for the team third line winger playing 15min a night would be stupidity beyond comprehension when top 10 centers are getting signed for almost half of that money. 9m for Matthews is also in no way a discount, just a reasonable deal. And that is him being pretty much up there with McDavid.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I don't know Matthews personally, but why wouldn't he take both a maximum salary and all of the endorsements? Toronto isn't his home, so don't think the home-team ideology or argument is relevant here.

You could make that argument for almost every player. Mackinnon and Scheifele aren't playing for their home teams yet both signed very reasonable long-term deals with their respective clubs.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Just, no. Barkov got 5.7million just a couple of years ago. Twice the player, and a center at that. Top 10 center in the league, Scheifele, signed for 6.125m.

9m for the team third line winger playing 15min a night would be stupidity beyond comprehension when top 10 centers are getting signed for almost half of that money. 9m for Matthews is also in no way a discount, just a reasonable deal. And that is him being pretty much up there with McDavid.

Altough Barkov is now better player at 22 than Laine is at 19, Laine has murdered Barkov, if we look at their first two seasons in the league, and again is no way comparable to Laine for what he did before he signed his contract..

You're gonna be in for a big suprise seeing this third liner get payed..

Reactions: Trilliann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad