Value of: Matthews and Laine’s new contracts

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I think they each end up somewhere around $10m x 8. There agents will use McDavid and Eichels contracts as comparables but I'm hoping (at least in Laines case) that he gets a little less so we can keep the group together

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To be fair that Eichel deal was awful.
Doesn’t matter to the agent, not when the cap is rising to $78-$80 million next season.

And their deals won’t kick in until 19-20 season when the cap hits $80 million.

GoGoSens

Oct 27, 2017
Giving Mathews or Laine 10 mil on there first contract is a horrible idea.

I hope the cba fixes these issues soon because players are g etting paid way too soon.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He is living in Canada his 10 turns into 12.8 Canadian dollars before taxes

Because every thing he buys isn't more expensive in Toronto by that exchange rate difference. There is a tax difference. Toronto housing is expensive. There is some endorsement money but it's not like Crosby is shut out of Canada because he played for the Penguins. He's been number one earner for years.
The bottom line is there is no bloody way he's taking less than Eichel just got. No way. I'll see you all on July 2 when his contract comes out. I'll bet on $10.5 x 8 -- and that's a discount for Leafs.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Because every thing he buys isn't more expensive in Toronto by that exchange rate difference. There is a tax difference. Toronto housing is expensive. There is some endorsement money but it's not like Crosby is shut out of Canada because he played for the Penguins. He's been number one earner for years.
The bottom line is there is no bloody way he's taking less than Eichel just got. No way. I'll see you all on July 2 when his contract comes out. I'll bet on $10.5 x 8 -- and that's a discount for Leafs.

Ya I’m sure the super rich care about the price of the house they can resell later. He should take less then Eichel he produces less but again I don’t care what he makes. I was pointing out the fact that after taxes plus exchange it’s almost a wash money wise.
The more he gets good for him.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Doesn’t matter to the agent, not when the cap is rising to $78-$80 million next season.

And their deals won’t kick in until 19-20 season when the cap hits $80 million.
Well it does though. The agent sits down presents the outlier while the team presents multiple players who are similar with more reasonable deals. That outlier gets thrown out pretty quick.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just, no. Barkov got 5.7million just a couple of years ago. Twice the player, and a center at that. Top 10 center in the league, Scheifele, signed for 6.125m.

9m for the team third line winger playing 15min a night would be stupidity beyond comprehension when top 10 centers are getting signed for almost half of that money. 9m for Matthews is also in no way a discount, just a reasonable deal. And that is him being pretty much up there with McDavid.

Barkov is a tremendous player and is clearly outplaying his contract atm, but cmon man, his stats prior to signing are no where close to Laine's.

Barkov from 2013-2016 ages 18-20 191 gp 52g 67a 0.62PPG. POs 6gp 2g 1a. Finished 16th in Calder and 6th in Selke
Laine from 2016-2018 ages 18-19 145 gp 79g 53a 0.91PPG. POs #s TBD. Finished 2nd in Calder, potential Rocket Richard trophy this year.

Laine still has areas for improvement, the turnovers and overall play without the puck has been up and down this year (at points he looks miles ahead of he was last year, other times he makes some very questionable plays), the last 1.5 months+ he's been really good though...his goal scoring numbers at his age is unprecedented in today's NHL. Not to mention if he rips it up in the playoffs it will only add value to his total contract.

Laine imo gets a % of Cap Hit between Tarasenko and Stamkos' 2nd deal which is between 10.27% and 11.66% of cap which at a 80M cap is 8.2M and 9.3M AAV.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I hope they both squeeze as much as they can get. And then ask another $500k on top, to push it into bad contract territory. And then coast till the last year of the contract when it's big money payday time again!

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
They are getting at least eichel contract and i can see Matthews asking close to McDavid since the cap is going up and the Media around him like to say he is as good or better than him .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad