GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The parallels with the Sharks are eerie. Core players are not showing up. One-dimensional players who can't adapt (look at Nylander's goal...that happens because everyone is expecting Matthews to shoot and he actually passes the puck...take a lesson!). Strong forwards and especially centers, but weak defensive depth. A Russian goaltender who can't make the important stops but also gets terrible goal support (seriously...the same pattern where the numbers and eye test strongly disagree).

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Matthews and the Leafs remind me of Ovechkin and the Caps way back when they just couldn't make it out if the second round. With the exception that Ovechkin actually managed to score in the playoffs too.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Leafs fans mental gymnastics to blame their failure, somehow, on Marleau and Thornton is really fascinating.
Just like always, no one of any real importance is to blame. Just like the Sharks should have blown it up in 2009 and 2014, the Leafs should have made big changes in 2020 and 2021 (and now).

However, Sharks fans were much of the same. I used to bring up Thornton's underwhelming numbers in games 5-7 of a series, and was generally criticized for tendentiousness...and have seen the same things with those who similarly criticize Marner.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What I meant was (and forgive me I'm exhausted)...Nylander scored a goal. Matthews had an assist while being injured. It's enough for someone to build a narrative that they need to "run it back". And from an executive POV, it's the easy thing to do.

Put another way...if the Leafs had lost in five, there are fewer narratives that could be spun
Matthews and Nylander have never been the problem.

You can't spend almost 40% of your cap space on Tavares, Marner and Rielly and expect to be a contender.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
As much as I wanted him to come here so badly back in 2019, I think the Sharks dodged a massive bullet by not signing Tavares.

Have to admit that JT's agent was great on marketing his free agency. Always thought whoever won that "sweepstakes" would over pay. I guess DW got jealous at losing JT, he went out and overpaid a couple of other players.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He's been feeling it all season long. Sometimes you've just got to let your singers sing, especially when they've got a voice like his.
I actually meant Zibanejad...

I had to have the PBP on for this game, but it's getting annoying how often they reference Burns's age. We get it; he is old for an NHLer. No need to constantly act like it's a miracle he's able to play.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I actually meant Zibanejad...

I had to have the PBP on for this game, but it's getting annoying how often they reference Burns's age. We get it; he is old for an NHLer. No need to constantly act like it's a miracle he's able to play.

I mean you have to forgive the announcers. They don't know what we know about Burns' longevity. And how he sucks the energy, IQ, and youth from the partner he plays with (like Dracula does).

RIP Simek and Ferraro's potential but boy do I love a good vampire story.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hertl is not having a great series

He's like Chris Osgood. Does very well in certain structures but is bad outside of that.
I've got to think Hertl is injured but then why hasn't Cassidy moved him down the lineup?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Dallas really has an absurdly stacked roster. I mean, their third line is Dadonov-Duchene-Seguin.

If DeBoer can't win a Cup with this team he never will.

Reactions: Chinaski89

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Dallas really has an absurdly stacked roster. I mean, their third line is Dadonov-Duchene-Seguin.

If DeBoer can't win a Cup with this team he never will.
He's got Matt Duchene laying out to block shots...

I feel like Las Vegas is struggling with Stankhoven because he's a right-handed shot.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's got Matt Duchene laying out to block shots...

I feel like Las Vegas is struggling with Stankhoven because he's a right-handed shot.
It's like a supercharged version of our 2016 team. Oettinger > Jones. Heiskanen > Burns. Tanev > Vlasic. Robertson > Thornton. Duchene > Marleau. Pavelski > Pavelski. Hintz > Couture. Stankoven > Donskoi. Johnston > Hertl. Seguin > Ward. etc

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
It's like a supercharged version of our 2016 team. Oettinger > Jones. Heiskanen > Burns. Tanev > Vlasic. Robertson > Thornton. Duchene > Marleau. Pavelski > Pavelski. Hintz > Couture. Stankoven > Donskoi. Johnston > Hertl. Seguin > Ward. etc
ridiculous comparisons. Dallas is better because of its depth, their 3rd line is worlds better than what we were rolling out there. you had it right then decided to make this post.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
ridiculous comparisons. Dallas is better because of its depth, their 3rd line is worlds better than what we were rolling out there. you had it right then decided to make this post.
Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad