Value of: Matthews and Laine’s new contracts

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yes. But the posts saying he will leave and sign somewhere else are totally not insecure posts. This site can be hilarious sometimes. Numerous people post baseless speculation that Matthews will sign somewhere else....so obviously the person that responds is being insecure. Hur durr gotta love that logic.

The people posting that don’t see the behind the scenes stuff, they are less exposed and just run with the “he has no personality” narrative. It’s all an artifact of their own imagination and wants, not anything else.

So smacking fools down is insecurity apparently, according to the fools.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I don't have a read on Cheveldayoff, he's another one of those quietly great GMs (yes, listening to scouts and being patient = great GM, that's the bar IMO) but not sure he has the stomach for giving Laine a giant contract. I can see him bridging before then offering the big money deal which is a good approach to ensure that he can match any Laine offer sheet ensuring 10+ years on Laine in Winnipeg.

I'm curious to how he handles Trouba this summer, should be a good litmus test for Laine's future. The Jets are such an under studied case study of how to operate in a cap system.

turbojets

Nov 22, 2017
The Golden Goat has Winnipeg's heart. 7 x 8.5 M. But he'll need Winnipeg to keep Scheif and Wheeels, along with Ehlers, so the Peg should try to sign all on longer terms.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't have a read on Cheveldayoff, he's another one of those quietly great GMs (yes, listening to scouts and being patient = great GM, that's the bar IMO) but not sure he has the stomach for giving Laine a giant contract. I can see him bridging before then offering the big money deal which is a good approach to ensure that he can match any Laine offer sheet ensuring 10+ years on Laine in Winnipeg.

I'm curious to how he handles Trouba this summer, should be a good litmus test for Laine's future. The Jets are such an under studied case study of how to operate in a cap system.

So he doesn't have the stomach to give him a giant contract now but will have in a few years when he gives up even a bigger contract?

Laine will get the max 8 years this summer, the money numbers are a ???.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
No chance Matthews nor Laine sign for under 10 million a year.

Just cause the Hawks over paid for their stars doesn’t mean other teams have to follow suit. I think anywhere between 8-10mil is reasonable and with most of those years being RFA years the price is also reduced a bit.

Both max terms Matthews at Drai’s dollar and Laine a bit less.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The people posting that don’t see the behind the scenes stuff, they are less exposed and just run with the “he has no personality” narrative. It’s all an artifact of their own imagination and wants, not anything else.

So smacking fools down is insecurity apparently, according to the fools.
Look at this video I found of Matthews meeting Leafs fans when he's not being followed by anyone from the Leafs filming him for their behind the scenes shows.

Reactions: wayerd

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Laine's getting at least 9m on a max contract, and that'd probably be a steal.

He would've gotten 40 goals had he played out the full season last year and he's hit it this year. The Jets would be smart to try to sign him this summer. Three consecutive 40 goal seasons all while on his ELC would absolutely kill them the following summer.

Draisaitl's contract has set the floor for Laine. Goal scoring has been and will always be an expensive premium in the NHL. Laine can score goals and a crap ton of it.

I dunno about that. Drai had more points and the best PPG in the playoffs. I can see Laine asking and getting 9 though.

I agree they need to sign him asap like McDavid was.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Guess what, most NHL stars are like that (Willing to sign for fans) even McDavid signing multiple things for obvious scumbag resellers.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I dunno about that. Drai had more points and the best PPG in the playoffs. I can see Laine asking and getting 9 though.

I agree they need to sign him asap like McDavid was.

Laine has absolutely destroyed Drai's stats on his +1 and +2 seasons.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes he has for sure, Drai didnt really pick up until half way through second season.

Drai's contract is really based on 1 season and potential. Laine already has 2 elite seasons for a young player in this league and he has a real shot at Rocket.

He's a must sign this offseason and I believe it will be done as soon as possible.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Ovechkin deal in 2018 would be 13million. Not sure how happy WPG would be.
They should be happy that they got incredibly lucky with signing Scheifele early.

The guy probably left 25-30 million on the table if he had negotiated the deal today.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Laine should use the Eichel/Drai contracts as a base for what he should get. 4o goal season in his second year I doubt he'll take much of a discount.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Neither should take anything less than Eichel if their agents are half decent at their job (assuming the term is 8 years).
Probably true, but the argument could be made Eichel forced the Sabres into a "bad team" premium.

I doubt Leafs knock down Matthews price too much from that though. Only thing that is on the Leafs side is outside of potentially the Rangers, their is no other market that even approaches what he can make off-the-ice and that is magnified if he wins big here (which is partially accomplished by him not asking for the moon). Either way, Pat Brisson is going to be a busy man on July 1st (not that he isn't every year), he'll set the UFA market with the Tavares deal and then has Matthews deal to figure out.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
IMO it will only be that low with 4-5year term. 10x8 is a great deal for WPG.
So let me get Into this : the future offensive drivers of the Winnipeg jets are Scheifele around 6m Ehlers around 6 m and Laine around 10-11? You think he Will take 4-5 m more then those 2 each year??? Nope...Laine he wants to win.. he Will get between 8-9 I garantee you that ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad