Value of: Matthews and Laine’s new contracts

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Even though Matthews has be a pretty big disappointment this season. My bet is he still gets overpaid..somewhere between 8-9 million for both Laine and Matthews is my prediction.

People say Matthews will get 10 million plus are just out to lunch. Guy is not top 60 in scoring. That would be worst contract in Nhl territory. Cant see Lou doing that.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Even though Matthews has be a pretty big disappointment this season. My bet is he still gets overpaid..somewhere between 8-9 million for both Laine and Matthews is my prediction.

People say Matthews will get 10 million plus are just out to lunch. Guy is not top 60 in scoring. That would be worst contract in Nhl territory. Cant see Lou doing that.
Why is he a disappointment? Because he got injured? Isn't his PPG and GPG higher than last year? Did anyone expect him to be a PPG player? If you did you have not watched him. He is a good goal scorer and underwhelming playmaker. His assist count will never be that high and that is fine.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
for example since coming into the league Laine has missed more regular season NHL games than Matthews. 16-14 very likely Matthews overtakes but still, what a **** narrative to try and peddle now against matthews

Thats not true. Coming into this season yes, but after this season, no, not even close.

2016/17
Matthews - 82 gms played (0 missed)
Laine - 72 gms played (9 missed)

2017/18
Matthews - 64 gms played - (18 gms missed) sounds like he will miss the next 2 at least, maybe more
Laine - 82 gms played

Career
Matthews - 18 games missed
Laine - 9 games missed

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Thats not true. Coming into this season yes, but after this season, no, not even close.

2016/17
Matthews - 82 gms played (0 missed)
Laine - 72 gms played (9 missed)

2017/18
Matthews - 64 gms played - (18 gms missed) sounds like he will miss the next 2 at least, maybe more
Laine - 82 gms played

Career
Matthews - 18 games missed
Laine - 9 games missed

yes if you continue reading in this thread you will find my post where I worked out my math was wrong.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oh, I'm not going to read a 13 page thread, but I'l trust you on that.

I was reading his stats games played but I crossed up the years so I saw 66 games mistook it for last season and therefore 16 games short of 82, but obviously I was reading this year at the time he had played 66

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

Is this a troll post? Well, if it is, I'll bite.

Matthews has 28+22 = 50 in 53 games. All this with only 6 PIM and +/- of 23 (think what you want about that stat). If that's disappointing, I assume you get disappointed a lot.

If I were the Leafs GM, I'd gladly sign him for $10M x 8yrs and the only thing I'd be concerned about would be injuries. The guy is a monster.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Is this a troll post? Well, if it is, I'll bite.

Matthews has 28+22 = 50 in 53 games. All this with only 6 PIM and +/- of 23 (think what you want about that stat). If that's disappointing, I assume you get disappointed a lot.

If I were the Leafs GM, I'd gladly sign him for $10M x 8yrs and the only thing I'd be concerned about would be injuries. The guy is a monster.

So your saying he is soft?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You don’t have to look far in the “Laine Matthews kick off the season” or Matthews rated 8th” threads to find posters talking about not trading Matthews for McDavid or Matthews will hit 80-100 points. But keep those mental gymnastics going.

Reactions: THall4

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Barkov's $ 35,4 M for 6 years seems like a steal...$5,9M cap hit. I think he is one of the Matthews comparables.
Except Florida tax rate give them flexibility to sign a player like Barkov for so cheap. Toronto doesn't have the luxury.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You don’t have to look far in the “Laine Matthews kick off the season” or Matthews rated 8th” threads to find posters talking about not trading Matthews for McDavid or Matthews will hit 80-100 points. But keep those mental gymnastics going.

Still wouldn’t trade him, but I wasn’t expecting him to be ppg, nor would I use the word large to describe the number of posters.

Try not to generalize so much.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Still wouldn’t trade him, but I wasn’t expecting him to be ppg, nor would I use the word large to describe the number of posters.

Try not to generalize so much.
Learn to read and don’t be so arrogant when you don’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad