Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I suspect he splits time with jets and moose. Mentor for youngins. No nhl experience on moose otherwise. Perhaps jets sign another vet for moose as well.

Anyone know how many NHL games moose roster has right now?

Hendricks 521
Petan 80
Tanev 54
Sgarbossa 48
Connor 20
Roslovic 1
=== ^ three of those will be on the Jets
Hutchinson 99
Cormier 52
Melchiori 30
Sutter 12
Nogier 10
Lipon 9
Robinson 7
Schilling 6
De Leo 2
Comrie 1

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Is that a concern? Jets don't seem to care if Moose win or lose. If they did, wouldn't good AHL vet players fill the leadership/mentor role better than guys who were never much good in the NHL? I'm thinking Jason Jaffray types, career AHL'ers .... but good ones.

Hope you're right. Thought Chevy would have learned last year that it isn't necessary to sign bad NHL players to 1 way contracts to fill out the Moose.

Time will tell.

So is moose for developing NHL players? Seems this is main reason for moving team to wpg.

I would think some hybrid strategy works best. At least get team to playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So is moose for developing NHL players? Seems this is main reason for moving team to wpg.

I would think some hybrid strategy works best. At least get team to playoffs.

I believe our prospects would develop better in a winning atmosphere. TNSE doesn't appear to agree.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Moose additions:

Niku
Poolman
Green
Harkins
Spacek
Appleton

Hutchinson*
Hendricks*
Sgarbossa*
Schilling*
Robinson*
Sutter*
Gotovets

Moose returning players:

Roslovic*
Nogier*
De Leo*
Petan*
Lipon*
Comrie*
Melchiori*
Cormier*
Lemieux
Desalvo
Czuczman
Stoykewych
Lodge
Kostalek
Kramer
Phillips

The Moose are going to have their best year since the last decade.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I believe our prospects would develop better in a winning atmosphere. TNSE doesn't appear to agree.

Better for young players to develop by playing a ton in key situations, even if the team doesn't win as much. That's exactly what Zinger is quoted as saying. Are you concerned that Connor or Roslovic were stunted by playing on a poor team last year? What about Morrissey the season before?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Better for young players to develop by playing a ton in key situations, even if the team doesn't win as much. That's exactly what Zinger is quoted as saying. Are you concerned that Connor or Roslovic were stunted by playing on a poor team last year? What about Morrissey the season before?

There is no reason not to have both. The Moose have had players who are not NHL prospects and have played them. They have just not been good enough. Example: We used to have Jason Jaffray. Now we have Patrice Cormier.

No, I'm not concerned that those players were stunted. If they were, how would we know? It isn't a big issue but it is an issue.

The Moose don't need to be bad in order to develop young players.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Thought Chevy would have learned last year that it isn't necessary to sign bad NHL players to 1 way contracts to fill out the Moose.

Time will tell.
He's probably still going to be evaluating that approach for another 4 years. No need to be hasty; it's only a results driven job in the other 30 organizations.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There is no reason not to have both. The Moose have had players who are not NHL prospects and have played them. They have just not been good enough. Example: We used to have Jason Jaffray. Now we have Patrice Cormier.

No, I'm not concerned that those players were stunted. If they were, how would we know? It isn't a big issue but it is an issue.

The Moose don't need to be bad in order to develop young players.

Jaffray was trying to earn a spot in the NHL just like everyone else and when the dream died went to play in Europe. Whenever people talk about obtaining a vet presence on the Moose I'm curious who they want. When we signed Strait, a vet with years of NHL experience that was a deep depth player on the Moose there was outrage. Hendricks also likely has time on the Moose, but no one is happy about it. Who are these players that are good, but happy to be on the Moose playing supporting roles to prospects. Not playing in key situations or taking up valuable PP time. Since one way contracts seem to upset people they need to be doing this on a 2 way salary so they don't make too much money. Wouldn't it make much more sense for this type of player to go to Europe and play somewhere like the Swiss league for as much or more money. Play a fraction of the games with a real nice quality of life.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jaffray was trying to earn a spot in the NHL just like everyone else and when the dream died went to play in Europe. Whenever people talk about obtaining a vet presence on the Moose I'm curious who they want. When we signed Strait, a vet with years of NHL experience that was a deep depth player on the Moose there was outrage. Hendricks also likely has time on the Moose, but no one is happy about it. Who are these players that are good, but happy to be on the Moose playing supporting roles to prospects. Not playing in key situations or taking up valuable PP time. Since one way contracts seem to upset people they need to be doing this on a 2 way salary so they don't make too much money. Wouldn't it make much more sense for this type of player to go to Europe and play somewhere like the Swiss league for as much or more money. Play a fraction of the games with a real nice quality of life.

Jaffray was 34 when he went to Europe because the Jets/Moose did not offer him another contract. His NHL dream had been over for years. He was being paid something in the ballpark of 250k, typical for top level, AHL only players.

The outrage over Strait was twofold. 1) He was just bad. There were better AHL only level players available. I don't know specifics, like who but there always are those. Always. Good players with a flaw that keeps them out of the NHL. 2) The NHL contract. Not only an NHL contract but 1 way no less.

How much do you think those players make in Europe? Do you know what Jaffray has been getting? How much does O'Dell get?

We should have kept Czuczman - he signed with the Pens, 2 way, 650k NHL, 125k AHL. We should have kept Dan DeSalvo. He went to Hartford on an AHL contract.

When TNSE decided they wanted to compete in the AHL they didn't seem to have much trouble finding Samson, Gordon, Mouillierat. They all play in Europe now but they are the type of player I'm thinking of. Hendricks is not at that level.

We don't need to have too many of them either. Just a few scattered through the lineup. It isn't that the Moose don't have any players in those roles. It is that the ones we have are not good enough. Can't compete with Euro leagues for these players? What are all the other AHL teams doing?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jaffray was 34 when he went to Europe because the Jets/Moose did not offer him another contract. His NHL dream had been over for years. He was being paid something in the ballpark of 250k, typical for top level, AHL only players.

The outrage over Strait was twofold. 1) He was just bad. There were better AHL only level players available. I don't know specifics, like who but there always are those. Always. Good players with a flaw that keeps them out of the NHL. 2) The NHL contract. Not only an NHL contract but 1 way no less.

How much do you think those players make in Europe? Do you know what Jaffray has been getting? How much does O'Dell get?

We should have kept Czuczman - he signed with the Pens, 2 way, 650k NHL, 125k AHL. We should have kept Dan DeSalvo. He went to Hartford on an AHL contract.

When TNSE decided they wanted to compete in the AHL they didn't seem to have much trouble finding Samson, Gordon, Mouillierat. They all play in Europe now but they are the type of player I'm thinking of. Hendricks is not at that level.

We don't need to have too many of them either. Just a few scattered through the lineup. It isn't that the Moose don't have any players in those roles. It is that the ones we have are not good enough. Can't compete with Euro leagues for these players? What are all the other AHL teams doing?

The Moose will be just fine as the just below NHL level prospects develop. Some will be kept on as vets and some will pursue other opportunities. Not winning doesn't mean players aren't developing well. Strait was fine as a #11 depth guy on the Moose. Reports I heard he was good with the kids. I think you also see Sgarbossa play for the Moose this season as Howden did last season. Hendricks maybe getting a little long in the tooth with his best days behind him, but to say he is not at Moose depth level is wrong IMO.

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Moose additions:

Niku
Poolman
Green
Harkins
Spacek
Appleton

Hutchinson*
Hendricks*
Sgarbossa*
Schilling*
Robinson*
Sutter*
Gotovets

Moose returning players:

Roslovic*
Nogier*
De Leo*
Petan*
Lipon*
Comrie*
Melchiori*
Cormier*
Lemieux
Desalvo
Czuczman
Stoykewych
Lodge
Kostalek
Kramer
Phillips

The Moose are going to have their best year since the last decade.

Minus Czuczman (Pittsburgh/WBS) and DeSalvo (Hartford) :(.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Moose will be just fine as the just below NHL level prospects develop. Some will be kept on as vets and some will pursue other opportunities. Not winning doesn't mean players aren't developing well. Strait was fine as a #11 depth guy on the Moose. Reports I heard he was good with the kids. I think you also see Sgarbossa play for the Moose this season as Howden did last season. Hendricks maybe getting a little long in the tooth with his best days behind him, but to say he is not at Moose depth level is wrong IMO.

Hope you're right. I don't see them being much better than last year but the D should be better. We'll see how much improvement that makes.

Your opinion of Hendricks is higher than mine. Maybe if he was about 8 years younger .... Again, we'll see. I just hope he doesn't see any more NHL ice time than Strait did.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Oddly enough, I was at games last season where the Moose's top PP unit included Cormier and Peluso! I honestly didn't know what the hell was going on. Strait got a lot of PP time as well. :dunno:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oddly enough, I was at games last season where the Moose's top PP unit included Cormier and Peluso! I honestly didn't know what the hell was going on. Strait got a lot of PP time as well. :dunno:

My question was whether the development of Roslovic, Connor and Morrissey was hampered by usage on the Moose. Your thoughts?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
My question was whether the development of Roslovic, Connor and Morrissey was hampered by usage on the Moose. Your thoughts?

Since we only know the current level of those players and not the level they would be if they developed on a winning team, your question is a pedantic rhetorical. Do you think the development of Taylor Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Eberle or Yakupov was hampered by playing on the 2011-2015 Oilers? Who knows. Probably.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Since we only know the current level of those players and not the level they would be if they developed on a winning team, your question is a pedantic rhetorical. Do you think the development of Taylor Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Eberle or Yakupov was hampered by playing on the 2011-2015 Oilers? Who knows. Probably.

Not at all. I didn't pose the hypothesis that playing a big role on a losing AHL team hampered development. The onus is on those who believe this to provide the evidence. Citing a different development model (i.e. early transition to a poor NHL team) is a bit of a tangential analogy.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

Citing the Oilers over that time period is hardly a good comparison to be used here. Clearly having a rudderless team for a stretch of 5 years is not going to be good when the young players are being relied on to be the leaders and they do not know how or are not capable of it. Spending one year in the minors as one of the key players on an AHL team gives a player a great chance to grow and develop. Will it work for all players, probably not. But for the players that can thrive in that setting it can be a great thing. It certainly has not appeared to harm the development of players like Morrissey and Connor given how well they responded to playing there over the past two years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not at all. I didn't pose the hypothesis that playing a big role on a losing AHL team hampered development. The onus is on those who believe this to provide the evidence. Citing a different development model (i.e. early transition to a poor NHL team) is a bit of a tangential analogy.

Which would more likely be better, playing a big role on a losing AHL team or playing the identical role on a winning AHL team? Just guess at the probabilities.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
No one was giving praise to the St.Johns Icecaps that won the division in 2011/12. The young players on that team were Machacek,Postma,Klingberg,Cormier, and O'Dell to name some notables. The Norfolk Admirals of the same year did produce a lot of NHL talent and won the championship. The Worcester Sharks probably developed more NHL talent then the Icecaps did and they were the worst team in the AHL that year.

I think what matters is the talent you send there and not the results of the team when it comes to developing players

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

This assumes that it was TNSE who decided to part ways with those players. Perhaps they did, but perhaps it was those players who looked elsewhere for a better opportunity.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Which would more likely be better, playing a big role on a losing AHL team or playing the identical role on a winning AHL team? Just guess at the probabilities.

Winning AHL teams usually rely on veterans in key roles. That was Zinger's point when he said that if you give an AHL coach a bunch of strong vets, his competitive instinct will be to use the vets instead of the young prospects in critical roles.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Winning AHL teams usually rely on veterans in key roles. That was Zinger's point when he said that if you give an AHL coach a bunch of strong vets, his competitive instinct will be to use the vets instead of the young prospects in critical roles.

Which instincts were the Moose relying on when they gave Peluso and Strait regular shifts on the power play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad