Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Forwards >50GP, least EVTOI/GP:
1 Boll 05:46
2 Thorburn 06:19
3 Tootoo 06:43
4 McLeod 07:03
5 Neil 07:31
6-8 S.Thornton/L.Shaw/Martin
9 Petan 08:41
10-18 Skille/Kuhnhackl/D.Miller/Reaves/Fehr/J.Hayes/Gaunce/Ott/Martinsen
19 Tanev 08:59

Forwards >50GP, least TOI/GP:
1 Boll 05:48
2 Tootoo 06:44
3 Thorburn 06:58
4 McLeod 07:09
5 Neil 07:34
25 Tanev 10:40
33 Petan 10:54

Most EVTOI/GP:
1 P.Kane
2 McDavid
3 Scheifele
19 Wheeler
40 Laine

Most TOI/GP:
1-3 O'Reilly/P.Kane/Kesler
9 Scheifele
11 Wheeler

Thanks.

With 3 in the bottom 19 that seems to support below avg. 4th line TOI, 5v5.

By itself that may not be all that significant but in the context of the bottom 6 that we could have I think it is.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually I'd argue TOI not EV TOI is a better indicator of ice time. Since no matter what the situation a player is getting ice time. For example if you go TOI Petan jumps up quite a bit because he got far more PP time than most "4th liners". PP time is actually optimal usage to enhance production. So Maurice in that light actually favoured skill over "character".

Also 50 games is a pretty high threshold for 4th line player. I was trying to capture guys that were in and out of the line up, but not the 1-2 game call up guys. But interestingly if you raise the threshold 5 games higher to 55 now the Jets only have 1 player in the bottom 40.

It is all pretty arbitrary as there are a lot of players from all teams in a pretty tight band in this type of usage.

Your data is true and correct. So is MC's. Different parts of the picture of how Mau uses his 4th line/bottom 6.

I think Petan is the exception though. Thorburn is more typical. We still need to compare what he does with what he could do with the material he is given.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Imagine after giving up all that we did at the draft to "keep this roster together", if we start the season with a 4th line of:

Matthias-Hendricks-Tanev

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Your data is true and correct. So is MC's. Different parts of the picture of how Mau uses his 4th line/bottom 6.

I think Petan is the exception though. Thorburn is more typical. We still need to compare what he does with what he could do with the material he is given.

This is a good point. Playing around with the numbers the one thing that comes through IMO is the skill level on a team has the biggest impact on ice time distribution. Using Maurice as a starting point the 1st year he joined the Jets (13-14) we had 5 players under 10 TOI (Peluso, Wright, Tangradi, O'Dell Thorburn), with min 20 games played. The following year we had 4 while making the playoffs. 15-16 we had 3 as we introduced a lot of talented rookies and last year we only had 1 as we added even more talented young players. Our team success fell off, but we had more skilled players. The exact opposite has happened in Chicago. A few years back when they were the most dominant team in hockey they had a much closer distribution of ice time. After Kane's and Toews $10.5 M deals kicked in and they were forced to shed a lot of skill to stay within the cap they went the opposite direction. Not only did they start having more players with less than 10 mins TOI, both Kane's and Toews minutes started to rise significantly. They no longer had the talent necessary to distribute ice time.

So IMO we will see if Maurice is really a dinosaur or not this season. If we move towards more equal distribution with more skill or does he hold the line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is a good point. Playing around with the numbers the one thing that comes through IMO is the skill level on a team has the biggest impact on ice time distribution. Using Maurice as a starting point the 1st year he joined the Jets (13-14) we had 5 players under 10 TOI (Peluso, Wright, Tangradi, O'Dell Thorburn), with min 20 games played. The following year we had 4 while making the playoffs. 15-16 we had 3 as we introduced a lot of talented rookies and last year we only had 1 as we added even more talented young players. Our team success fell off, but we had more skilled players. The exact opposite has happened in Chicago. A few years back when they were the most dominant team in hockey they had a much closer distribution of ice time. After Kane's and Toews $10.5 M deals kicked in and they were forced to shed a lot of skill to stay within the cap they went the opposite direction. Not only did they start having more players with less than 10 mins TOI, both Kane's and Toews minutes started to rise significantly. They no longer had the talent necessary to distribute ice time.

So IMO we will see if Maurice is really a dinosaur or not this season. If we move towards more equal distribution with more skill or does he hold the line.

Yes, we will see. The Hendricks signing gives him the opportunity to go wrong. Doesn't make it inevitable. I don't know if we have seen the real Maurice yet, or not. Time will tell. :)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Imagine after giving up all that we did at the draft to "keep this roster together", if we start the season with a 4th line of:

Matthias-Hendricks-Tanev

I think the best way of dealing with this situation is pretend those players are on the Moose second line, and replace them with a skilled Petan-Roslovic-Dano line.

If that fails, buy a bottle of Grey Goose and get corked.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
1dv09e.jpg

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets would have been better off bringing Jim Slater back if they were so inclined to sign old timer Hendricks (who is all but done as a player)

Slater is two years younger and probably still a better player!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
.... but the dressing room has been quiet for 2 seasons.
Thought Thorburn was the dressing room guy...
Both Wheeler and Matty have eluded to this quiet dressing room.
Maybe Maurice did have input.
Who knows for sure but the possibility that Hendricks starts is certainly there.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
.... but the dressing room has been quiet for 2 seasons.
Thought Thorburn was the dressing room guy...
Both Wheeler and Matty have eluded to this quiet dressing room.
Maybe Maurice did have input.
Who knows for sure but the possibility that Hendricks starts is certainly there.

I have a question. Why is a quiet room a problem?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I have a question. Why is a quiet room a problem?

Well, when things are going well then it probably isn't a problem. If everything is clicking and nothing needs to be said, then it wouldn't matter.

I think there's a context implied in Wheeler's comment - that being that when something needs to the said, sometimes the room is getting quiet. If it's the same voice piping up all the time, it can rub the wrong way. Wheeler even mentioned that he has trouble holding back, bottling it in – but he knows he needs to sometimes. Having several different voices that can chime in from time-to-time is important.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Well, when things are going well then it probably isn't a problem. If everything is clicking and nothing needs to be said, then it wouldn't matter.

I think there's a context implied in Wheeler's comment - that being that when something needs to the said, sometimes the room is getting quiet. If it's the same voice piping up all the time, it can rub the wrong way. Wheeler even mentioned that he has trouble holding back, bottling it in – but he knows he needs to sometimes. Having several different voices that can chime in from time-to-time is important.

I agree that that is what Wheeler was likely implying. Your response was what I was trying to evoke. :thumbu:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Could also be that sometimes things need to be said that some of the "leaders" need to hear (*cough*.... Buff.... *cough*).

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
All this panic over a possible 4th line player is rather amusing. If the Jets make the playoff or not will have nothing to do with Hendricks playing or not. It will always come down to goaltending. League average or better we are in if we put up bottom of the league goaltending numbers like last year we are not in. Hendricks is a side show, he is not the make or break player for the Jets.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
All this panic over a possible 4th line player is rather amusing. If the Jets make the playoff or not will have nothing to do with Hendricks playing or not. It will always come down to goaltending. League average or better we are in if we put up bottom of the league goaltending numbers like last year we are not in. Hendricks is a side show, he is not the make or break player for the Jets.

I don't see panic in the posts at all.
I'm seeing indifference and incredulity.
And your correct Hendricks will likely have little to no effect, so why waste the spot and the salary for one year.
It's a discussion board and there's all kinds of differing takes.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
PoMo's MO has been pretty well established here over the last 3 seasons. His 4th line gets very low minutes and consists of special teams and grit role players. He has his bag-skating "man camp" so the top 9 is ready to play lots of minutes. I think there's enough depth to try it another way this year with 3 skill lines and a Lowry-centred shutdown 4th, but with the Hendricks signing and PoMo's history I don't expect to see that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
PoMo's MO has been pretty well established here over the last 3 seasons. His 4th line gets very low minutes and consists of special teams and grit role players. He has his bag-skating "man camp" so the top 9 is ready to play lots of minutes. I think there's enough depth to try it another way this year with 3 skill lines and a Lowry-centred shutdown 4th, but with the Hendricks signing and PoMo's history I don't expect to see that.

I suspect you are right.

IMO, considering the available options, a Hendricks-centred 4th line of "special teams and grit role players" should get Maurice fired. But since Chevy signed Hendricks .......

That kind of 4th line has a trickle up effect. It means that we will have a shutdown 3rd line that should be the 4th line. It means that, even though we have the talent to have one of the best bottom 6's in the league we will instead have one of the worst. :shakehead

I try to forget about Hendricks and just hope he spends the whole year in the AHL or in the PB.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I suspect he splits time with jets and moose. Mentor for youngins. No nhl experience on moose otherwise. Perhaps jets sign another vet for moose as well.

Anyone know how many NHL games moose roster has right now?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I suspect he splits time with jets and moose. Mentor for youngins. No nhl experience on moose otherwise. Perhaps jets sign another vet for moose as well.

Anyone know how many NHL games moose roster has right now?

Is that a concern? Jets don't seem to care if Moose win or lose. If they did, wouldn't good AHL vet players fill the leadership/mentor role better than guys who were never much good in the NHL? I'm thinking Jason Jaffray types, career AHL'ers .... but good ones.

Hope you're right. Thought Chevy would have learned last year that it isn't necessary to sign bad NHL players to 1 way contracts to fill out the Moose.

Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad