Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
This was literally one of the dumbest signings in the last 30 years for this team. A guy coming off a career season, having a ridiculously high shooting percentage that was in no way, shape or form, sustainable, and he's the one you throw UFA dollars and cap space at? Did you learn nothing from watching PC make that same mistake with a guy coming off a career year, when he grossly overpaid Chis Kelly?
At least Kelly could play the PK, be strong on the draw and play a good all round game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
At least Kelly could play the PK, be strong on the draw and play a good all round game.

That's part of the issue with Belesky, even when he was playing decent back in the 1st 2/3rds of his first season here.

He has basically no special teams role.

He's get some time on the 2nd PP unit, which typically gets 40-45 seconds each PP.

But what's his role? His puck skills are poor, he's basically a shooter with only an above-average shot. At lot of his goals are more about catching the goaltender off-balance or off his angle, he's not a sniper who has range and picks corners.

So he's basically a net-front presence, which on the 2nd PP unit that job is taken up by Backes.

He doesn't kill penalties, although one would think he would be capable of doing so.

I commend him for changing his diet and off-season regime. Even prior to his knee injury, he appeared pudgy/out-of-shape and always a step behind the play. Losing weight should help him in a number of areas, and shouldn't impact his physical play. If anything, a quicker first step with the weight lose should help him land hits before his opposing player gets out of the way.

Cassidy has a challenge ahead of him with Belesky. He almost has to find a special teams role for him if he's a regular in the line-up. I'd recommend making him a PKer. I see no place for him on the PP.

And he also has to find proper linemates for him. Him with Spooner as his center has been a disaster. Doesn't work, we'll see where he ends up.

And he's got competition, and will need to play decent to stay in the line-up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That's part of the issue with Belesky, even when he was playing decent back in the 1st 2/3rds of his first season here.

He's get some time on the 2nd PP unit, which typically gets 40-45 seconds each PP.

But what's his role? His puck skills are poor, he's basically a shooter with only an above-average shot. At lot of his goals are more about catching the goaltender off-balance or off his angle, he's not a sniper who has range and picks corners.

So he's basically a net-front presence, which on the 2nd PP unit that job is taken up by Backes.

He doesn't kill penalties, although one would think he would be capable of doing so.

I commend him for changing his diet and off-season regime. Even prior to his knee injury, he appeared pudgy/out-of-shape and always a step behind the play. Losing weight should help him in a number of areas, and shouldn't impact his physical play. If anything, a quicker first step with the weight lose should help him land hits before his opposing player gets out of the way.

Cassidy has a challenge ahead of him with Belesky. He almost has to find a special teams role for him if he's a regular in the line-up. I'd recommend making him a PKer. I see no place for him on the PP.

And he also has to find proper linemates for him. Him with Spooner as his center has been a disaster. Doesn't work, we'll see where he ends up.

Beleskey can kill penalties

You need balls to block shots and give yourself up on 50/50's

To me he could be an excellent penalty killer - if I had a kid with balls he killed penalties and they all ended up great at it

I laugh every time I read he can't kill penalties like we are talking brain surgery

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He better be a hell of lot better than last year (low bar). My guess is he will be waived before years end.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Belesky should set his bar high! His personal goal this year should be to out perform Backes. Not that he can or will, but that is where his game should be headed IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm surprised he hasn't been used to kill penalties under Claude or Cassidy.

Seems like his skill-set would be useful in that role. Like you said he's got balls/guts, he's is/was a high-energy player.

Penalty killing, especially for forwards, isn't rocket science I agree totally.

I also think this role would keep him more engaged, keep that sweat going, rather than sitting for long stretches where there are special teams play, so a PK role could also help improve his 5 on 5 play.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He better be a hell of lot better than last year (low bar). My guess is he will be waived before years end.

You ever go to Bruins games ?

Want to put some of Jacobs beer on this

I'll collect in 2018-19 I can wait

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I'm surprised he hasn't been used to kill penalties under Claude or Cassidy.

Seems like his skill-set would be useful in that role. Like you said he's got balls/guts, he's is/was a high-energy player.

Penalty killing, especially for forwards, isn't rocket science I agree totally.

I also think this role would keep him more engaged, keep that sweat going, rather than sitting for long stretches where there are special teams play, so a PK role could also help improve his 5 on 5 play.

This is all true. He's going to have problems getting time on the PK because we have the two best pkers in the league.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is all true. He's going to have problems getting time on the PK because we have the two best pkers in the league.

Depends on what Cassidy does, Claude typically ran 3 separate pairs of forwards on the PK, changing as often as possible. If he runs just two pairing might be hard to find him a spot.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Depends on what Cassidy does, Claude typically ran 3 separate pairs of forwards on the PK, changing as often as possible. If he runs just two pairing might be hard to find him a spot.

It seems like Bergy and Marchy kill 50% of them, and we have tons of fresh meat to sacrifice:laugh:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

He did end up getting some PK time last season. I would like them tomexpand his role there but they do have quite a few options there

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
He did end up getting some PK time last season. I would like them tomexpand his role there but they do have quite a few options there

I don't think they need to expand his role anywhere. He just needs one role and to do it well, and I don't care where he plugs in. Could be 4th line.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don't think they need to expand his role anywhere. He just needs one role and to do it well, and I don't care where he plugs in. Could be 4th line.

Because a 4th liner making 3.8 million is a cap disaster.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
A spot opened up with the departure of Dominic Moore. He could be paired with Nash but he better be quicker than last year our it won't work out.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What if our fourth line works? What if it looks like a 3rd line? What if he's the main reason? He was one of our best bodies 2 years ago.

He was a decent 3rd liner 2 years ago. Not one of the best on the team overall. And it would still be a huge mismanagement of the cap. If he doesn't PK and plays only on the 4th line, he's probably going to be playing 8-10 minutes a game.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Good assessment. Beleskey doesn't do anything well, frankly, and his $3.9 million annual salary is a waste. Boston will probably have to buy him out at year's end, too.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
You ever go to Bruins games ?

Want to put some of Jacobs beer on this

I'll collect in 2018-19 I can wait

Deal, I will buy you whatever beer you want.I will meet you the next day :)

If he's traded we can drink anyway

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Because a 4th liner making 3.8 million is a cap disaster.

Yeah, it is, but you also can't put him on a higher line just because you're paying him more. If you're opposed to him playing 4th line but he's not good enough to be anything more, then you get rid of him or play him 4th line.

The LAST thing I want to see this season is Beleskey getting looks in the top 6 over rookies with skill because we are hoping he's not the slob he was last season. Screw that. This is not a Cup winning team, and they don't need a rejuvenated Matt Beleskey. It'd be great, but even better would be finding a few rookies who can really play and giving them experience. The future is where it's at.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah, it is, but you also can't put him on a higher line just because you're paying him more. If you're opposed to him playing 4th line but he's not good enough to be anything more, then you get rid of him or play him 4th line.

The LAST thing I want to see this season is Beleskey getting looks in the top 6 over rookies with skill because we are hoping he's not the slob he was last season. Screw that. This is not a Cup winning team, and they don't need a rejuvenated Matt Beleskey. It'd be great, but even better would be finding a few rookies who can really play and giving them experience. The future is where it's at.

I post this with a heavy does of cringing involved but merely a "potential" idea.

IF Beleskey returns to the way he played in year 1 in Boston, it "might" not be a horrific idea to have him flank DK as a guy who`ll do the bangin`/crashin` stuff

Again, loads of if`s and maybe`s in that suggestion. No way would I ever start him there, ideally, 3rd line wing, bangs, crashes, contributes here and there would be ok with me. DK seems to have nice success while playing alongside someone who mixes it up physically and can do some heavy lifting in the corner, now, if we see the "heavy" Beleskey from last year, he`ll be watching games from upstairs more than playing them but if he in fact does return to his form from the first year, would it be the craziest idea to give him a bit of a look on the wing of DK?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

If he cant be the 3rd line LW you waive him and do what you can to offload him. I dont want Beleskey playing with Krejci.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If he cant be the 3rd line LW you waive him and do what you can to offload him. I dont want Beleskey playing with Krejci.

Nor do I. I start him on line 3 and hope he can stay there. If not, he goes to line 4, all the the while I'm hoping he has a few decent weeks and the GM learns how to make a hockey trade and he gets rid of him. I'd do what I could before I just bought him out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nor do I. I start him on line 3 and hope he can stay there. If not, he goes to line 4, all the the while I'm hoping he has a few decent weeks and the GM learns how to make a hockey trade and he gets rid of him. I'd do what I could before I just bought him out.

can`t recall all details of his deal, does he have a modified NTC? Can`t remember how many teams he can list as one`s he`d accept a move to?

Of course, he`d have to have a team who wants him but....

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

of course, all these roads lead back to the major problem: the club's pro scouting is a train wreck. more often than not, they make very poor reads.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
of course, all these roads lead back to the major problem: the club's pro scouting is a train wreck. more often than not, they make very poor reads.

love their amateur scouting, wondering why their pro scouting is nowhere near as solid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig