Votes: 217 70.0%
  • Marner

Votes: 93 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
comparing 2 players at similar calibre, tie breaker goes to the centreman over the winger, not to mention he's putting up more points then Marner by alot, how can anyone even vote Marner at this point.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
comparing 2 players at similar calibre, tie breaker goes to the centreman over the winger, not to mention he's putting up more points then Marner by alot, how can anyone even vote Marner at this point.

There’s only 7 points separating them and less than 1/2 a season has been played. I don’t think we can put too much emphasis on that point spread considering it’s likely to change quite a bit between now and April.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal also happens to have a 12% sh% which ain’t going to last.

What’ll be interesting is to see if Barzal can sustain this type of shooting and scoring. Even in Juniors he only had one season of notable goal scoring.
I swear I here this argument from you everytime either to make excuses when a Leafs player is in a slump or in this case you trying to marginalize a fine young player by inferring he is lucky and playing over his head.

In the end who cares. Barzal is well on his way to bettering Marner's 61 pt rookie season. And with a game in hand is 5 goals and 7 points better as a rookie to a sophomore while playing the more important position we were told last year. You don't need to cite shooting %'s to know this.

BTW Marner was picked #4, Barzal #16. I would say Barzal is looking great right now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I swear I here this argument from you everytime either to make excuses when a Leafs player is in a slump or in this case you trying to marginalize a fine young player by inferring he is lucky and playing over his head.

In the end who cares. Barzal is well on his way to bettering Marner's 61 pt rookie season. And with a game in hand is 5 goals and 7 points better as a rookie to a sophomore while playing the more important position we were told last year. You don't need to cite shooting %'s to know this.

Cute that you seem to follow my posts so closely.

Anyways, it’s simply a reality that a 12% sh% is difficult to maintain. Maybe he will break the norm and keep it up, probably not though. A quick glance at his HockeyDB page will show he’s hardly been a sniper against lower levels of play, seems unlikely he’ll turn into one in the NHL

Maybe he beats Marners 60 point rookie campaign, though maybe he doesn’t. Still plenty of hockey left to play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Anyways, it’s simply a reality that a 12% sh% is difficult to maintain. Maybe he will break the norm and keep it up, probably not though. A quick glance at his HockeyDB page will show he’s hardly been a sniper against lower levels of play, seems unlikely he’ll turn into one in the NHL

Maybe he beats Marners 60 point rookie campaign, though maybe he doesn’t. Still plenty of hockey left to play.
Oh I see you hedging your bets now. Barzal doesn't have to beat Marner's amazing 61 points I hear they are. He was picked #16 not #4 in the same draft. Expectations are Marner should be miles ahead of a #16 pick. But we know this is not the case. We Barzal fans will take this as a moral victory.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Oh I see you hedging your bets now. Barzal doesn't have to beat Marner's amazing 61 points I hear they are. He was picked #16 not #4 in the same draft. Expectations are Marner should be miles ahead of a #16 pick. But we know this is not the case. We Barzal fans will take this as a moral victory.

Good for you?

Personally I don’t see why the two are even in competition with on another. I watch Barzal play a few times a year, good player, just not sure if he’s going to necessarily reach the high expectations set on him. The pressures on I suppose

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You’re one of the whiniest little posters when it comes to anything leafs. You’re like a little kid who screams “la la la la la” when presented anything but exactly what you want to hear, so there’s never any point in actually discussing anything with you. You just become insufferable.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You’re one of the whiniest little posters when it comes to anything leafs. You’re like a little kid who screams “la la la la la” when presented anything but exactly what you want to hear, so there’s never any point in actually discussing anything with you. You just become insufferable.
Excellent

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
lol

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Not really. Almost 40% of the forwards who played 70 games or more last year shot 12% or higher

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not really. Almost 40% of the forwards who played 70 games or more last year shot 12% or higher

I find this unsustainable 12% shooting percentage argument quite humorous. I can understand if we were arguing if Eberle's 18.9% (in his 34 goal breakout season) was sustainable (it wasn't), Barzal is a pass happy center who is not relied on to be a big goal scorer for the Isles.

So what is sustainable? 8%? 9%? Well crap, that's going to cost Barzal a goal or maybe 2 throughout the season... considering he's not a high volume shooter anyway. I don't think many people would be too concerned when he has a ton of assists to make up for that 2-3% difference in shooting percentage.

Silly argument that is a major reach considering the type of player Barzal is.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I have no idea how these good these players turn out to be but watching Barzal he really seems to have "it".

Will drive the net, will make great passes, will possess the puck as long as he possible can to make the right play. (Kuznetsov does this as well), and man is he a smart player. What a great trade by the Islanders.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida

Auston Matthews is shooting significantly higher than 12%, does that mean you expect his production to be unsustainable as well?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Auston Matthews is shooting significantly higher than 12%, does that mean you expect his production to be unsustainable as well?

Auston Matthews has a snipe of a shot, and is one of the best goal scorers in the NHL while Barzal even in juniors only had one season of noticeable goal scoring, we don’t know yet if he’s going to keep this up.

I’m not suggesting he’s a bad player, but I won’t be surprised if/when it dips down a few %

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

The truth usually burns peoples bums pretty good as I can see from this post.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good for you?

Personally I don’t see why the two are even in competition with on another. I watch Barzal play a few times a year, good player, just not sure if he’s going to necessarily reach the high expectations set on him. The pressures on I suppose
Barzal with a hatty today. Looks like your 12% unsustainable shooting argument will have to wait for another day.

Not even a close debate this season. Barzal is better than Marner.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Because Marner was actually in the NHL at 19 and had a great season last year...

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Points are points pal, doesn't matter if you're picked first or last....

Reactions: LordNeverLose

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You wast to see a point.
Mitch Marner, C3642125
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mathew Barzal, C36122335
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How them for points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad