Votes: 217 70.0%
  • Marner

Votes: 93 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
It's still Marner. I need to see a full season of Barzal before I change my opinion. Remember last year when many people (myself included) thought Marner was better than Johnny based on not even a full season? People always love the shiny new toy.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
as of now it simply cant not be barzal

but based on marners play last season, moving forward it could go either way

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Does that mean Lawson Crouse is also better since he made the NHL first?
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Crouse is not even in the same league as both players. Marner should get credit for scoring 60 points in his 19 YO season. How many players get to play when they're 19 YO and score 60 points? Not many.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For me it isn't about who is or will be the better player. Both are destined to be producing makers in the NHL.

The Isles are already winners here with Barzal looking every bit as much as a stud Center. When one factors in that he was picked 12 picks later than Marner was. Then the comparison for both players becomes even more evident.

The vast majority of times the #4 player picked is supposed to be the much better player than the #16th player picked from a draft.

The fact that Marner isn't and we are having this discussion, projects well onto Barzal and those that backed him his draft year.

The only thing we are sure here is the real winners are the Islanders.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Does that mean Lawson Crouse is also better since he made the NHL first?
We're not talking about the same Lawson Crouse that TWS had ranked above Marner pre-draft are we?

Because if we are, that's an entirely different player than the 2 players we're discussing in this thread. Apples and oranges my good friend.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Crouse is not even in the same league as both players. Marner should get credit for scoring 60 points in his 19 YO season. How many players get to play when they're 19 YO and score 60 points? Not many.

Marner should get credit for his rookie season, but I don't think highlighting his age at the time makes much sense given his struggles as a 20 year old.

Development isn't linear. Barzal has been better this year by a fair margin, but Marner's excellent rookie year makes this very tough. Slight edge to Barzal, but the gap between their play this season is much larger.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Saying Barzal is on the best line in the world is like saying Marner is playing with a Connor McDavid Level centreman.

Both statements are false as hell. Barzal easily. He's carrying his line. Seems to play with a second set of eyes behind his head, kinda like Henrik Sedin. Vision is all the charts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This should not be as lopsided as it is. It's the perfect case of one player being on fire and the other having a somewhat down year. What Barzal has done so far in pretty incredible, I highly doubt he keeps up the point per game pace for the entire season. I see Barzal finishing the year similar to what Marner did last year. Both should finish with 60ish points.

This is coming from someone who really likes Barzal too. I've been tuning into the Isles games lately to watch him play, and he is electrifying at times. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up.

this stuff happens on hfboards all the time. Live with it. Literally.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
:laugh: Sample size is only a thing if the Leaf player is the one with the body of work. Got it. Rookie vs Leaf player? Sample size ain’t a thing.

Shoutout to the shameless posters who show up in every Leaf thread - You’re consistently inconsistent, and it’s ****** hilarious.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
:laugh: Sample size is only a thing if the Leaf player is the one with the body of work. Got it. Rookie vs Leaf player? Sample size ain’t a thing.

Shoutout to the shameless posters who show up in every Leaf thread - You’re consistently inconsistent, and it’s ****** hilarious.

Are you talking to anyone in particular or just having a theoretical argument with a hypothetical poster?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Marner is back. Probably going to have a good run of PPG+ form. His xGF% is something like 63 percent. Would love to see him play with Matthews when he's back to continue this form. Might get them both near the scoring race.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So nobody in particular?
Not really directed at you if that’s what you’re getting at. It’s to the people who consistently show up to explain why the Leaf player can’t win because XYZ, but then twist or even eliminate XYZ in another thread when it doesn’t line up the same. :laugh:

The anonymity eliminates all shame and embarrassment, I guess, but it’s still pretty funny to watch.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner should get credit for his rookie season, but I don't think highlighting his age at the time makes much sense given his struggles as a 20 year old.

Development isn't linear. Barzal has been better this year by a fair margin, but Marner's excellent rookie year makes this very tough. Slight edge to Barzal, but the gap between their play this season is much larger.

“Struggles”

He’s third on the team in points and is currently on pace for 56.

Barzal has just 5 more points than him at present.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
“Struggles”

He’s third on the team in points and is currently on pace for 56.

Barzal has just 5 more points than him at present.

Relative to his rookie season, you don't think Marner has struggled? He scored at a 64 point pace at 19. He's on pace for 9 goals and 56 points as a 20 year old despite 2g 3a in his last 2 games.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Relative to his rookie season, you don't think Marner has struggled? He scored at a 64 point pace at 19. He's on pace for 9 goals and 56 points as a 20 year old despite 2g 3a in his last 2 games.

He’s had a few rough gamers (relatively speaking) during the season, no argument there, but he’s still performing like a first line player.

And with over half a season remaining I expect he’ll finish at a higher scoring rate than last year too. At this point all it takes is a few hot games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad