Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
We would be stupid not to sign him for that.

Completely agreed.

Let MSL go after the season.
Trade J. Moore at the deadline for a rental D (or C that can win some ****ing faceoffs)
Bury/Trade Glass ASAP
Let Stempniak go at the end of the season
Stepan... ugh... this one is going to be difficult with what RoR got...
Let Hunwick go
Hags is another issue. Like the guy, but I'm not sure what he's worth.

Mcilrath 6th D (I hope)
Fast/Duclair/Buch/Lindberg to fill some roster spots.

Another tough ($) off season. I wish there'd be a luxury tax system (to a certain point) where some of that money would go to cap floor teams to give them more $ to compete and some more $ for the NHL.

(edit) I only advocate the above ^ because I *HATE* to see home-grown/developed players have to go elsewhere because of lack of money to sign them to a FAIR deal. It drives me crazy because the organization has spent years and $ to pick and develop that prospect into an NHL player.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think "going to want" with no actual quotes attached just sounds like speculation on Dregers part. Since when has Zooks ever held out for the most he can get in salary? Zooks has said he is more concered with the amount of years and I believe him. His agents will probably ask for the moon while Sather offers almost nothing. As long as they are talking I'm happy. It shows me both parties want a deal to get done.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think "going to want" with no actual quotes attached just sounds like speculation on Dregers part. Since when has Zooks ever held out for the most he can get in salary? Zooks has said he is more concered with the amount of years and I believe him. His agents will probably ask for the moon while Sather offers almost nothing. As long as they are talking I'm happy. It shows me both parties want a deal to get done.

Everyone should pause for a moment and really wonder who Dreger's source on this probably is.

He keeps name dropping Newport Agency. Providing us a contract value that Zucc's side would potentially want.

Meaning that the valuation will be higher than both what the Rangers are offering and what Zucc will eventually get. It is inflated in Zucc's favor. It has to be, otherwise players who attempt to sign fair contracts and begin negotiating at that value will constantly get negotiated to lower than fair value.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
pure speculation...

I think they'll agree on a 4 year deal in the range of 4.275 - 4.350..

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
It shouldn´t be a surprise if Zucc asks for $5M. This is what Brassard got, coming out of a season with (a career high) 0,55 p/g. Not saying it was wrong, he already has the same points as last years with more than 25 games to go. So it most definite was a right decision.

Still, I can´t see why Zucc deserves less based on performance.

But the cap situation will probably put Zucc around 4-4,5. And to get this, as in all talks and discussions, you have to start higher.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think it's pretty stupid it's always Zuke who signs the hometown discount contract. Every time. Which other player on the Rangers has done that? No one.

It shouldn't be a question Zuke should be re-signed. He's earned it, on and off the ice.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I actually think Zucc will get around 4.5 mil now when it is all said and done.

Rangers probably want 4 mil, and Zucc probably may want 5 mil. Both will meet in the middle. Simple negotiating 101.

Honestly, for 4-5 years, I'll take Zucc at 4.5 mil.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
I think it's pretty stupid it's always Zuke who signs the hometown discount contract. Every time. Which other player on the Rangers has done that? No one.

It shouldn't be a question Zuke should be re-signed. He's earned it, on and off the ice.

Agreed. But $4M@5 years isn´t a discount in my opinion. If he gets 4,2-4,3 it is starting to look real good.

Keep in mind that Captain McD "only" has $4,7M

Good think the players don´t read to many news or forums. Someone puts out a rumor that he asks for "more than $5M" and the hate begins. Where the **** are they getting these numbers from? Zucc has always stated that years are more important than salary. He has proven that he wants to stay in NYR by taking a discount. Twice. Why not believe him now?
His last official statement (yes, actually coming from him in person, not som crazy rumors on the internet) was: "If the Rangers offers me a contract that shows that they believe in me, we will come to an agreement".

Where does it say that the contract have to be more than $5M to "believe in him" Don´t they "believe in" McD who only has $4,7M?

As i have said many times before: If they offer him 5 years, I am certain that he will settle for somewhere between 4 and 4,5, which is so well deserved based on performance, attitude, effort and also based on him helping the team by taking a 1 year deal twice, to help with the cap.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Marc Staal. Ryan McDonagh.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Marc Staal. Ryan McDonagh.

Big difference: McD signed that contract as an RFA.

And that Staal contract isn't a hometown discount. He'd likely get more if he were to hit the open market, but he isn't underpaid either

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

And that Staal contract isn't a hometown discount. He'd likely get more if he were to hit the open market, but he isn't underpaid either

you seriously mean to tell me a team in Philly's defense situation wouldn't pay him $7M a year?

Because you're wrong if you don't think so.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

What discount? I see that often and it just does not make any sense to me.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
What discount? I see that often and it just does not make any sense to me.

At least signing the last one year deal, was a discount IMHO. He was the RS point leader most of the year, and signed a short term to fit in a couple of players. McDonaugh and Brassard?
It`s so inconvient that capgeek is gone.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
U can also make a case about Brassard since he would have been one of the best centers available

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
At least signing the last one year deal, was a discount IMHO. He was the RS point leader most of the year, and signed a short term to fit in a couple of players. McDonaugh and Brassard?
It`s so inconvient that capgeek is gone.

I just don't see it that way.

He was a RFA with arbitration rights, if he went through with arbitration he could only be awarded a one year deal.

Salary wise, since he joined the NHL later than most others that would be in that situation, he just did not have the amount of NHL games played to compare himself to another player and say I should get more or the same salary as that player did in his last RFA year.

I don't see it as a discount, Rangers certainly played it by the CBA book and used that leverage, but that is sort of what they do in most occasions.

To the now, I certainly hope the Rangers and he come to an agreement. I am a fan of Zucc, but if he wants open market prices, well within his rights now that he is going to be a UFA, I think the Rangers may likely let him to go it and he may end up going elsewhere if he is going to stick to that.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

This is literally the definition of a hometown discount.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
This is literally the definition of a hometown discount.

True. Still doesn't make it a very good deal. It's like buying a gold plated sound cable at 50% off. Still more expensive than a regular cable, and the performace is the same.

Staal is a good player. But not 7 mill good. IMO, the contract he has now is an over payment too. But he has his own thread.

JimL

Jan 19, 2011
I'm not trying to be funny or anything. But I believe Zuke would take years over money and accept 5y+ @ 2M. Why? He loves it in NY, and with that kind of cash you are set for (a good) life either way. Especially in his position as he will most definitely have a job when he comes back here.

Of course I don't expect that to be what they agree on. But I honestly believe he would accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark