GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Marner would be Tkachuk.
Tkachuk was not known for his playoff prowess in Calgary either, he turned it up in Florida, and he like Marner would be, was the best player in that deal.
Marner will be the best player in any deal that is made.

I'd like to move on as well, but we are definitely in a lose-lose situation.
Marner would be Huberdeau based on the situation and player style. I’m not sure how much you remember from the Tkachuk/Huberdeau trade but Huberdeau was seen as the better player at the time by the public and specifically this website.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Desharnais seems like a lock to be signed once he hits UFA. Benoit - Desharnais, French connection!

Theodore would also be a fantastic addition to our blueline.
Treliving tried to get Desharnais in the Lafferty trade but Edmonton declined.

If Desharnais makes it to UFA 100% Treliving calls, but I’d be surprised if he goes to UFA as Edmonton is high on him.

Torn on Zadorov, as he’s another LHD. Benoit has earned 3LHD and McCabe is solid at 2LHD. I like Edmundson in a low contract for 4LHD.

Zadorov is going to get paid and we need to spend on RHD.

With some good RHD UFA’s available, this is where Treliving needs to put our money. Desharnais at 3RHD would be great, and then go for Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, etc.

I think Liljegren deserves to work with a new coach and Timmins is not someone you let go. I think he has more too.

Reactions: aingefan

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
$3m is what I heard he'll be asking for - let's see if he gets it. I wouldn't give that to him, but I wager that you wouldn't have thought that Holl would get a $10mil contract either, right?

And again, this construct of "4th D or 5th D" is incredibly obtuse in the case of Zadorov. To give an example - Schenn would have been considered a 6th/7th D, but yet he was an excellent contributor when he got here. Same with Boosh and to a lesser extent Edmund. Don't get trapped in these labels, and look at what a player will actually give you, and then evaluate on how badly you are in need of these qualities.

1-Liljegren can ask whatever he want, if a team is as much desesperate to give him 3M, bye bye... Liljegren would be healthy scratch in the majority of the NHL playoff team.

2-That why i said i would prefer a boosh/ edmundson at half price than a Zadorov.. I dont think Zadorov is the right guy to spend 4,5 to 5,5 M on him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bukala thinks Leafs should go after Stolarz who is similar in size and style to Woll, which makes it easier on defence. They could be our twin towers.

He thinks Minten needs time in the AHL but Cowan is very close. Likened him to Tippet who was too good to go back to the OHL.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Bukala thinks Leafs should go after Stolarz who is similar in size and style to Woll, which makes it easier on defence. They could be our twin towers.

He thinks Minten needs time in the AHL but Cowan is very close. Likened him to Tippet who was too good to go back to the OHL.

Kinda surprising they haven't made an exemption for say 1st rounders in their D+2 years to be able to play in the AHL. They're just putting the kids in a situation they shouldn't be.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I can see both the Marner and Tavares deals going the route of using third party facilitators. Both will want to go to a contender - if they waive at all.

Hypothetical teams obviously. Just used as an example.

Leafs receive Dallas' 2025 1st

Chicago receives Dallas' 2025 4th

Dallas receives Tavares
-25% retained Toronto
-25% retained Chicago

Tavares at $5.5/a full season is well worth a first and fourth.

Leafs receive 1st, B+ prospect, B+young player from Vegas

San Jose receives Vegas' 4th

Vegas receives Marner
-25% retained Toronto
-25% retained San Jose

Marner at $5.45/full season is worth that package.

Use newly acquired draft capital and cap space for trades and UFA. It frees up $16M in cap to play with.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can see both the Marner and Tavares deals going the route of using third party facilitators. Both will want to go to a contender - if they waive at all.

Dallas receives Tavares
-25% retained Toronto
-25% retained Chicago

Vegas receives Marner
-25% retained Toronto
-25% retained San Jose

Use newly acquired draft capital and cap space for trades and UFA. It frees up $16M in cap to play with.
Makes even more sense when you factor in real dollars owed. I still do not think they ask Tavares to move or will he. Fans will understand that he came here for family reasons and why he wants to stay. Marner will not be so lucky.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Dallas receives Tavares
-25% retained Toronto
-25% retained Chicago

Vegas receives Marner
-25% retained Toronto
-25% retained San Jose

San Jose has no retention slots left. Do you really think any team takes on a full season of 2.75M for a 4th?

Reactions: horner and CDN24

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
San Jose has no retention slots left. Do you really think any team takes on a full season of 2.75M for a 4th?
As I said, they were just hypothetical teams. Didn't have time to do the research this morning.

If they have the cap space, yes. After July 1st both players are owed less than $1M in real dollars. A 4th for $200K basically.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Surprised people aren't talking about goaltending more, no clue where we go from here. Based on the lress conference, management doesn't have plans to run it back with Sammy again.
it will likely be Woll and a league min, or under 2 mil vet. on a one year deal.
Hildi will also get a look at training camp, since he is projected to be the starter of the future, and did well on a poor Marlies team

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
But why is Marner also in the lineup? I will be shocked if Tre/management brings this core back, especially after Tre’s comments at the presser.

I cannot see Trotz or ownership wanting to pay a soft winger who puts up over 90+ points in the regular season every year but who has continuously failed to deliver in the playoffs when it matters the most, $100 million over 8 years.
Compared to Forsberg's 58 points in 81 playoff games, Marner is a playoff superstar with 50 pts in 57. Marner would be their best playoff performer by a wide margin.
People really need to look at things objectively.
Yes, we expect a lot more from Marner, but, he is still better than most players

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Treliving tried to get Desharnais in the Lafferty trade but Edmonton declined.

If Desharnais makes it to UFA 100% Treliving calls, but I’d be surprised if he goes to UFA as Edmonton is high on him.

Torn on Zadorov, as he’s another LHD. Benoit has earned 3LHD and McCabe is solid at 2LHD. I like Edmundson in a low contract for 4LHD.

Zadorov is going to get paid and we need to spend on RHD.

With some good RHD UFA’s available, this is where Treliving needs to put our money. Desharnais at 3RHD would be great, and then go for Roy, Pesce, DeMelo, etc.

I think Liljegren deserves to work with a new coach and Timmins is not someone you let go. I think he has more too.
Hockey is a business, and we shouldnt get attached to players... the keys here are, is Zadorov better than Benoit, and the answer is Yes, and he can also play the right side. Can we get him for a price we can manage, that is the only question to answer.
Edmonson had a higher cap hit than Zadorov last season, and isnt as good as Zadorov.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hockey is a business, and we shouldnt get attached to players... the keys here are, is Zadorov better than Benoit, and the answer is Yes, and he can also play the right side. Can we get him for a price we can manage, that is the only question to answer.
Edmonson had a higher cap hit than Zadorov last season, and isnt as good as Zadorov.

Anyone can play on their off side technically, it's not rocket science. He has rarely ever done it looking back and typically they are always been much better on their strong side. Zadorov is a lot better than Benoit, but he'll also be 4 to 5 times more expensive.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Compared to Forsberg's 58 points in 81 playoff games, Marner is a playoff superstar with 50 pts in 57. Marner would be their best playoff performer by a wide margin.
Yes, we expect a lot more from Marner, but, he is still better than most players
Oh I agree, and like it has been stated numerous times, all these playoff failures cannot be put solely on Marner. He has had great regular season stats, he's an Allstar. But Matthews and Nylander have already signed, and JT only has one more year remaining. So that would lead us to thinking IF changes will be made to the core, then Marner is the odd man out.

But I will also add that Marner has shown throughout all his playoff series that he is a perimeter player, that he will not go to the "tough" areas of the ice to try to make a play. So that is one of the main reasons I hope he gets traded.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Despite playing for the Swedes in the World Junior U-20 Championships (2019) and the Olympics (2022), this is the first time that Holmberg has represented his home country at the Worlds, already putting together an impressive three points in three games played – all primary assists, one of which was shorthanded. Along with his production on offense, Holmberg has netted a +4 rating in his three games of action slotted on the second line centering Marcus Johansson and Andre Burakovsky.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Despite playing for the Swedes in the World Junior U-20 Championships (2019) and the Olympics (2022), this is the first time that Holmberg has represented his home country at the Worlds, already putting together an impressive three points in three games played – all primary assists, one of which was shorthanded. Along with his production on offense, Holmberg has netted a +4 rating in his three games of action slotted on the second line centering Marcus Johansson and Andre Burakovsky.

He's been getting better and better. Could be a surprise player going into next season. Trading him now would be a big mistake.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh I agree, and like it has been stated numerous times, all these playoff failures cannot be put solely on Marner. He has had great regular season stats, he's an Allstar. But Matthews and Nylander have already signed, and JT only has one more year remaining. So that would lead us to thinking IF changes will be made to the core, then Marner is the odd man out.

But I will also add that Marner has shown throughout all his playoff series that he is a perimeter player, that he will not go to the "tough" areas of the ice to try to make a play. So that is one of the main reasons I hope he gets traded.
His only goal in the series came from taking it to the net but he doesn't do that enough for sure but that's never been his game.

Reactions: Mad hatter

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner is paid to be a completely different caliber of player than Forsberg.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Try to convince Vegas to make another big move and get Theodore for Marner. Extend Theodore and then you can try and get rid of Rielly at that point. Or maybe he plays better when you have a better D man ahead of him.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Marner is a passer, what value is there to have Marner in the corners doing puck battles?
He doesnt do it in the regular season, and shouldnt in the playoffs either, that isnt his role.

The main issue was when he had the puck, he seldom had anyone open, or the chance to pass to anyone, so, he got smothered a lot.
this is a 'system' and lineup problem, so, if its still an issue with the next coach, then maybe its a Marner problem.
Bert-Dimi-Marner 'looked' good together and had a lot of o-zone time, but Marner and Domi are both pass first guys, and Bertuzzi cant handle the puck take a pass, or ever get open for either of them or draw any pressure off of them.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Try to convince Vegas to make another big move and get Theodore for Marner. Extend Theodore and then you can try and get rid of Rielly at that point. Or maybe he plays better when you have a better D man ahead of him.

Vegas is pretty wild and unpredictable but I don't even think they could pull this off.

I just still can't believe they were able to get Grier and the Sharks to retain on Hertl's contract -- his cap hit until 2030 is 6.75M. Insanity.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Marner would be Huberdeau based on the situation and player style. I’m not sure how much you remember from the Tkachuk/Huberdeau trade but Huberdeau was seen as the better player at the time by the public and specifically this website.
If Huberdeau was the better player why was he packaged with another player, a prospect and a 1st round pick?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner is a passer, what value is there to have Marner in the corners doing puck battles?
He doesnt do it in the regular season, and shouldnt in the playoffs either, that isnt his role.

The main issue was when he had the puck, he seldom had anyone open, or the chance to pass to anyone, so, he got smothered a lot.
this is a 'system' and lineup problem, so, if its still an issue with the next coach, then maybe its a Marner problem.
Bert-Dimi-Marner 'looked' good together and had a lot of o-zone time, but Marner and Domi are both pass first guys, and Bertuzzi cant handle the puck take a pass, or ever get open for either of them or draw any pressure off of them.
Not sure what the stats were but it seemed like Marner had a ton of takeaways and won many pucks on the boards in the series.
His strength is his quick stick, he's not going to outmuscle anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad