Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Because far too many people are married to the myth that their favorite player(s) care about the franchise above their own financial well being.

Well to be fair he did take slightly less money last year in order to help out the franchise.

Not to the tune of 1 million dollars+ however, but still

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Well to be fair he did take slightly less money last year in order to help out the franchise.

Not to the tune of 1 million dollars+ however, but still

Yes his 200% raise after 1 good NHL season was such a heroic act in the name of Ranger loyalty.

Lets get real here. He didn't have leverage then. He does now.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
Yes his 200% raise after 1 good NHL season was such a heroic act in the name of Ranger loyalty.

Lets get real here. He didn't have leverage then. He does now.

If he only was looking for money, he would have stayed in Russia, believe it or not, but some players appreciate the chance to win and be historic, more than money....

anofsti

May 14, 2011
He made less in russia than he does in the NHL now. Especially after the rubel plummeted.

I believe Zucc will take enough of a discount to make the cap puzzle come together. No more, no less. It's what he's done last year, and the year before that.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
He made less in russia than he does in the NHL now. Especially after the rubel plummeted.

I believe Zucc will take enough of a discount to make the cap puzzle come together. No more, no less. It's what he's done last year, and the year before that.

Of course, but that was not the case when he came back from Russia. He took a gigantic wage cut at that time, for the opportunity to play in the world's best league and it was not money that was his drivingforce, unlike Patrick Thoresen in Flyers.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I just don't see it that way.

He was a RFA with arbitration rights, if he went through with arbitration he could only be awarded a one year deal.

Salary wise, since he joined the NHL later than most others that would be in that situation, he just did not have the amount of NHL games played to compare himself to another player and say I should get more or the same salary as that player did in his last RFA year.

I don't see it as a discount, Rangers certainly played it by the CBA book and used that leverage, but that is sort of what they do in most occasions.

To the now, I certainly hope the Rangers and he come to an agreement. I am a fan of Zucc, but if he wants open market prices, well within his rights now that he is going to be a UFA, I think the Rangers may likely let him to go it and he may end up going elsewhere if he is going to stick to that.

Actually you have several good Points here. And if we are staying in "the real world" everything over a million dollars per year, is no discount for any player.I will problaby not make 2 millions over my hole working career ha ha

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Because far too many people are married to the myth that their favorite player(s) care about the franchise above their own financial well being.

Think it varies from player to player. Their not perfect commodities. Well being in general I would think is more correct? $ is just a piece if it. Don't they are different than other people and some would probably pay a bit to stay in NY over Buffalo? We're not talking minimum wage and starving kids here.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I'm not trying to be funny or anything. But I believe Zuke would take years over money and accept 5y+ @ 2M. Why? He loves it in NY, and with that kind of cash you are set for (a good) life either way. Especially in his position as he will most definitely have a job when he comes back here.

Of course I don't expect that to be what they agree on. But I honestly believe he would accept it.

Are you dreaming? He hang With millionares like Brassard and Hank. They are good buddies, and he look at their numbers. And they have probleby told him how to do Things to make the most out off his skils.
They don`t live in a "real numbers world"

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
Zucc should get what is fair no moore no less. Too little and he will not feel appreciated and it will affect his performance, too much and the pressure may be too much to handle. I think something around 4,5 mill @4 years is fair.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Are you dreaming? He hang With millionares like Brassard and Hank. They are good buddies, and he look at their numbers. And they have probleby told him how to do Things to make the most out off his skils.
They don`t live in a "real numbers world"

Yea. If that was the offer, Buffalo would be an option. No way he will accept anything south of 4, regardless of length.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Lets go with the romantic option

:laugh:

I like Zucc, I really hope they work something out. I think there is a deal to be made, it's guaranteed money for the most part, minus escrow and possible work stoppages.

If he'll settle for 5Mx4 that is 20M total, add the 5th year and it's 4Mx5 and still 20M total.

Since I think 4M is a little low ~4.25M x 5= 21.25M makes more sense, if I were him though I ask for bonus money in the year where a work stoppage is possible (both sides have opt out Sept 2019, bonus money would be paid prior to Sept) which would make it almost guaranteed money minus escrow should the players side come up over the 50% split. If he gets that bonus money that year and there is a lengthy stoppage he may end up actually making more than a player who signed a bit more expensive deal but is paid in salary that year. Rangers have money, cap space is going to be their issue.

Now I think he could get more than that on the open market, he may even get that total over 5 years to be closer to 25M, so it would mean he is leaving about 3.75M on the table over those 5 years but he is doing so to stay with the Rangers which if he is being sincere about wanting to stay seems like a relatively small amount (750K per year) to give up to do so. At 4.25M per I think the Rangers may even give him a no trade for the first two years, from there maybe even a limited no trade, so he does not have the chance to end up somewhere he totally does not want to be.

To me that is a pretty decent compromise. We'll see what they come up with but I'm still a little worried the Rangers may end up going MSL over Zucc short term if he really pushes for more than something like that.

Last edited:

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Of course, but that was not the case when he came back from Russia. He took a gigantic wage cut at that time, for the opportunity to play in the world's best league and it was not money that was his drivingforce, unlike Patrick Thoresen in Flyers.

At that time, yes. But 3,5 is more than he would have made in the KHL. Thoresen won a Gargarin Trophy before he signed his current contract.

Patrick Thoresen left because he didn't get a one-way. Not because of the money. He signed in Switzerland, and got less there than he would have if he'd played in the NHL, but a lot more than he would have earned in the AHL.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Almost no one, except the superstars, makes 3,5 million $ a year in the KHL. Not even before the fall in rubels. For all their posturing. KHL salaries are still lower on average than NHL salaries, with the odd outliers. That's why you only see russian players use the KHL card, because only Russian players would get those kinds of salaries in the KHL. The only reason for other europeans to use it is to get one-way deals instead of two-way deals.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
Almost no one, except the superstars, makes 3,5 million $ a year in the KHL. Not even before the fall in rubels. For all their posturing. KHL salaries are still lower on average than NHL salaries, with the odd outliers. That's why you only see russian players use the KHL card, because only Russian players would get those kinds of salaries in the KHL. The only reason for other europeans to use it is to get one-way deals instead of two-way deals.

Well, Thoresen who did not make it in Flyers (or at least was not willing to risk spending time time in AHL), now earn more money than Zucc who actually made it in Rangers.

http://https://translate.google.no/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no%2Fsport%2Fishockey%2Fkhl%2Frussland-thoresen-tjener-mer-enn-nhl-zucca%2Fa%2F23286040%2F&edit-text=&act=url

It has been the same everywhere in the beginning for Zucc, his to small, he will not make it, first in the norwegian league, then in SEL, and then when he came to Rangers and Torts jam. He has proven himself over and over again. So I think he would have made it in the KHL as well. After all Zucc made it here in NHL, Thoresen did not.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Duclair will give us 20 goals next season on a Million? dollar salary.....he can replace Zucc......prepare to say good bye folks and move on....Sather has this already to go . So....if Zucc does not take Ranger offer...he is playing in another city next season .

Can't pay every guy 5 Mill + unless you want to be in a lottery draft or like the Bruins are now....use common sense and think about that . Duclair...skilled , fast young and cheap.....will play in NY next season and contend for ROY .

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Then they are actively discussing an extension, thats good news in my book. I'll stay by my "original estimate" of 4 - 4.5 million for 4+ years.

Something like 4 - 4.25 x 5 years or something should be very acceptable by both parties.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Duclair will give us 20 goals next season on a Million? dollar salary.....he can replace Zucc......prepare to say good bye folks and move on....Sather has this already to go . So....if Zucc does not take Ranger offer...he is playing in another city next season .

Can't pay every guy 5 Mill + unless you want to be in a lottery draft or like the Bruins are now....use common sense and think about that . Duclair...skilled , fast young and cheap.....will play in NY next season and contend for ROY .

Duclair can replace MSL, Zucc will extend at 4.75, book it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad