Player Discussion: Mathieu Perreault

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What makes you think he had that option?
You think they wouldn’t offer him a million to play and send Harkins to moose? Other cdn teams have great players from their cities return for a farewell tour. Mtl has Perrault, TO has Spezza. Stone, toews etc would never take a million dollar offer to play one year in Wpg.

Reactions: JetsUK

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
It's too bad looks like unless we over payed he preferred MTL.

Fourth line doesn't get much time with Moe as he runs 3 lines hard so I don't think it has much impact.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You think they wouldn’t offer him a million to play and send Harkins to moose? Other cdn teams have great players from their cities return for a farewell tour. Mtl has Perrault, TO has Spezza. Stone, toews etc would never take a million dollar offer to play one year in Wpg.

Not saying they shouldn't have made him an offer, or that they wouldn't have, eventually. But we have no indication that they made him any offer of any kind yet. He isn't going to sit around waiting.

Jets didn't need to wait till UFA day to re-sign him. They could have signed him weeks ago, if they had wanted to.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Before all the Scheifele crap i would have been happy for Frenchie, right now it's kind of tough because i want to destroy Montreal when we play them.

giphy.gif

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Not saying they shouldn't have made him an offer, or that they wouldn't have, eventually. But we have no indication that they made him any offer of any kind yet. He isn't going to sit around waiting.

Jets didn't need to wait till UFA day to re-sign him. They could have signed him weeks ago, if they had wanted to.

With TNSE, there is rarely any indication of anything before it happens. So the lack of any indication that they tried to sign Perreault isn't evidence one way or the other that it happened or not. It's non-information.

And by the same token, if Perreault wanted to stay in Winnipeg, and there wasn't an offer already, he could have asked his camp to talk to Chevy.

To me, Perreault wanting to finish his career in his home province seems the most likely, given that the Jets seemed to really like him, are typically loyal to long-term players, and what he signed for was a bargain.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
With TNSE, there is rarely any indication of anything before it happens. So the lack of any indication that they tried to sign Perreault isn't evidence one way or the other that it happened or not. It's non-information.

And by the same token, if Perreault wanted to stay in Winnipeg, and there wasn't an offer already, he could have asked his camp to talk to Chevy.

To me, Perreault wanting to finish his career in his home province seems the most likely
, given that the Jets seemed to really like him, are typically loyal to long-term players, and what he signed for was a bargain.

That is what my sources tell me.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Wait a few years for Stone. I get the sense that Toews would really like to be a career-long Blackhawk.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Or that they didn’t and he chose mtl anyway. Or that they knew he planned to go to mtl.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
How is his 200ft game?

Leadership?

Style of play?

He can still tilt the ice.
He'll carry and dominate from a 4th line position.
He's good on the 3rd line and can pinch in for the 2nd line if needed.
He's a great PP2 guy.
Awesome in the room.
Very few people can celebrate a goal as well as Matty P.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or that they didn’t and he chose mtl anyway. Or that they knew he planned to go to mtl.

Yup. In the absence of evidence, anything is possible.

All we know is that he signed with Mtl for 950k. We don't know that Wpg made any offer and if they made an offer, we don't know for how much.

IMO we should have offered him in the 1.25-1.5 range. And maybe we did, or maybe we offered nothing.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry, Mathieu...only Blake Wheeler gets to dictate how, and how much he's deployed.

Among Jets forwards: 12th in 5v5 TOI/GP, 7th in CF%, 4th in GF%, 1st in xGF%, 1st in SCF%, 1st in HDCF%, 11th in OZ starts...another fine player chased away by PoMo.

He wasn't playing top 6 without injuries, and the Lowry, Copp, and Appleton line was a great 3rd line. It's hard to fault Maurice for being honest.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Perfectly understandable decision at the end of his career. At 950K for 1 year, Mtl is getting good value if Perreault stays healthy, and he gets to play up on a forward lineup that isn't as talented as the Jets'.

I don't see the need to blame anyone for this. Great opportunity for a fine player to end his career in his home province.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The benefit to Montreal will be determined by what game Frenchie decides to play while he's there. If it's the game from last year, or four years ago, then they got a bargain and will be very happy. If it's the two intervening years then not so much.

I wish him only the best, he did all he was asked of by the Jets and never complained. I find no fault in wanting more time on the ice. Going to miss his flow and beard along with his character.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Sorry, Mathieu...only Blake Wheeler gets to dictate how, and how much he's deployed.

Among Jets forwards: 12th in 5v5 TOI/GP, 7th in CF%, 4th in GF%, 1st in xGF%, 1st in SCF%, 1st in HDCF%, 11th in OZ starts...another fine player chased away by PoMo.
what id like to see is his stats compared while playing in the top 6 versus the bottom 6, i bet theyre drastically different, easy to have good stats playing against inferior competition.

must we always try and blame Maurice for everything?

you dont need stats to know he was no longer a top 6 player but a good still a very good bottom 6 player.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

It's a fair point. But who in our top 9 would you have bumped down to the 4th line to put Perreault up higher?

While I agree with your high praise of Perreault, I also thought his injury proneness, plus tendency to take penalties when tired made his use on the 4th line more excusable. It will also be interesting to see if his usage is any different on the Habs, since they're stacked with wingers.

Reactions: Skidooboy

Potential

Nov 11, 2017

To me, Perreault wanting to finish his career in his home province seems the most likely, given that the Jets seemed to really like him, are typically loyal to long-term players, and what he signed for was a bargain.

Always liked Perreault - super underrated player with great hands and vision. He always did what was asked with no questions and had a great team-first attitude. It was a luxury for us to have him on the fourth line.

Mathieu, bonne chance.

Nous nous souviendrons...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Habs roll 4 lines hard....but also have a log jam of wingers.

This may turn out to be a very good idea that can't be executed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad