Player Discussion: Mathieu Perreault

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Eventually you need to move on and get younger. Appreciate what Perreault brought in his time here but it was time to move on.

Perreault was solid last season for sure but injuries and untimely penalties. I also figured when he skipped the year end interviews that he was basically done then. Likely Jets didn't make him an offer and I'm good with that

Reactions: GNP

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If he was looking for a bigger role then maybe he had no choice but to move on. Also, he was still affective but no where near the player he was when he signed his last contract.

Good luck.

Is that the jersey he wore as a kid?

Last edited:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I wish him well. Always played hard no matter the role he was asked. Great guy to have on a team in the bottom six for young players to learn from his work ethic.

He'll finish his career with his childhood favorite team. Canadiens fans will appreciate him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He wasn't playing top 6 without injuries, and the Lowry, Copp, and Appleton line was a great 3rd line. It's hard to fault Maurice for being honest.
Lowry-Copp-Appleton (287:40 TOI 5v5 last season) had a 42.89 CF%, 45.45 GF%, 40.81 xGF%, 39.55 SCF%, 37.50 HDCF%. I think there may have been some room for improvement.

IN FACT...

When Perreault was on with Lowry and Appleton (174:22 TOI):
55.08 CF%, 72.73 GF%, 58.96 xGF%, 62.79 SCF%, 60.98 HDCF%...now that's an elite 3rd line!

But I guess we cAN't bLaMe MaURicE... :laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
And when we lost 4th Line Jesus? Perreault adopted the man's flow and beard like Patroclus donning Achilles's armor.

images

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Perreault's supposed fragility is largely overblown too. Or at least, I don't hear it about Lowry, who's played 33 fewer games than Perreault over the last 4 seasons. You'd have to go all the way back to 2016-17 (5 seasons ago - Laine's rookie year) to find the last time Lowry played a full season (and that's also the last time he played more games that Perreault).

Reactions: Jack7222

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Perreault's supposed fragility is largely overblown too. Or at least, I don't hear it about Lowry, who's played 33 fewer games than Perreault over the last 4 seasons. You'd have to go all the way back to 2016-17 (5 seasons ago - Laine's rookie year) to find the last time Lowry played a full season (and that's also the last time he played more games that Perreault).
But Lowry is more physical.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
But Lowry is more physical.

And younger and a member of the Jets core group. Bottom line the comparison to Lowry is ridiculous. Lowry is an elite shutdown center who also happens to be a leader

Perreault is a vet likely with 1 yr left.

Sometimes ppl need to stop pretending narratives exist and maybe realize.. hey maybe just maybe MP chose Montreal instead. Why? Cuz he's always wanted to play for them. It's a 1 year deal. He's at the end of his career now

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Aw man, this is a hard one to lose. I was hoping he'd retire as a Jet. But he seems really excited to play in Montreal, so let's hope he has a mediocre season but soaks in the fandom there.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
perreault's comments were a little bit funny. wasn't happy with how many minutes he got last couple seasons. then he was asked if related to that did montreal promise him more minutes and he said "no, it depends how i play and i might be in and out of the lineup." lol.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
100% less physical when he's out of the lineup, though...
No but if a player is throwing their weight around more and being physically imposing hard to say he’s more or equally fragile as Perrault who never threw thunderous hits.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
If he was looking for a bigger role then maybe he had no choice but to move on. Also, he was still affective but no where near the player he was when he signed his last contract.

Good luck.

No, I think thats the Jersey they assign to players in the press box ;)

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Sorry, Mathieu...only Blake Wheeler gets to dictate how, and how much he's deployed.

Among Jets forwards: 12th in 5v5 TOI/GP, 7th in CF%, 4th in GF%, 1st in xGF%, 1st in SCF%, 1st in HDCF%, 11th in OZ starts...another fine player chased away by PoMo.

Wow. Those stats make me sad. Good for him to look for a bit better opportunity somewhere else to close out his career.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It’s awesome to see all the love for Frenchie here. I’m sure he was just as well liked in the dressing room as well.
He even spoke up occasionally which maybe gave us a bit of insight into the room.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

Good luck.

no, he fits in that

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Lowry-Copp-Appleton (287:40 TOI 5v5 last season) had a 42.89 CF%, 45.45 GF%, 40.81 xGF%, 39.55 SCF%, 37.50 HDCF%. I think there may have been some room for improvement.

IN FACT...

When Perreault was on with Lowry and Appleton (174:22 TOI):
55.08 CF%, 72.73 GF%, 58.96 xGF%, 62.79 SCF%, 60.98 HDCF%...now that's an elite 3rd line!

But I guess we cAN't bLaMe MaURicE... :laugh:
Classic Hf boards 3 game sample size

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Because they're going to pay someone else less skilled the same amount?
Turns out he didn't like the minutes he was getting.
He will likely get similar or less minutes with the Habs. So, there is that…..

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Actually, I thought MP was pretty physical. Threw his body around with reckless abandon at times. This may have caused at least some of his injuries. Lowery's much bigger body would be able to handle the punishment better, I would think.

Anyway, will really miss Mathieu. He added a lot of character to the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1