Player Discussion: Mathieu Perreault

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I couldn't find a dedicated thread for Perreault, so I thought I'd kick one off.

So, right now he's playing with Armia and Ehlers. They had a very good game together. It occurred to me that Perreault is the perfect guy to play with young rookies, because there's nobody on the Jets (except maybe Wheeler) who plays as hard and energetic every game. For a smaller guy, it always amazes me the tenacity and success with which he'll fight along the boards and play in the dirty areas for the puck. That play style is contagious. And I want our rookies to see that's what it takes to play in the NHL. He also talks a lot with his line mates - again, good for rookies.

This may be particularly important for Armia and Ehlers, who both seem to have a wide range between being engaged and sitting back in any particular game. Armia has been good for the Jets since called up, but that's his "rep" historically. Ehlers similarly goes from highlight reel to sometimes nearly invisible between games.

The other thing I wanted to say about Perreault is that I fully consider him a part of the Jets core. I think he is sometimes overlooked. Maybe because he isn't part of the Atlanta core. Maybe because he wasn't drafted by the Jets. But neither of those things matter. What matters is contribution to the team, as well as factors like age. I hope Perreault is a Jet for a long time to come. I love the combination of tenacity, skill, creativity, and energy he brings to the club.

His 4 goal night was probably my favorite Jets moment of all time. Playoffs were close, but we'll have to win a game for it to solidify top Jets moment spot.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I love Perreault - tenacious, frenetic and feisty, PLUS he's got an incredibly good shot when he uses it. Sees the ice really well, and is always hard on the forecheck. Maurice espouses being difficult to play against by always being on the puck, and Perreault demonstrates that you don't have to be a lumbering giant to play that style.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
He's a UFA after next season. Might be difficult to keep him. I think the plan is for Petan to eventually replace him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Third in scoring on the Jets and on pace for 53 points. Frenchy hasn't missed a game all year. He's a great player and if he had size, would be as good as any power forward in the league. Good skater that finishes every check and knows the meaning of forecheck. Excellent playmaker and the puck is like it is on a string when he is stickhandling. He is very smart and could easily quarterback a powerplay. Has a world class wrist shot that is really accurate. Maurice has used him in varying roles from 1st line to 3rd and he excels at all. Just a great player at a great price for an UFA.
He should get at least 17m over 4 years his next contract. Maybe 20m over 5?

Derfel*

He's a UFA after next season. Might be difficult to keep him. I think the plan is for Petan to eventually replace him.

I don't think we'll see him after that in a Jets jersey, but we have some time left to enjoy.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Perreault is indeed, a great hockey player. I think he re-signs the moment that window opens. He'll be one of the 'vets' moving forward.

IMO he brings more to the table than another similar player that moved out West. Mathieu will probably come cheaper, and 'apparently' loves the city also.
Mutual admiration equals a win-win situation.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Need to sign him and pay him like a good second line player who you can count on for about 65 games per season. Dude is one of my favourite Jets. He is so tenacious and so skilled. Wellwood and Matty P were both incredible value signings.

:handclap: to Chevy for this one.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I forgot to say, if Petan turns into the player MP is, nobody should be complaining. I'd say that is his ceiling.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think we'll see him after that in a Jets jersey, but we have some time left to enjoy.

Agree with most of what has been said here but I fear you are right Derf. He'll be 29 when his contract expires so I don't see him getting any long term offers from the Jets. Maybe in the next year and a half he can cement himself into a 'core' position but I'm not sure he is fully valued by the org.

Hope we're wrong. 3x4 would be good term and value. I doubt he maintains his energy past about 32.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Are you able to extend a player and up their salary in the last year of their contract if so I would give MP an extension and up his salary next year in order to lower his cap hit for the following years of the deal.We may have some extra money kicking around next year but after that is when we will need to start watching our spending.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Are you able to extend a player and up their salary in the last year of their contract if so I would give MP an extension and up his salary next year in order to lower his cap hit for the following years of the deal.We may have some extra money kicking around next year but after that is when we will need to start watching our spending.

Extensions cannot have any effect on contracts already in place. I think you can do NTCs though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think whether the Jets look to retain him will depend on a couple of things:

1) What is our LW depth at the end of next year.
If Ladd gets moved then we still would have a spot for him depending on the development of Conner and Petan.

2) What his demands are, if he`s open to another 3 or 4 year deal than the Jets might look to keep him.

Derfel*

Need to sign him and pay him like a good second line player who you can count on for about 65 games per season. Dude is one of my favourite Jets. He is so tenacious and so skilled. Wellwood and Matty P were both incredible value signings.

:handclap: to Chevy for this one.

So he's like E. Kane, except you can get a dozen more games out of him and a better attitude? :snide:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad