Marty St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
SBOB, understood. Except for 1994, imagine my pain watching this team for 53 years with season tickets for 27 of those years. I have lived through some rather dark years.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
MSL will be re-signed. It will cost us another player of far greater value, he will continue to play on 1st PP on what i'm predicting to be bottom 5 in the league next year, he will continue to "lead" this team by being the worst forward on the ice for large stretches of time. Classic Ranger move for a declining has been along with his Tampa country club buddy boyle. Get these old men the **** out.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To me, it is not about Callahan winning the Cup and MSL not winning the Cup. Obviously, teammates and not individuals win or lose the prize. I just can't understand giving away two first rounders in the trade. I could not rationalize the trade then nor now.
Please do not tell me about all our third round gems. Just imagine haven two more valuable assets given the way we do draft. MSL was only coming to us. Why throw in the draft choices?
Oh, bathgate......you know how I feel about this. Just getting riled up about the trade again.

Turn out the lights. The MSL party is over. Wish it was not the case, but it is. And those lost picks are going to hurt.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Bathgate, the math never made sense in that trade, unless you subscribed to the idea that the market was low on talent and experience come last years deadline. That should have driven up the price, but another first seemed excessive.

And yes, losing first rounders year after year is a dangerous game, Kevin Hayes and good drafting in the 3rd round make up for it, but not totally, assets are assets.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And yes, losing first rounders year after year is a dangerous game, Kevin Hayes and good drafting in the 3rd round make up for it, but not totally, assets are assets.
The way that I look at it is that mitigates the effect. It never nullifies the effect. 4 years with no 1st rounders is painful.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Bathgate, the math never made sense in that trade, unless you subscribed to the idea that the market was low on talent and experience come last years deadline. That should have driven up the price, but another first seemed excessive.

I'll still never understand: who was Sather bidding against?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The way that I look at it is that mitigates the effect. It never nullifies the effect. 4 years with no 1st rounders is painful.

Agreed. Hayes and Buchnevich are going to have to be elite players in this league to even come close to nullifying the loss of those picks. God help us if any of the guys in the range where we would have picked end up being elite talents in their own right.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Not sure what Zuccarello has to do with this.

Zuccarello has everything to do with this. If he's in his normal spot with Brassard and Nash, I doubt they're struggling to create offense.

The fact is MSL was brought in to be a big piece of this team — not a third liner who needs favorable match ups.

I'm not disputing this, but MSL is what he is at this point. You don't give a player more responsibility and tougher minutes than he's suited for just because you brought him in to fill that role. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

He's not scoring goals, he's not making his linemates better. I don't actually see all that much leadership out of him.

No disagreement here.

That you are even suggesting that he needs all these things

He does need all those things. I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Just curious, how does the trade look if MSL and the Rangers fail to win a Cup but Callahan and the Lightning do?

The trade was already a bad one, but Callahan was a goner with his demands anyway. Callahan also completely disappears in the playoffs, so if TBL wins, it will be in spite of him. It won't bother me one bit.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
Oh, bathgate......you know how I feel about this. Just getting riled up about the trade again.

Turn out the lights. The MSL party is over. Wish it was not the case, but it is. And those lost picks are going to hurt.

Okay, I will rile you up.After 27 years of loyalty and season tickets, I immediately cancelled my subscription the day Redden was signed. Sather always reverts to obtaining the aging star in decline(MSL) or the named player at the deadline(Yandle) to make a splash. More fuel for the fire. Back in the day, Edge, you, me, I believe SBOB all wanted Tarasenko. Imagine him on the team last year. Perhaps a Cup. Certainly no trade for MSL as Tarasenko does play the right side. Although Gordie Clark has done a good job, a monumental whiff on that draft.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Okay, I will rile you up.After 27 years of loyalty and season tickets, I immediately cancelled my subscription the day Redden was signed. Sather always reverts to obtaining the aging star in decline(MSL) or the named player at the deadline(Yandle) to make a splash. More fuel for the fire. Back in the day, Edge, you, me, I believe SBOB all wanted Tarasenko. Imagine him on the team last year. Perhaps a Cup. Certainly no trade for MSL as Tarasenko does play the right side. Although Gordie Clark has done a good job, a monumental whiff on that draft.

We did miss on that draft but things can not be looked at in a vacuum. It would be great to have Taresenko but how many playoff series has Taresenko won as great as he has played? I think the answer is 0? Our team must be doing something right since we have probably won as many playoff series as anyone in the last 4 seasons.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We did miss on that draft but things can not be looked at in a vacuum. It would be great to have Taresenko but how many playoff series has Taresenko won as great as he has played? I think the answer is 0? Our team must be doing something right since we have probably won as many playoff series as anyone in the last 4 seasons.

Whatever you are trying to say, I don't get it.

We did it without McI or Tara. In any case we have been/ still are weak on RW and Tara would have been exactly what we needed. The D pool wasn't deep either though at that time. Issues we had was toughness and scoring, they went with the toughness pick ... can't change it now anyhow. But Tara would be the **** on this team, no question about it.

And we could have won 10 series more than any other team, the Cup is the only thing that matters. And Tara would have helped us more than McI has so far, but hopefully he will at some point ...

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005

I understand your point. Teams not individuals win games. However, three points:
1) As good as Gordie Clark has been, we missed a generational talent. Our amateur drafters on this board begged to draft Tarasenko
2) Given his body of work to date, especially in this year's playoffs, perhaps he scores a goal in last year's overtimes to swing the momentum and at least extend the playoffs
3) As a first line winger and big body, we match up much better against Washington, Anaheim and all other big teams. Further, we retain all first rounders given for MSL

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Whatever you are trying to say, I don't get it.

We did it without McI or Tara. In any case we have been/ still are weak on RW and Tara would have been exactly what we needed. The D pool wasn't deep either though at that time. Issues we had was toughness and scoring, they went with the toughness pick ... can't change it now anyhow. But Tara would be the **** on this team, no question about it.

And we could have won 10 series more than any other team, the Cup is the only thing that matters. And Tara would have helped us more than McI has so far, but hopefully he will at some point ...

I'm saying you can not only look at a mistake in a vacuum since all teams have positive moves and negative moves. I have to look at the total package of winners and losers not just 1 draft. When looking at the total package I see few teams that have had our success in recent years. Only the Kings and Blackhawks have had more success. St. Louis made a good draft pick after many teams passed but that has not translated in to any playoff series wins.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Ok, I get what you're saying now. But looking at our drafts, signings and trades of the last 4 years, it's starting to make my blood boyle, because it's a neutralizing situation. For every good move we make, we end up making a ****ed up **** move that forces us to make another adjustment.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Such a big fan of his throughout his career and it sucks to see him so bad right now. He just doesn't have the legs anymore as everyone else is so much bigger than he is. He gets muscled off of everything.

I missed the majority of yesterday's game, and his breakaway wasn't really a true breakaway as a defender was closing in on him and rushed his shot. We all know from watching him that he would have been destroyed had he held onto the puck any longer. Wish it trickled in or he tried to shoot five hole or something.

I'm surprised at how bad he is on the PP too. When we first got him last year he made some passes that just made you drop your jaw. With time and some space on the PP, he's not able to do anything.

He needs to go back to the third line.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The trade was already a bad one, but Callahan was a goner with his demands anyway. Callahan also completely disappears in the playoffs, so if TBL wins, it will be in spite of him. It won't bother me one bit.

This rhetoric is way overblown. Cally's offense drops in the playoffs - honestly, not that surprising since he's never been a "take charge" offensive player - but he's absolutely a valuable member of any playoff team with his characteristic energy and shot blocking. Ask Tampa fans how well they think he's playing for them right now.

Ranger Angst

May 3, 2009
Montreal

Well glad to see someone shares my opinion on that trade. However ,we're a minority on these boards.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Agreed. Hayes and Buchnevich are going to have to be elite players in this league to even come close to nullifying the loss of those picks. God help us if any of the guys in the range where we would have picked end up being elite talents in their own right.

Anyone else find it funny that both of our picks that went to Tampa have been essentially traded to NYI (Joshua Ho-Sang) and the Flyers (Coburn trade).

Hated this trade when it happened and hate it today. Callahan and the 2014 1st should have been enough for a 38 year old winger (albeit all star) who would come here and only here. Sather whiffed (again).

Like a previous poster said with Sather it is essentially one step forward, one step back. For every good move he makes, he makes a **** move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad