Marty St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Anyone else find it funny that both of our picks that went to Tampa have been essentially traded to NYI (Joshua Ho-Sang) and the Flyers (Coburn trade).

Hated this trade when it happened and hate it today. Callahan and the 2014 1st should have been enough for a 38 year old winger (albeit all star) who would come here and only here. Sather whiffed (again).

Like a previous poster said with Sather it is essentially one step forward, one step back. For every good move he makes, he makes a **** move.

Wrong. He was under contract in Tampa and would have stayed there if Y didn't get an offer he liked. MSL wasn't pouting and refusing to play right before he was dealt, he was actually tearing it up. In the seven games leading up to the trade he scored 4 goals and added 4 assists. 8 points in 7 games. He could have stayed in Tampa. It was a trade request, not a trade demand.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Like I said last year when we got him, we way overpaid for him. He gave us a few moments last year, but he is just a shell of himself. Not worth the picks we gave up. This guy does nothing out there, sees he is about to get hit and throws the puck away.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Lightning fan here. I'm curious do you think they will resign him? Personally I think he should retire. I don't think he will though. Too much pride in that little body. Also don't see him taking less than 3 mil. Do you guys let him walk or sign him?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Lightning fan here. I'm curious do you think they will resign him? Personally I think he should retire. I don't think he will though. Too much pride in that little body. Also don't see him taking less than 3 mil. Do you guys let him walk or sign him?

If he's playing next year he's taking less than 1M

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I don't think he's going to retire and he's in IMPECCABLE shape, but he definitely needs some tool refining because he's not what he once was.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
His production has gone down considerably every year since 2010-2011. Not sure why people keep harping on his conditioning.

I totally understand that and I agree with you. But, if you're in that kind of conditioning, and not Dan Boyle conditioning, I think all that needs to be done is for him to refine his weaponry, additional training over the summer on his areas of weakness... The guy can still pedal to the medal, no doubt about it, but he doesn't produce as much as he once did.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I totally understand that and I agree with you. But, if you're in that kind of conditioning, and not Dan Boyle conditioning, I think all that needs to be done is for him to refine his weaponry, additional training over the summer on his areas of weakness... The guy can still pedal to the medal, no doubt about it, but he doesn't produce as much as he once did.
His conditioning has not been helping his this year. Or frankly, did a lot to help him last year.

You can be 25 years old and in great shape. Or you can be 40 years old and in great shape. The latter is not quite the same as the former.

MSL was and is in very good shape. Terrific. He was also a depreciating asset on the day that he was acquired and continues to be one now. And no amount of pushing prowlers will change that.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
What exactly does this mean?

No training can make you bigger and younger.

He borderline breakway in Game 3 shows otherwise.

He will need to train on areas of weakness. If you ask me what his weaknesses are, I would say holding onto the puck now and even making great plays in the offensive zone. Maybe he has to revisit some techniques, practicing his angles, mimic game time situations, etc.

Training does get you bigger... If you're talking about height advantage, well there's nothing anyone can do about that. But, he doesn't need to get bigger, he played in an era that was *MUCH* tougher on the body than it is today, so not really too concerned at all. Being as small as he is can work as an advantage on bigger defenseman, especially if you're agile (and he is).

He also compliments the Rangers system, a speedy, shifty guy. This has been his worse season yet though - I believe in bounce back years, just tough because he's fairly old now, but since he's in amazing shape, I don't doubt it one bit.

Rangers live for those break out passes, and MSL can't finish in those situations which is beyond sad. A legend whose scored more than 1,000 points, can't finish when it counts.

If you think any or all of this is frustrating, think about what we gave up for the guy. I highly doubt he walks or isn't resigned by the Rangers, at around half of what he makes now.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He will need to train on areas of weakness. If you ask me what his weaknesses are, I would say holding onto the puck now and even making great plays in the offensive zone. Maybe he has to revisit some techniques, practicing his angles, mimic game time situations, etc.

Training does get you bigger... If you're talking about height advantage, well there's nothing anyone can do about that. But, he doesn't need to get bigger, he played in an era that was *MUCH* tougher on the body than it is today, so not really too concerned at all. Being as small as he is can work as an advantage on bigger defenseman, especially if you're agile (and he is).

He also compliments the Rangers system, a speedy, shifty guy. This has been his worse season yet though - I believe in bounce back years, just tough because he's fairly old now, but since he's in amazing shape, I don't doubt it one bit.

Rangers live for those break out passes, and MSL can't finish in those situations which is beyond sad. A legend whose scored more than 1,000 points, can't finish when it counts.

If you think any or all of this is frustrating, think about what we gave up for the guy. I highly doubt he walks or isn't resigned by the Rangers, at around half of what he makes now.

Sorry man, but there's just a ton of conjecture in your response. St. Louis has been a finesse player throughout his career. His skill has deteriorated. Conditioning doesn't make up for that. His weakness is he's he'll be 40 next month.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Sorry man, but there's just a ton of conjecture in your response. St. Louis has been a finesse player throughout his career. His skill has deteriorated. Conditioning doesn't make up for that. His weakness is he's he'll be 40 next month.

This sucks, but it's the truth. There isn't a perpetual motion machine.

His top speed gear is gone, and his accuracy is a bit off. He used to be deadly from the far side near the goal line.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY

No need to apologize, this is a discussion. And I will agree that conditioning isn't the sole reason why he's not as skilled, but conditioning is also essential to do anything in this league, especially the way the Rangers play.

It's gonna be tough to find another skilled winger who can create plays or increase goal production at a good price... Let's say MSL signs for $2.5M, what other players in the league would be comparable to that price tag, and have a skill set that would exceed the Rangers expectations? I know there's a few, any names in particular that come to mind?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In the entire history of the NHL, how many 40 year olds can you point to so that your argument puts some more meat on the bone?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
St Louis played worse the longer the regular season continued and is absolutely invisible during these playoffs. The main story of basically any old UFA - way past their prime - that Sather overpaid to get here.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
No need to apologize, this is a discussion. And I will agree that conditioning isn't the sole reason why he's not as skilled, but conditioning is also essential to do anything in this league, especially the way the Rangers play.

It's gonna be tough to find another skilled winger who can create plays or increase goal production at a good price... Let's say MSL signs for $2.5M, what other players in the league would be comparable to that price tag, and have a skill set that would exceed the Rangers expectations? I know there's a few, any names in particular that come to mind?

Fast? Miller? The reality is the young Rangers wingers are going to push for more time and the cap being what it is Marty should be gone and replaced from within so the Rangers can sign more important players.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
MSL is what he is at this point - a nearly 40 year old winger who brings some scoring, character and experience to his club.

He's a solid offensive player, but he's not a game changer anymore, nor should he be expected to carry a team.

He's got another contract in him, but nowhere near what he's making now.

As for the trade, I always felt it was a very steep price for an older player who benefitted greatly from playing on a team that masked his flaws and accentuated his strengths.

However, I understand where the trade was coming from. The window on this group of players is beginning to close and Sather went for it.

NJBlueShirt

Jan 12, 2013
NJ
MSL needs to hang 'em up. He is awful. Missed one of the easiest scoring opportunities of the year in a do or die game.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
MSL needs to hang 'em up. He is awful. Missed one of the easiest scoring opportunities of the year in a do or die game.

That and then due to personal frustration he took an incredibly selfish penalty. I'm tired of him. Makes no sense why JT isn't on that line and MSL either riding pine or on the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad