Marty St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Msl at a low contract is worth it. Leadership still matters. The guys clearly look up o him.

You are right that leadership matters but if guys are honest they would admit they respect leadership by actions more than just talk. Anyone can talk the talk. Hockey players that make it to this level are not dumb. They see who actually walks the walk on the ice.

When Girardi sacrifices his body and takes so much pain that is what guys will respect. When guys take a hit to make a pass that is what guys respect. When guys skate their butts off to get back on defense and actually engage the other team that is what guys will respect. When a guy goes in to the corner with a bigger guy or two guys and fights non stop to get the puck that is what guys respect.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
You are right that leadership matters but if guys are honest they would admit they respect leadership by actions more than just talk. Anyone can talk the talk. Hockey players that make it to this level are not dumb. They see who actually walks the walk on the ice.

When Girardi sacrifices his body and takes so much pain that is what guys will respect. When guys take a hit to make a pass that is what guys respect. When guys skate their butts off to get back on defense and actually engage the other team that is what guys will respect. When a guy goes in to the corner with a bigger guy or two guys and fights non stop to get the puck that is what guys respect.

i could, with real sources to back it up, elaborate quite a bit here. But will not for the sake of keeping my confidentiality intact. Let's just win 11 more games this year, let Marty retire in a blaze of glory and have Dan Boyle accept a trade back to Tampa in the post parade euphoria...

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island

Let's not act like he hasn't been an all star throughout his entire career here. Even though he isn't nearly the player he used to be, and it's clear he's lost a major step since last year, everyone looks up to him for what he's done in the past even though he's not playing well now.

Ideal situation is to obviously win the Cup and he retires. What do we do if that doesn't happen though... Tough choice. I love MSL but you have to keep Hags over him no doubt. Only way you bring him back is if he comes dirt cheap.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Let's not act like he hasn't been an all star throughout his entire career here. Even though he isn't nearly the player he used to be, and it's clear he's lost a major step since last year, everyone looks up to him for what he's done in the past even though he's not playing well now.

Ideal situation is to obviously win the Cup and he retires. What do we do if that doesn't happen though... Tough choice. I love MSL but you have to keep Hags over him no doubt. Only way you bring him back is if he comes dirt cheap.

The guy is a future HOFer who has made a ton of money over his very long career. His family is here, he wants to be here - he demanded a trade specifically to us. I see no scenario where he isn't back here, unless he retires which at this point I don't find likely. And I doubt it's at the expense of Hags or anyone else. If the guy was looking to chase the money he wouldn't have signed a team-friendly deal like he did last time he re-uppped with Tampa.

I find this poll option "let him walk" crazy, because that implies he has any interest in walking. The guy is going to be 40 years old next year, he just forced a trade here and has said he wants to retire here. He has no interest in "walking" anywhere.

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
i could, with real sources to back it up, elaborate quite a bit here. But will not for the sake of keeping my confidentiality intact. Let's just win 11 more games this year, let Marty retire in a blaze of glory and have Dan Boyle accept a trade back to Tampa in the post parade euphoria...

What a tease! At least spill some of the beans!! Are you saying that the guys do or do not respect Marty?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What a tease! At least spill some of the beans!! Are you saying that the guys do or do not respect Marty?

I'm sure they easily respect Marty. Regardless of his storied and future HOF career, the guy is always on the ice practicing hard and offering help to younger players. He's definitely a good guy in the locker room.

NJBlueShirt

Jan 12, 2013
NJ
Marty is an absolute liability on the ice. He is slow, extremely soft, and can't finish anymore. If I see him fan on another shot, I will lose my mind.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I thought he had one of his better games today. But again, that's comparing him with how he's played all season. Still not good enough for this team to go all the way.

But for today at least, there were several bigger issues than MSL's play.

NJBlueShirt

Jan 12, 2013
NJ
I thought he had one of his better games today. But again, that's comparing him with how he's played all season. Still not good enough for this team to go all the way.

But for today at least, there were several bigger issues than MSL's play.
Him not even creating a decent scoring chance from a breakaway was a pretty big issue. That might have been the difference between winning and losing. You need to score there especially in the playoffs, or at the very least force the goalie make a spectacular save. MSL just shot it at his chest. Holtby didn't even have to move, it was a complete waste and complete momentum builder for the Caps.

mc87yanks

Mar 14, 2007
MSL has 0 PP Points in his last 38 games. How is he getting any Power Play time, let along 1st Unit minutes?

He's been terrible the entire season. Hopefully AV swaps him and Miller to try to get something going tomorrow night. MSL has been an anchor on that line and this entire team.

This is one of the rare cases that both the eye test and the advanced stats say exactly the same thing, and that is that Marty is done.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yeah, don't see MSL getting signed by the NYR unless they're idiots.

Unfortunately, aside from maybe Lindberg, I don't see a guy that the Rangers can plug in there to take his place that they can trust. MSL isn't helping the team, he's a liability.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The loss of Zuccarello really screwed this team.

MSL needs to be on the third line, getting favorable matchups and zone starts.

Instead, we're stuck with him on the first line, once again crippling his linemates with his inability to maintain puck possession.

He does nothing on the PP. Miller looked far better playing Marty's halfboard spot on the PP while he was injured.

I'm praying we don't re-sign him next season. He's a sure fire hall of famer, but that doesn't mean our team owes him anything. Win or lose, Sather needs to send him off into the sunset.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I think I've gotta give up on MSL. He's going down the Selanne path now. Selanne was also productive before he fell off a cliff towards the end. Notice how Marty, despite being a tremendous passer his entire career, can no longer set anybody up, ever? He just can't give himself the space to make passes anymore so everything he does is rushed.

Also, take him off the PP. Vignault, who I thought was very aggressive in terms of shifting personnel on the PP when he started here, has now basically "locked" guys into their PP spots despite what the results are on the ice. We're better off with Hagelin in that spot.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The loss of Zuccarello really screwed this team.

MSL needs to be on the third line, getting favorable matchups and zone starts.

Instead, we're stuck with him on the first line, once again crippling his linemates with his inability to maintain puck possession.

He does nothing on the PP. Miller looked far better playing Marty's halfboard spot on the PP while he was injured.

I'm praying we don't re-sign him next season. He's a sure fire hall of famer, but that doesn't mean our team owes him anything. Win or lose, Sather needs to send him off into the sunset.

Not sure what Zuccarello has to do with this. The fact is MSL was brought in to be a big piece of this team — not a third liner who needs favorable match ups. He's not scoring goals, he's not making his linemates better. I don't actually see all that much leadership out of him.

That you are even suggesting that he needs all these things

Just curious, how does the trade look if MSL and the Rangers fail to win a Cup but Callahan and the Lightning do?

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005
To me, it is not about Callahan winning the Cup and MSL not winning the Cup. Obviously, teammates and not individuals win or lose the prize. I just can't understand giving away two first rounders in the trade. I could not rationalize the trade then nor now.
Please do not tell me about all our third round gems. Just imagine haven two more valuable assets given the way we do draft. MSL was only coming to us. Why throw in the draft choices?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
To me, it is not about Callahan winning the Cup and MSL not winning the Cup. Obviously, teammates and not individuals win or lose the prize. I just can't understand giving away two first rounders in the trade. I could not rationalize the trade then nor now.
Please do not tell me about all our third round gems. Just imagine haven two more valuable assets given the way we do draft. MSL was only coming to us. Why throw in the draft choices?

I completely agree. I'm just being snarky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad