Marty St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
St Louis played worse the longer the regular season continued and is absolutely invisible during these playoffs.

100 % disagree. He's been very visible in this Caps series. It certainly seems like he has been one of the players on the Rangers with the highest number of prime scoring opportunities that he has either flubbed or failed to convert. Definitely visible for that reason. Not necessarily for the right reasons.... But very visible none-the-less.

Note: I'm also not saying he is creating the chances for the most part; but I guess if we want to look for positives -- he is at least putting himself in the right positions to be the beneficiary of those chances I guess... Guy needs to ****in bury some next game. Can't keep missing.

Obviously so does Nash, but its at the point where I just don't expect it from him, no matter how he plays.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
This guy can kill a rush or lose momentum like nobody's business. 3 on 1? Sure... pass to Marty and he'll fumble the puck at the blue line and send the play off side or fall over his own feet. He's killing me. And the few times he does get in a good shooting position, he flubs the shot or hits the goalie in the logo.

I just don't get it. 2 seasons ago this guy won the scoring title. Before the trade to NYR he was point per game with no Stamkos. How does he just fall off the cliff to the point that he looks like a 18 year old kid trying to get keep up in the NHL? If his name isn't Martin St. Louis, he'd be sitting on the bench, not getting top line and 1st PP minutes.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He has not retired yet - I believe in him!
Let's go Marty!! :)

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It's mothers day. You can bet your ass he's scoring today!

Well i really hope he does, at least. Not just for NYR win purposes.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He has not retired yet - I believe in him!
Let's go Marty!! :)

It's mothers day. You can bet your ass he's scoring today!

Well i really hope he does, at least. Not just for NYR win purposes.

I hope he can pull something out of the proverbial hat on the fumes that are left in the tank because the team needs him to do that to advance.

If he can work some magic to help take a most likely very tough to win Game 6, I firmly believe the Rangers will win Game 7 at MSG.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I hope he can pull something out of the proverbial hat on the fumes that are left in the tank because the team needs him to do that to advance.

If he can work some magic to help take a most likely very tough to win Game 6, I firmly believe the Rangers will win Game 7 at MSG.

Yeah man... give us Marty's Last Stand for game 6 and 7 this series and he can disappear again next round. :yo:

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
IMO, the decision is to let him walk and use his salary to lock up Hagelin/Kreider. MSL has been invisible half the time. His biggest asset is his goal-scoring ability, and he hasn't finished at all so far in the playoffs. In that sense, he's been a liability.

I love what he did last year. One of the most noticeable forwards through all four rounds, but time has really gotten to him this year. He can't do the grind for 82 + the spring anymore.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Serious question, I was at work last night so I didn't see the whole game but bounced around from tv to radio. Did Marty play last night? I can't remember hearing his name said once, he's been brutal.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Scratch that, just saw highlights and he had an assist on the Nash goal so yeah he was in the building

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He'll need to take a massive discount to be worth keeping around.

I'm really disappointed with his play this season. I was also very wrong, apparently, about how much he had left in the tank. I wasn't necessarily expecting him to be a PPG player for the next couple years, but I thought he had enough left to be a viable top-line option. Regardless of the points he put up in the regular season, he has been a total non-factor for a couple of months.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I just don't get it. 2 seasons ago this guy won the scoring title. Before the trade to NYR he was point per game with no Stamkos. How does he just fall off the cliff to the point that he looks like a 18 year old kid trying to get keep up in the NHL? If his name isn't Martin St. Louis, he'd be sitting on the bench, not getting top line and 1st PP minutes.

He turns 40 next month. It's called falling off a cliff. He fell off and there is no coming back. He is a hall of fame player and I love what he brought last season, but he is a big problem for us right now.

No way in hell is he coming back to the Rangers next season. I wish him the best in his retirement and congratulate him on his exceptional career.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No matter how people want to laud his conditioning, he is on the wrong side for the age bell curve for athletes. He was a depreciating asset when he was acquired. Unfortunately, his depreciation has greatly accelerated.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Pretty simple. If you were Glen Sather, do you let MSL walk, or try to re-sign him? Lets assume that he'll be fair about his contract, and won't ask for any more than 4 million (whether that'll be a bonus-ladden deal, or year by year, will not be known).

Raspewtin, I think you should make a new poll because in January the thought of MSL for 1 mil next year wasn't a terrible idea. Right now even if he was to pay me and the Rangers next year I wouldn't want him.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Really the only way I consider bringing him back, is if he signs in like January or something, and our tried options aren't working out as planned. It's abundantly clear he can no longer handle 82 games + playoffs.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I was finally ready to vote.
Voted 'Let him walk' which is not accurate, as he is not looking for another team.
I like MSL but I am so completely convinced now that he no longer can make the same impact as he used to.
It's really quite clear to me now. I also have trouble with the 'good in the room' or the 'leadership' angle. The Rangers should already have enough of that. What happens on the ice is SUPREMELY important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad