Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Notice how there are no threads like this for Rantanen (who everyone says is better than Marner), or Point (who people say is better than Matthews).

It's because people can claim they hate the leafs, but you eat this **** up. So they keep printing it, and you all swarm to it like a moth to a flame, laughing at the Leafs and such.

And then they keep talking about the Leafs, and you guys are like "Screw TSN/ Sportsnet! It's all Leaf talk!"... Well no **** it's all Leaf talk. They aren't pandering to Leaf fans, half the takes are terrible and that is pandering to NON Leaf fans who eat up this drama.

Like I said, no one thinks Marner is worth that deal. Maybe in years 6 or 7 he is worth it, but when you have JT in his prime, Matthews and Nylander signed for 5 more years, you need him to be worth it now, not after the window has closed.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out Marner if that's what you want to do. I'm sure some team will celebrate like they got McDavid, and HFboards will not love Marner more than any other player, but at the end of the day, he's a 9M winger who will be massively overpaid.

I hope whoever signs him has a goal scorer to put him with. And I hope the trade for the Leafs solves the defense and cap issues.
So everyone is having a civil conversation and you felt the need to add this whiney bait post, Why?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Honest question...as fans of non-Leafs teams, which of you would be comfortable with your GM offering 12.5 while giving up 4 1sts?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Marner on the Avs would actually be killer...

I wonder if they're confident enough in their already acquired young talent to throw out an offersheet.
I would do it. They have a top first line and some good young pieces on defense in makar and Girard to go with what they already have. I wonder if they would have enough cap to sign a decent 2c cause they're not going to have much left to tease trade for one unless they move ek or barrie.

Reactions: vanarchy

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So everyone is having a civil conversation and you felt the need to add this whiney bait post, Why?

I posted this reading halfway through the thread where there was no civil discussion. But the post is still true even if you want to call it whiny.

You guys eat up Leaf drama and then complain that's all anyone talks about. Best RFA class in years, tons of guys on cap strapped / cash strapped teams, only 1 name keeps coming up who isn't even the best player available.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I would do it. They have a top first line and some good young pieces on defense in makar and Girard to go with what they already have. I wonder if they would have enough cap to sign a decent 2c cause they're not going to have much left to tease trade for one unless they move ek or barrie.
If you sign Marner for 12.5 then Rantanen will want at least 10M. Sounds insane to sign two wingers to 22.5M total.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Honest question...as fans of non-Leafs teams, which of you would be comfortable with your GM offering 12.5 while giving up 4 1sts?
I wouldn't because of where my team is right now. But from say 95 to 12 i would in a heart beat. When you're a contender 1st round picks are currency to improve your chances at a cup not to worry about the future, imo.
If I were Pittsburg or Washington or someone of that breed I'd do whatever it took to clear enough space to take a swing at it.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The bold isn't an issue, but this thread is talking about 12.5 million...he ain't worth that.
Of course that's what he's worth.

Sports in general are now paying players huge salary during their prime years. Look at the ridiculous contracts of McDavid and Drai as examples as to why players fresh out of elcs who have done nothing for their teams are currently commanding top dollar.

AM and Nylander too. I see no Cups, just a lot of cap space used for the hope that one day, with huge contracts tied up into two or three players and a rag tag group behind them they get lucky one year.

As a Hawks fan, I think it's wonderful that you won't see another dynasty like the Hawks during the cap era.

As a hockey fan, I think it's hilarious teams don't hire somebody with a better understanding of how the cap works and how to manage it better. NBA teams field teams of financial advisors just for the cap alone while NHL teams in some instances are allowing some shleb who once played or coached the same responsibility of controlling their future.

This is why nobody should or does take the NHL seriously. The boys club mentality is being taken advantaged of and there's nothing teams can do to stop it.

It's great to see, actually. Next work stoppage we will surely hear about "war chests" being saved up because owners are being made to look like fools by agents who are actually the new Masters of sports in general.

It's refreshing. Put the power in the player, I say. If Marner leaves the Leafs, so be it. The Leafs will have nobody to blame but themselves. They didn't have to go after Tavares, but they did. Now, they can either pay the price for their vapid attempt at selfishness with either losing Marner, which would be a huge blow, or their depth, which would be a laughable blow.

I'm enjoying this. I truly am.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It’s annoying that we can’t have common discussion about anything Leaf related without a bus load of haters talking **** and presenting everything as doom and gloom.

It reflects incredibly poorly yet some have no shame, I guess.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, I already answered earlier in the thread. But I'd be fine with the Pens doing that. The $12.5 million is tough, but Marner's a fantastic player and by about Year 3 of the deal (assuming 8 year deal) it'll probably not look so bad with salary inflation by that time.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I really can't understand why any team would give up 4 1st round picks and $12.5M in cap. Surely you can find 1-2 great UFA players for $12.5M in free agency and retain all of your draft picks.

Toronto should take the 4 1st picks and run if someone is idiotic enough to give up that compensation level.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I am way more comfortable with the 4 1sts than the 12.5 M. Marner is worth 4 1sts easy. My issue is how do I Ice a competitive team if I have a 12.5 M guy. My team already has one 10M+ contract, not sure they can handle 2 of those. Not sure how leafs can handle 3 of those.

Reactions: Liferleafer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This **** makes me laugh. Both Nylander and Matthews had threads just like this one. In those threads, opposing fans were A-OK with their GMs offering Nylander 8-9 million and Matthews a staggering 13-14 million via offersherts. Dubas signs both for less and somehow he overpaid?

Now here we are with the world lining up to offer Marner 12.5.....Dubas will probably sign him for less than that, and the first signing thread will be those same posters screaming about overpayment

Wash....rinse....repeat.

I dont remember anybody offering, just Dubas overpaying.

Offer sheets talk is just that talk. Nobody is doing it because it's most likely a bad deal.

Jun 27, 2005
Lets see where he ends up before proclaiming this shall we? Marner is an absolutely amazing player...but it's no coincidence that he upped his career high by almost 30 points the same year Tavares showed up,

The day Marner got away from Blozak and JVR and started playing with Marleau and Kadri he was scoring at something like 1.15PPG. It has nothing to do with Tavares because Hyman cancels out a large part of that. Put a real top line left winger on that line and they all easily get over 100 points.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It’s annoying that we can’t have common discussion about anything Leaf related without a bus load of haters talking **** and presenting everything as doom and gloom.

It reflects incredibly poorly yet some have no shame, I guess.
You ever stop to think that your own bias plays as much part in their opinion coming off as gloom and doom as what's intended? Just because you don't like what you're reading does not make the postet a hater or their message doom and gloom.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Bigger story be who has the balls to offersheet Binnington to outrageous amount so the blues would have to think long and hard.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The day Marner got away from Blozak and JVR and started playing with Marleau and Kadri he was scoring at something like 1.15PPG. It has nothing to do with Tavares because Hyman cancels out a large part of that. Put a real top line left winger on that line and they all easily get over 100 points.
I get that, my point was, depending on what team is OSing him, who is he playing with there?

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I would, id rather have 1 marner at 12.5 instead of 3 roussel/beagles. Draft is usually awful for the Canucks too so yeah take the picks lol. Not saying this is something we should do but ive lost alot of faith in Vancouver's player development and cap management so why not.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Bigger story be who has the balls to offersheet Binnington to outrageous amount so the blues would have to think long and hard.

Only thing they're thinking long and hard about is whether they want sangria or champagne yet again in the Cup on a hot summer day.

Reactions: PWJunior

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
For Mitchell Marner?

As a Hawks fan, I'd do it every year including the 3rd overall this year on top only because while you have a 75% chance the player taken with such a high pick this year will be as valuable as MM, the odds get slimmer and slimmer every year after.

Locking up players during their prime years is the new vogue. In two years, 12.5 won't look so bad. Especially for a player of Marners talents.

Would Marner put the Hawks closer to a Cup? Yes.

That's why teams would do it.

Four first round picks, especially late first rounders, don't have as much value as many want or wish to think. Currency to move up on draft day? Sure, if a teams willing to trade down for quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00