Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
So you're telling me that if Marner signs an OS with another team, then it's draft picks ONLY and those 2 teams can't agree on a trade? Doesn't Toronto have 7 days to match, you can work out a trade in that time.

May want to re-check that boss.

Yes that's exactly what I'm telling you. As soon as the OS is signed it's binding. The team then has 7 days to decide if they want to exercise their right of first refusal. The player can't be traded during that time.

I'm not sure exactly what you want me to double check.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Can the signing team trade him? Could be an interesting way to circumvent the cap.

Marner->Phoenix @12M

Phoenix trades Marner, 50% retained to TO, for their 4 1sts back, and like 4 TO 1sts.

edit: I have put 0 thought into the actual value of the trade. It's just an example.

As far as I can tell yeah, there's no restriction on the signing team if the OS isn't matched. However, I believe the league has some power to step in and stop a trade if they think it goes against the spirit of the CBA and the cap system. They probably wouldn't be happy about that one.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Yes that's exactly what I'm telling you. As soon as the OS is signed it's binding. The team then has 7 days to decide if they want to exercise their right of first refusal. The player can't be traded during that time.

Then they match and trade immediately. Or they don’t match and technically trade the 1sts.

It’s not a complicated premise

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
$10,568,590 and over: Four first-round picks

He's not going to get an offer sheet for 4 1st round picks, it just wont happen.

That team would have to have the strongest prospect pools ever to do that.

see Columbus

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
From my understanding, the Leafs would have 7 days to decide to match or not. During that time, the other team and the Leafs can negotiate a trade. If a trade is agreed upon, then the other team gets Marner at the OS parameters.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I remember all of this talk during the Shea Weber OS fiasco with Philly.

10.3 Offer Sheet and First Refusal Procedures.
(a) When a Restricted Free Agent receives an offer to sign an SPC from any Club
(the "New Club") other than his Prior Club, which offer the Player desires to accept, he shall
give to the Prior Club, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, a completed certificate substantially
in the form of Exhibit 6 attached hereto (the "Offer Sheet"), signed by the Restricted Free Agent
and the New Club, which shall contain the "Principal Terms" (as defined below) as well as all
other terms of compensation of the New Club's offer. The Prior Club, within seven (7) days after
the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which
shall have the legal consequence set forth below. Once an Offer Sheet for a Restricted Free
Agent has been received by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not Trade or otherwise Assign its
Right of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.

Though it was pointed out to you before... but you disregarded. Here's the full explanation. You cannot trade the player.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

@mouser Can we get a clarification on this issue. I absolutely remember Philly and Nashville being in trade negotiations during the Weber signing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's not going to get an offer sheet for 4 1st round picks, it just wont happen.

Classic HF bias. Prospects are not worth as much as Marner. He just turned 22, so he helps your future more than 4 1sts would. The only teams that wouldn't apply to are teams repeatedly drafting in the top 7 or 8 of the draft.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Then they match and trade immediately. Or they don’t match and technically trade the 1sts.

It’s not a complicated premise

You can't trade the player for a year after matching an offer sheet.

Yeah, of course you can trade the picks. That's not really what people were talking about though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
no, i
A RFA signing is not the same as a UFA signing, no?
No, it isn't. But does that give GMs a pass for paying Skinner 9 million? My point is directly at people only talking about Dubas when speaking to overpays. 6.96 for a 22 year old with 2 straight 60+ point years is an overpay, but 9x8 for 27 year old career high 63 point Skinner is OK? Why? Because if Buffalo didn't do it another GM would? All that proves is that at least 2 GMs are stupid.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
You can't trade the player for a year after matching an offer sheet.

Yeah, of course you can trade the picks. That's not really what people were talking about though.
Then the not matching it option

And yes it’s what people are talking about. Working out an alternative compensation to match needs better

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
@mouser Can we get a clarification on this issue. I absolutely remember Philly and Nashville being in trade negotiations during the Weber signing.
I remember Jay Feaster signing Ryan O’Reilly.. could have lost him on waivers and still had to compensate the Avs. Dumb people are everywhere.

This rule is a pretty easy one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, if he signs an offer sheet Dubas should just trade him instead of accepting picks. :facepalm:

People in here writing essays without a clue :laugh:
The optics would be bad for Dubas and the Leafs if Marner signs an OS to play elsewhere. What happened to he would take a team discount to play in his hometown Leafs fans were saying. This would be the 3rd player on record that has voluntarily accepted a move to another organization this summer since Dubas became the GM. Not exactly the stable everyone wants to play for Toronto narrative that some would have us believe.

For the record, I believe Marner will be signed by the Leafs when it is all said and done. I have not seen any proof that Dubas will not bend over to an Agents demands yet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If that's the case, he'll be dealt draft weekend.

If Dubas gets the indication that Marner is going to sign an offer-sheet that they won't be comfortable matching, he'll trade him before hand to get more than just draft picks back.

12.5M is hilariously insane. I love Marner. Watched him with the Knights, have a Knights jersey with his name on it, and watching him with the Leafs, with a Leaf jersey with his name on it... but not even I can justify that contract.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
no, i

No, it isn't. But does that give GMs a pass for paying Skinner 9 million? My point is directly at people only talking about Dubas when speaking to overpays. 6.96 for a 22 year old with 2 straight 60+ point years is an overpay, but 9x8 for 27 year old career high 63 point Skinner is OK? Why? Because if Buffalo didn't do it another GM would? All that proves is that at least 2 GMs are stupid.
Every single poster not based in buffalo called that signing atrocious so not sure what your point is.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Because banking on picks is a risky situation for the Leafs.

They need help now.

I'd rather do Pulock + Wahlstrom or something like that vs waiting 4 years
That's not the point. If the Leafs are worried he wants to test FA, why wouldn't the team that puts an offer in not be worried too? Then picture the number of assets I gotta send Toronto only to see him say thanks but no thanks, now I wind up with the draft picks? I think that is super risky unless you know you're going to blow him away with an offer he cannot refuse.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
That wouldn’t be out of spite? The Leafs need defense. If they suddenly don’t have to pay Marner, why wouldn’t they target a good young D man like Provorov or Sanheim?

HF struggles. :laugh:

The Leafs could definitely use a defenseman, and if they would offer sheet those players in a vacuum scenario with cap space, then do it. I'm saying that it's not smart to make personnel decisions solely based on revenge, which is what the other poster was implying.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

According to some articles about the situation, the Flyers were trying to make a trade happen and possibly using the threat of the offer sheet. But that was all before the offer was actually signed.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

Um.... None of those four first round picks will be as good as marner.

So, instead of paying the guy what he's worth, Leafs fans are OK with a quantity for quality trade. Good.... Very good.

I want to see this happen only because a team destroyed of its best young player (sorry AM) has never happened before and is uncharted waters.

As it stands, I do think the Leafs ruin their depth and resign him.

For the anti-Leafs fans, this is win/win regardless and great drama.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yea top 5 forward. Kid will be putting up 100 point seasons in his prime. Something wrong?
Lets see where he ends up before proclaiming this shall we? Marner is an absolutely amazing player...but it's no coincidence that he upped his career high by almost 30 points the same year Tavares showed up,

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I remember Jay Feaster signing Ryan O’Reilly.. could have lost him on waivers and still had to compensate the Avs.

This rule is a pretty easy one.
Ok but I'm a 100% sure those teams were talking trade so there must be some way around it. If im wrong I'm wrong no problem admitting that. But I know what I remember going on around here at the time and the cba that was signed after that offer sheet might of changed the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad