Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
As an Islanders fan, I'd have to pass at that price. The Islanders don't currently have someone to finish Marner's passes.

As a Canucks fan, no, we are not able to yet. Marner does not make us a contender. I'd look at teams that are on the upswing and are a piece or 2 away. If I'm the Avs, who have 2 1sts this this year and a solid young core, I'd maybe consider it. You can always make deals that get picks back.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'm sorry Leafs fans.

This is going to hurt. Either losing a star in Marner and taking the complimentary second prize of four first picks or losing alot of depth needed to actually make a Cup run, the dog bites both hands.

Look at St. Louis, depth.

And for those of you saying "take four first round picks", its like being the runner up on the dating game. You don't get the big prize, but you still get something.

Look at the Oilers first round draft picks during the cap era and tell me just how rock solid first round draft picks are and those were mostly.... No....those were all high draft picks with many being first overall, lol.
most people are talking about taking the 4 - 1st round picks plus the added cap space. sign a guy like Panarin or Karlsson and use the picks for other moves/trades.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Ok. Colardo has 37m in cap space with 10 players to be signed. Marner and Rantantan take 22m. Now it's just 15m with 8 players to be signed...excluding 3.5m in potential bonuses.. Now Avs are almost at the cap.
Maybe the Avs aren't a lottery team but they certainly are at risk of not having much cap flexibility.
Let’s see, some higher end estimates...
37mil under current cap. 41 mil if 83mil

Rantanen at 10mil
Marner at 12mil
Zadorov at 4.5mil
Kerfoot at 3.5mil
Compher at 3mil
Kamanev at 1mil
Graves at 1mil

6mil in cap space

6.25 from Soderberg and Barberio coming off the books next year, + cap increase

I think they’ll be fine

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Colorado, Carolina, Philly, Jersey, NYI... this teams are in win now or should be exiting their rebuild.

Maybe not Jersey, but there’s a lot of cap for a lot of teams out there.

I think Colorado will have their own cap issues when they have to sign their own guys. Maybe they are willing to kick that issue down the road and sign Marner now. Same thing with Philly.

I also don't see NYI, NJ or Carolina as good enough teams that Marner makes them anything other than 2nd tier teams in the East.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Ok. Colardo has 37m in cap space with 10 players to be signed. Marner and Rantantan take 22m. Now it's just 15m with 8 players to be signed...excluding 3.5m in potential bonuses.. Now Avs are almost at the cap.
Maybe the Avs aren't a lottery team but they certainly are at risk of not having much cap flexibility.
Thats also assuming Rantanen takes 9.5 after watching Mitch get 12.5 (reported). Unlikely given that the offer sheet influences the offer-team's internal cap structure.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The chickens are coming home to roost for the inept handling of Nylander. The boy GM is getting his rear end kicked around by the adults.

Reactions: CDN24

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I would much rather pursue Kapanen who would be significantly cheaper to acquire and pay.

The most fun option would be if someone OS's Marner, Toronto matches, Isles OS Kapanen. :)

OS Kapanen is a waste of an OS, IMO. Sure, the comp is reasonable, but why make an enemy over....Kapanen? No offense to him - he's a solid player, but hardly the game-breaker that we're in need of.

If we're gonna OS someone, just go all in on one of the big boys.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The chickens are coming home to roost for the inept handling of Nylander. The boy GM is getting his rear end kicked around by the adults.

If Marner is offersheeted, itd be pretty good evidence there is a ton of collusion in the NHL amongst GMs. There has been very, very few offersheets in the past 10 years when the GM club was pretty much the Country Club made up of identical types of GMs. Then an "outsider" comes in an an offersheet is finally given out. This despite numerous times when teams were in much worse shape cap space wise with just of good of players and nothing happened

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Let’s see, some higher end estimates...
37mil under current cap. 41 mil if 83mil

Rantanen at 10mil
Marner at 12mil
Zadorov at 4.5mil
Kerfoot at 3.5mil
Compher at 3mil
Kamanev at 1mil
Graves at 1mil

6mil in cap space

6.25 from Soderberg and Barberio coming off the books next year, + cap increase

I think they’ll be fine
Question...why is Rantanen taking 10 after Marner gets 12?

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If Marner is offersheeted, itd be pretty good evidence there is a ton of collusion in the NHL amongst GMs. There has been very, very few offersheets in the past 10 years when the GM club was pretty much the Country Club made up of identical types of GMs. Then an "outsider" comes in an an offersheet is finally given out. This despite numerous times when teams were in much worse shape cap space wise with just of good of players and nothing happened
:huh:
That’s some paranoia there

Reactions: CDN24

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Hold on a second... You think that (i) GM's have colluded NOT to (ii) keep down salaries of in-control players (reasonable explanation), BUT INSTEAD to (iii) freeze out new-school boy wonder GM's?

:joker:

That Toronto persecution complex is a THING.

Reactions: CDN24 and PWJunior

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hold on a second... You think that (i) GM's have colluded (reasonable) NOT to (ii) keep down salaries of in-control players, BUT INSTEAD to (iii) freeze out new-school boy wonder GM's?

I think that GMs have actively not offersheeted players becuase they didn't want to drive the price of players- which is pretty much indisputable at this time

And yes I believe another reason for not offer sheeting was they didnt want to piss off their buddies.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If he signs a 12.5 contract I'll drive him to the airport myself and collect the four 1st's

Goodluck with the rest of the contracts NHL cause the leafs will be done with that and Matthews and Nylander will look like steals

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If the last 10+ years of hockey has taught us anything, it’s that *no one* in the league is worth that much of the team’s cap percentage......of the end goal is to win a cup.

Whichever team signs Marner to 12.5 million, is signing their own death warrant in terms of aspirations for a cup.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If Marner even signs that, the Leafs would just match that and make the cap work... even if that means losing one of Kapanen/Johnsson for a lame return.

This was my thought as well. If MM would sign a 4 year deal at $10.5M the team would just give up 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd round DP's. At that level, I assume the Leafs would match, and then figure out what has to happen on the other end.

The big thing is - would MM sign a $10.5M contract? And if he signed a 4 year deal, that gets him his UFA as soon as possible, so he might go down that road instead of having to give up prime UFA years by signing a longer term deal.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Yep these posts are just antagonizing Leaf fans as well. Probably won’t be any offer sheets. If there is Leafs can snag other players in same fashion. Mariner is too small for that kind of $$. Regardless of skill if you can’t penetrate the offensive zone to get to the net in the playoffs then your not worth that kind of $$. I know he’s a favourite, but you have to produce in the playoffs. STL showed size does matter last night.

Your talking out of your ass. So you think marner is not producing in the playoffs?
Do you know that the leafs have been in the playoffs all three years of his ELC.

So have Matthews and Nylander

Would you like to know who has scored the most points in the playoffs for these three years

I’ll give you a hint it’s not Nylander or Matthews. Hope you can figure out who has the most points.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Any team that offer sheets him can expect not only the leafs, but if they have nba or MLB teams to have our teams go after them any way we can. Is that worth it?
So Masai Ujiri is gonna poach players from those NBA cities because Mitch signs an offer sheet to play in that city? Yeah, I’m sure that’s exactly what will happen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd like to see a list of teams that have the cap space and feel comfortable giving up 4- 1st's where they feel those 1st round picks would be 16-31 range every year?

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

lol this post sure is something

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hold on a second... You think that (i) GM's have colluded NOT to (ii) keep down salaries of in-control players (reasonable explanation), BUT INSTEAD to (iii) freeze out new-school boy wonder GM's?

That Toronto persecution complex is a THING.
On here it is....otherwise maybe "a friend of a guy i know that cleans the porta-potties in Jurassic Park told me Laine/Aho/Point/Rantanen are getting 12 billion dollar offersheet" threads would be on here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad