Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Offer sheet from Colorado. 4 1st round picks going the other way.

Forward group: Mackinnon, landeskog, Marner and rantanen

Defense group: makes, Byram, Girard, barrie

I’d feel comfortable with that group going forward to give up 4 first rounders knowing the first one is 16th overall. I’d expect the next 3 to all be lower

Reactions: tellermine

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

I’d feel comfortable with that group going forward to give up 4 first rounders knowing the first one is 16th overall. I’d expect the next 3 to all be lower

The 2019 draft pick (16th overall) would not be included as the draft occurs before Colorado has a chance to offer sheet. So it would be the 2020 - 2023 1st round picks for the Avs.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Draft occurs prior to free agency, so the first pick is a 2020 1st.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

Yeah.
Thats the way to play.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The indignation is amusing.

In the tiny chance that Marner actually signs an OS and Toronto decides not to match, I think working out a trade is the more realistic course of action rather than Dubas deciding to take future draft picks. The Leafs are in their contention window now, taking picks and not getting immediate help is completely incongruent with the current goal of the franchise. This boatload of cap space that you speak of is pretty much already spoken for without Marner in the mix, that cap space is more mirage than anything great. How can you have boatloads of cap space when you already have twin #11M centers on the roster? The team is built to win now and the window is wide open for maybe 3-4 years before Reilly gets paid hard, your to be 29 year old #2C continues to get older, your #1C signed for only 5 years with the last year of it having a full NMC so really 4 more years of team control, etc.

The Leafs don't have their 1st this year and any OS compensation draft picks don't start until next year's draft. While offering up 2 2020 1sts is nice to a rebuilding team, anything beyond that like 2021 1sts is going to get a confused look rather than agreement from another GM. In any trade, Marner will be the best asset and generally the return isn't going to be earth shattering. Young roster player, top prospect, 1st, and maybe another 1st/2nd is the typical price of a star player such as Marner in blockbuster deals. That's assuming Toronto loses no leverage with the fact the other team already has Marner signed to their OS and Toronto deciding not to match. That 8 figure cap hit does play a role in this too and it probably isn't a favorable factor for Toronto to maximize any return.

I fully expect Marner to be re-signed, but thumping your chest about the best case scenario if you lose Marner is not a good look. Losing Marner to an OS is a big L for Toronto, no matter how you slice it.

Not indignation...amusement.
The cap space is real.
I can guarantee you that Marleau and Zaitsev will be traded to free up cap space, either for Marner or someone else (Panarin, Trouba, Provorov, Sanheim...).
Do you honestly believe that the difference between Marner and any of those listed (even factoring in the cost to secure one of them) is greater than four first round picks?

Reactions: Liferleafer

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You ever stop to think that your own bias plays as much part in their opinion coming off as gloom and doom as what's intended? Just because you don't like what you're reading does not make the postet a hater or their message doom and gloom.
You’re unfamiliar with me? Here I thought you and @PWJunior were fans? :laugh:

I’m as critical as anyone of the team and management, but I try to be honest and informed when I speak... Apparently that isn’t important to some. :D

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If Marner's the only one who signs an inflated deal I guess you can call Leaf fans out. But if Rantanen, Point, Aho and (already happened) Skinner start getting inflated deals maybe you can point me to the fans who predicted the market inflating at such a high rate?
I discussed the inflating RFA market that was coming last summer when the Leafs upcoming RFAs were being discussed. Many disagreed and many Leafs fans were in denial, but there were more than a few posters who had similar thoughts. This has been coming for a few years now ever since the Mcdavid Eichel Draisaitl contracts were signed.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That's not how offer sheets work. The other team won't care since he's not their property until the RFA period starts
That's not how offer sheets work. The other team won't care since he's not their property until the RFA period starts
I realized I used a poor choice of words. When I was talking about the offer, I was referring to what they would offer in trade, not the offer sheet. So what I meant was, why woyld I trade for Marner before the free agency period began unless I knew my offer was going to blow him away, in which case, really, why trade for him at all? Just make the offer when the date comes and take your chances. Then if Toronto wants to negotiate a different return you have some leverage.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I'm sorry Leafs fans.

This is going to hurt. Either losing a star in Marner and taking the complimentary second prize of four first picks or losing alot of depth needed to actually make a Cup run, the dog bites both hands.

Look at St. Louis, depth.

And for those of you saying "take four first round picks", its like being the runner up on the dating game. You don't get the big prize, but you still get something.

Look at the Oilers first round draft picks during the cap era and tell me just how rock solid first round draft picks are and those were mostly.... No....those were all high draft picks with many being first overall, lol.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What about their next top forward that's up for a contract? Or their #2-3 guys who don't want to make half of the top guy's salary.
A bunch of top-end forwards that earn the right to ask for a lot of money is not exactly a bad problem to have. A lot of teams wish they were in such a predicament.

Reactions: Ciao

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would, id rather have 1 marner at 12.5 instead of 3 roussel/beagles. Draft is usually awful for the Canucks too so yeah take the picks lol. Not saying this is something we should do but ive lost alot of faith in Vancouver's player development and cap management so why not.
I say go for it!!

Reactions: TheNewKid
Oct 18, 2011
The Leafs should take the picks if no team steps up with a trade

The leafs will probably be contenders for awhile, going into the next 4 TDL/Drafts armed with 8 first round picks is the ammo that can eventually bring back another top line winger just a more affordable one

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm sorry Leafs fans.

This is going to hurt. Either losing a star in Marner and taking the complimentary second prize of four first picks or losing alot of depth needed to actually make a Cup run, the dog bites both hands.

Look at St. Louis, depth.

And for those of you saying "take four first round picks", its like being the runner up on the dating game. You don't get the big prize, but you still get something.

Look at the Oilers first round draft picks during the cap era and tell me just how rock solid first round draft picks are and those were mostly.... No....those were all high draft picks with many being first overall, lol.
While value wise 4 1sts is underwhelming...but add to that the cap space not used on Marner and the options are endless when looking at improving other areas.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You’re unfamiliar with me? Here I thought you and @PWJunior were fans? :laugh:

I’m as critical as anyone of the team and management, but I try to be honest and informed when I speak... Apparently that isn’t important to some. :D
Actually I'm quite familiar witn your posts as you stick out cause of your avatar. I had that poster as a kid. You generally been level headed and one of the better leaf posters. But I've noticed you've been more hostile and baity this off-season for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00